• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you employ an attorney that didn't wear a suit and tie to meetings?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is inspired by a conversation in WAYWRN thread....

Obviously a male attorney has to wear a suit and tie (no matter how un-stylish, cheap and/ or ill-fitting it may be) to a court appearance; but how would you feel about an attorney that would show up to a settlement conference, deposition, mediation or a first meeting with you wearing say, khaki's and a polo?

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Where does office pants and tie lie? Could be suit pants with the jacket hanging somewhere out of sight, of course...

For me? Suit not necessary if the meeting is only with me, especially in summer. But office pants and tie at the very least. Definitely not khakis or polo. I'm not sure where to vote with that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
This is inspired by a conversation in WAYWRN thread....

Obviously a male attorney has to wear a suit and tie (no matter how un-stylish, cheap and/ or ill-fitting it may be) to a court appearance; but how would you feel about an attorney that would show up to a settlement conference, deposition, mediation or a first meeting with you wearing say, khaki's and a polo?

If he is really great, then it's fine with me.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
If he is really great, then it's fine with me.

Agreed. If he's a great lawyer and gets me what I want, I don't care if he wears a clown suit.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
The only problem is that no matter how amazing the lawyer is, I doubt an attorney in a clown suit would get taken seriously by a judge or jury. There are some limits...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We need an authority to weigh in here.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
The only problem is that no matter how amazing the lawyer is, I doubt an attorney in a clown suit would get taken seriously by a judge or jury. There are some limits...

Judge and jury sounds kinda awful...like you are well on your way to getting fuked no matter what your attorney is wearing.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
We need an authority to weigh in here.

burnbulb should be back from his brother's trial...I hope that he comments.

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
burnbulb should be back from his brother's trial...I hope that he comments.

- B

Not prestigious enough. We need MAFOOFAN.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Not prestigious enough. We need MAFOOFAN.

"I appreciated the fact that the judge was a woman, but I really would not call her attractive. Her chin was too sharp. Several of the women on the jury had bangs, so I refused to address them.

"After the first fifteen minutes, I decided to end my representation of my 'client' because he was wearing pants without pleats. I did not tell him directly, but I did post my decision on my blog, to which I had given him username and password access shortly before the trial.

"Even though my representation of my client was rescinded, I feel that I continued to argue points in his favor well since the prosecution was saying things that were illogical. They soon resorted to ad hominem attacks. I dealt with these with a level, yet large, head...but I still am puzzled why my charm did not work.

"I learned during one of the ad hominem attacks that the judge went to Radcliffe. I attribute the unfavorable outcome of the trial to that fact, but I am hopeful that my firm will let me argue the appeal.

"If I do happen to argue the appeal, I will be wearing the same shoes but in a slightly different color."

- M

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
"I appreciated the fact that the judge was a woman, but I really would not call her attractive. Her chin was too sharp. Several of the women on the jury had bangs, so I refused to address them.

"After the first fifteen minutes, I decided to end my representation of my 'client' because he was wearing pants without pleats. I did not tell him directly, but I did post my decision on my blog, to which I had given him username and password access shortly before the trial.

"Even though my representation of my client was rescinded, I feel that I continued to argue points in his favor well since the prosecution was saying things that were illogical. They soon resorted to ad hominem attacks. I dealt with these with a level, yet large, head...but I still am puzzled why my charm did not work.

"I learned during one of the ad hominem attacks that the judge went to Radcliffe. I attribute the unfavorable outcome of the trial to that fact, but I am hopeful that my firm will let me argue the appeal.

"If I do happen to argue the appeal, I will be wearing the same shoes but in a slightly different color."

- M

So mean, but so wonderfully done, I have to applaud.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
I thought the Foo wasn't a trial lawyer. Wouldn't he need a step stool to see anyone on the witness stand?

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
I want my lawyer to wear a cape.

My lawyer:

bela-lugosi-dracula-promo-photo-c10104353.jpeg

The old adage isn't always right. Lawyers can't go to hell if they're the undead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads