• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Can this be pinned?

I'll message in the mods thread...

PS - re " Originally Posted by hopkins_student
Last night I was having dinner with my wife and I meant to say, "please pass the bread." Instead I said, "**** you, you stupid *****, you've ruined my life."
Oh wait, I didn't say that."

You know the joke about this one?

A guy boards a train bound for Pittsburgh and sits down in his seat.
He immediately notices that the guy next to him has a deeply bruised,
black eye. "Heck, what a coincidence! We both have black eyes! Mind if
I ask how you got yours?"

"Well," explains the man, "I was at the ticket counter and this
gorgeous blonde with beautiful breasts was behind the counter. When I
asked to purchase a ticket to Pittsburgh, I accidentally blurted out
"˜I'd like a picket to Tittsburgh' and so she sucker-punched me!" The
man continues, "What's your story?"

The other guy explains, "I was at the breakfast table and I meant to
say to my wife, "˜Please pour me a bowl of Wheaties,' but I
accidentally said, "˜You ruined my life you stupid *****.'"

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahaha. BTW congrats on the pin! MC has done good for once.

twinpeaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by devin
Can anyone suggest where to get a reasonably affordable (say, <~$60 USD) glove in the style here:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/...lglovesweb.jpg

Most interested in the natural color and the detailing on the back of the hand (that seems to be the hardest element to find). The reverse seams don't really matter.

Have you tried LL Bean? The gloves have a rugged outdoor sportsman quality to them.

hac_Jedi

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum, and this seems like the right place...

I'm a cheapskate (and on a tight budget), so I usually don't spend more than $75 for a pair of shoes. (I also beat my shoes to death; constant outdoor/indoor use.) Can you recommend a quality shoe that I could find on sale for not more than $100?

I noticed that Bostonians get a bad rap here, but I loved the style of the last Bostonians I had... Does anyone know where I could find a specific style if I don't remember the "name?" Or could you recommend a better brand with the same style (but not too $$$)? I attached two pics of the shoes.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im starting my shoe collection over. I just ebay'ed a ton of shoes (mostly sperrys, chucks, vans, that sort of thing) to make way for some more 'grown up' shoes. I want to invest in some higher quality shoes that can potentially last me forever. After reading This article on Valet, Ive decided my first pair is going to be a brown wingtip. I want them to be as versatile as possible, as I have adopted a 'uniform' mindset wrt my wardrobe and do not want to own 1,000 pairs of shoes. Im new to the style game, so I have some questions:

Can these be worn with jeans as well as a suit?

Derby/Bluchers vs Balmorals. Is either ever more appropriate than the other, or does it not matter?

Can anyone recommend another brand/style to look into before I purchase the Aldens? I looked at the Allen Edmond McAllister, but I dont really like it as much.

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hac_Jedi
This is my first post on the forum, and this seems like the right place...

I'm a cheapskate (and on a tight budget), so I usually don't spend more than $75 for a pair of shoes. (I also beat my shoes to death; constant outdoor/indoor use.) Can you recommend a quality shoe that I could find on sale for not more than $100?

I noticed that Bostonians get a bad rap here, but I loved the style of the last Bostonians I had... Does anyone know where I could find a specific style if I don't remember the "name?" Or could you recommend a better brand with the same style (but not too $$$)? I attached two pics of the shoes.

For only a few bucks more (let's say $130 tops), you can probably find comparably styled but much better quality shoes at the Rack.

Screndib

Reaction score
I found a good price for a Hickey style suit online so I picked it up. It's a 36R, the jacket needs to have the sleeves lengthened 1/2-1" and I need a little bit more room around the waist, but overall it looks good to my amateur eye.

The problem is the pants, they are tight. I usually wear a little under a 31" waist, so the 7" drop and slim fit are a problem. I can just barely get them on and buttoned, but they really hug the crotch and ass, certainly not anything I'd want to go out in public in. From the middle of the thigh on down they seem fine.

I know I'll only know for sure by going to a tailor and having them tell me what they can do, but before I do that I'd like to know if this is worth bothering with or if there's no chance of being able to alter these enough to fit without making them look off.

I don't want to force it and I can always return the suit, but if it is possible to get the pants fitted correctly I'm inclined to do it as I'm trying to find a suit in time for a wedding I'm to attend on the 15th of September. I've been looking around in stores for a lot of last week, but the only other suit that's in my price range that I've really liked is a Hugo Boss black label (pasolini/movie) for full retail of ~$850 after tax and I'm aware of the level of (dis)respect those get around here. Getting the Hickey fully tailored for almost half that is a lot more attractive.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by devin View Post
Can anyone suggest where to get a reasonably affordable (say, <~$60 USD) glove in the style here:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/...lglovesweb.jpg

Most interested in the natural color and the detailing on the back of the hand (that seems to be the hardest element to find). The reverse seams don't really matter.
Sounds like you want a "driver's glove", like this one from Memphis Glove, doesn't have the raised seams on the back, but it's on the right track.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...300&height=300

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A theoretical question...

Can a peak lapel be turned into a notch lapel? It strikes me as both a major yet seemingly simple operation, but I guess that depends on how it's done.

click here

Reaction score
1. Is a cotton black tie inappropriate for business wear?

2. Just bought a pants (made of 100% wool) with a label that says dry clean only. Is it alright if I hand wash it instead?

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Any tips for good quality slim-fitting wool trousers? I only wear a suit to work for certain meetings, so my work wardrobe in cooler weather is &quot;office pants&quot; with button-downs, crew-neck sweaters/cardigans and an occasional tie.

- I like a tapered leg but the openings don't have to be GQ narrow.
- Somewhere in ballpark of $100 a pair
- Prefer light and medium grays and navy
- Flat-front (I'm correct in believing flat-front pants still have a crease down the middle, just no pleats, right?).
- I would like to try them on in store (I live in Boston) instead of ordering online

Any opinions on stores to check out or labels to look for at department stores? I see Incotex mentioned a lot but don't know where to find them.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimbo26
Any tips for good quality slim-fitting wool trousers? I only wear a suit to work for certain meetings, so my work wardrobe in cooler weather is "office pants" with button-downs, crew-neck sweaters/cardigans and an occasional tie.

- I like a tapered leg but the openings don't have to be GQ narrow.
- Somewhere in ballpark of $100 a pair
- Prefer light and medium grays and navy
- Flat-front (I'm correct in believing flat-front pants still have a crease down the middle, just no pleats, right?).
- I would like to try them on in store (I live in Boston) instead of ordering online

Any opinions on stores to check out or labels to look for at department stores? I see Incotex mentioned a lot but don't know where to find them.

There's like seriously a 1000 threads in the MC section of the Buying & Selling forums, a simple search of Incotex should bring those up.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
There's like seriously a 1000 threads in the MC section of the Buying & Selling forums, a simple search of Incotex should bring those up.

I have trust issues and don't want to get burned if someone sells me women's trousers.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
1. Is a cotton black tie inappropriate for business wear?

2. Just bought a pants (made of 100% wool) with a label that says dry clean only. Is it alright if I hand wash it instead?

NO

NO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads