• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
plenty of missing her. But we spoke this morning and had a bit of a blowout. ****.

Pretty sure that I read in the "What would Matt do?" thread that you aren't supposed to be calling your ex's and getting into blowouts.

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******** up hard tonight, and since none of my friends are awake i have to resort to styleforum.

How the hell do you tell the person you love you are loosing your attraction to them, without breaking their heart? I have tried to be discrete about it, talking about how we should be eating healthier, inviting her to go for jogs and bike rides with me, but i just felt like she stopped trying.

I feel like ****, i really love her, but im 22 and we rarely ******** anymore. I am lucky to have her, and for her to put up with me, i never wanted to hurt her like this

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
******** up hard tonight, and since none of my friends are awake i have to resort to styleforum. How the hell do you tell the person you love you are loosing your attraction to them, without breaking their heart? I have tried to be discrete about it, talking about how we should be eating healthier, inviting her to go for jogs and bike rides with me, but i just felt like she stopped trying. I feel like ****, i really love her, but im 22 and we rarely ******** anymore. I am lucky to have her, and for her to put up with me, i never wanted to hurt her like this
Sometimes you've just got to put on your big boy diaper and say what's got to be said. I admire your attempt to sugar coat the situation, but hints and suggestions don't do it justice and neither does not telling the person you love exactly how you feel.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Pretty sure that I read in the "What would Matt do?" thread that you aren't supposed to be calling your ex's and getting into blowouts.
well theoretically we weren't gonna do the distance thing but we were gonna stay in pretty close touch and see where the future would lead us - she will likely be back again in December, timeframe for that stay is completely up in the air though. The stay in contact thing really hasn't worked out, and therein lay the theme of the blowout.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
******** up hard tonight, and since none of my friends are awake i have to resort to styleforum. How the hell do you tell the person you love you are loosing your attraction to them, without breaking their heart? I have tried to be discrete about it, talking about how we should be eating healthier, inviting her to go for jogs and bike rides with me, but i just felt like she stopped trying. I feel like ****, i really love her, but im 22 and we rarely ******** anymore. I am lucky to have her, and for her to put up with me, i never wanted to hurt her like this
ya, see this is more a WWMD. I have been here too. I am old. Damn. If I were you I would take what you just told the internet and reverse it....as follows: 1. I am lucky to have her, and for her to put up with me 2. I feel like ****, i really love her 3. we rarely ******** 4. i just felt like she stopped trying 5. so, what's up? that said, after the morning I've had...take that with many many grains of salt.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better you're the dumper than the dumped. Sex is a barometer in a relationship. If it wasn't happening, then neither were you two.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe in clean breaks. My gf broke it off 1.5 months ago and I've resisted all contact. She's tried but I just emailed her that i'm not interested in being friends right now. Someday but not now. In other news I have a date with a hot chick tonight!

Beta

Reaction score
well there goes 8 months...the week after we fly up to meet my family. she just stopped trying...maybe both mom and dad having 3 divorces each should have told me something.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke up with my GF over a week ago, just because I moved about 3k miles away. Screw long distance relationships. Was only with her a couple months so not too upset.

Jethro Tull

Reaction score
At least you realized it wasn't going anywhere and you were able to follow through.

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Broke up with my GF over a week ago, just because I moved about 3k miles away. Screw long distance relationships. Was only with her a couple months so not too upset.
Must use this opportunity now for crushing other *****!
wink.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Yup. FWIW you did the right thing man. I did the distance thing for two miserable years with the only girl I ever thought I would marry. Even then it didn't work out, and even now I miss her. Still, when the most recent one moved away, as soon as she told me, I said 'that's the end of us' - I just wasn't even willing to try it again, let alone with someone that I really liked, but definitely didn't love. We enjoyed our last month together, hugged at the airport, and she left. It still stung a bit, no doubt, but it was the right thing to do. I have two friends in similar boats at the moment. One guy whose girlfriend went back to the US for medical school. 4 years + 2 residency. Theyre great people and they were great together, but I give them no chance whatsoever. Another mate has just had his gf go back to the US for graduate school. Those two were friends for a long time before they got together, so they had a really good foundation when it finally happened, and they were fantastic as a couple. They maaaaay be able to make it work...I probably still wouldn't bet on it, but maaaaybe.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
ya, see this is more a WWMD. I have been here too. I am old. Damn.

If I were you I would take what you just told the internet and reverse it....as follows:

1. I am lucky to have her, and for her to put up with me
2. I feel like ****, i really love her
3. we rarely ********
4. i just felt like she stopped trying

5. so, what's up?

that said, after the morning I've had...take that with many many grains of salt.

Trying to figure out what that means. Would love to hear some more about it. Are you saying for him to say that to his GF or to analyze the situation in that order? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads