• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations tailor in Vienna, Austria?

tractorcasual

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good alterations tailor in Vienna, Austria? I have just bought a very nice Sartoria Napoli suit from eBay that needs to be taken in around the waist of the jacket. Given the nature of the work I'm not sure my usual tailor is the best man for the job. He's great at altering trouser legs and trimming blousy shirts, but altering a Neopolitan suit jacket may be too big a challenge.

A helpful poster at the German-language www.styleandtheman.eu forum recommended Kaider in Bäckerstraße, who I know very little about. Before I go there I just wanted to see if any Wieners on the board had any other suggestions. Thanks.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tractorcasual
.........if any Wieners on the board

In English Wieners are sausages, not the inhabitants of Vienna.

A bit like Kennedy, when he said: "Ich bin ein Berliner" (in German, a Berliner is a doughnut).

risto

Reaction score
Jungmann & Neffe at Albertinaplatz 3. Tailor in on Thursday and Saturday afternoons.

tractorcasual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by risto
Jungmann & Neffe at Albertinaplatz 3. Tailor in on Thursday and Saturday afternoons.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually had two suits made bespoke by Mr. Zahradnik, the Slovakian tailor at Jungmann and Neffe. I didn't think he would do alterations of a suit he did not make himself, I'll phone and ask.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh well, what about: "Ich bin ein Pariser!"? - (I am a condom)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.lambert-hofer.at

just got this recommendation from an old viennese friend. omar sharif shouldn't be wrong. rj knows that.

tractorcasual

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Fritzl.

In the end I took the suit to Schneider Maurer on Kärntner Strasse 5/7. as they were recommended to me separately by Jungmann & Neffe and Knize. The tailor at Jungmann and Neffe is too busy to do alterations to anything that he did not make himself, which is fair enough. Amazingly, the staff at Knize recommended that I use Maurer over their own tailor, as Maurer is half the price for the same quailty of work. My first impressions when I dropped the suit off were very positive. I will pick the suit up on Friday, let's see how the finished product looks.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
http://www.lambert-hofer.at

just got this recommendation from an old viennese friend. omar sharif shouldn't be wrong. rj knows that.

Naja, aber es war fuer Filme-Kostuemen... for The Night of the Generals, where the Nazi costume they supplied Omar almost got him lynched when he went out for a coffee, and for Mayerling...

tractorcasual

Reaction score
Schneider und Maurer at Kärntner Strasse 5/7 did a great job for EUR 86,00. I am happy with the result and will use them again. This is the first time I have had a RTW suit adjusted and I was concerned that bringing in the waist so much would ruin the nice Neopolitan lines - however I shouldn't have worried, it looks great. Of course, one or two details of the fit are not quite perfect - but considering that altogether this cost me a third of the price of bespoke I am very pleased. For the price they reduced the jacket waist, fixed the hang of a sleeve, let out and cuffed the trousers and reattached the collar after taking some cloth out of the upper back of the jacket.

Schneider und Maurer seem to be a very professional setup. English is not spoken. Prices are about the same as those of the regular Änderungsschneider found all across Vienna.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads