• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Same here. 80% of of my collection is from thrifting over the past 10-12 years. I have noticed a huge jump in people looking for records, though. I used to be the only one flipping through the crates, but nowadays there seem to be at least 2 or 3 other people digging through them. I also need to visit my local thrift that is best for records once a day to even have a chance at getting decent stuff. It's payed off, though. I have run into expensive vinyl at thrifts, though. The local Sally jacked theirs up to $1.99/LP and $.99 for 45s. I've seen others where they pick all the "valuable" stuff out (usually not valuable at all. Classic rock, Elvis and Beatles mostly) and price them at $4-$10/each. Oh well....

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Damn. That sucks. My favorite is finding double LP's for .25 - I got Van Morrison's live album 'It's too Late to Stop Now', reputed to be one of the best live albums ever, and I agree, for .25

As for today's grabs - no LP's:
Borrelli shirt, RLPL shirt, Etro shirt, RLPL flannel pants, Zegna flannel pants - all for $17.

Grainraiser

Reaction score
Had to take my son to the doctors office to get a physical for his football team. While waiting to be called I remember there was a thrift store around the corner. Walk in and found 6 Zegna dress shirts in my hard to find size. I suspect they all belonged to one donor since I found nothing else. They cost me a whopping $1.99 per shirt. I never would have walked in that place if it was not for this forum.

Grainraiser

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grainraiser
Had to take my son to the doctors office to get a physical for his football team. While waiting to be called I remember there was a thrift store around the corner. Walk in and found 6 Zegna dress shirts in my hard to find size. I suspect they all belonged to one donor since I found nothing else. They cost me a whopping $1.99 per shirt. I never would have walked in that place if it was not for this forum.

Grainraiser

I know exactly where you were at because I saw those same shirts and knew someone was going to hit paydirt. Thank God we're no where near the same size.
laugh.gif

Check that one weekly - they get really good stuff.

Johnny Zircon

Reaction score
I have noticed that 'bunching' thing quite a lot myself - one of my rules of thumb is to have a closer look through the racks if there seems to be more than one related in style and size - quite often there is more, and you can get quite a bonanza.

The other day I was visiting Canberra (usually reside Sydney, Australia) on business. I have been going to the suburban area where our Canberra office every few months for a number of years, and I have slowly been exploring the surrounds during lunch / coffee breaks. Iwas getting the sense that there must be some op shops around, and I finally hit the jack-pot - a large Vinnies and a Salvos in close proximity - and I walked away from the Vinnies with 4 shirts @ $2 a pop - all highly wearable name business shirts - only when I got back to the office did I think that I needed to cram them into my carry-on bag for the flight back - which was a bit of a squeeze, but I did it!

Yesterday was a trip into Newtown in Sydney - a few favourites - a really old fashioned local church shop (nothing this time, but great prices and nice people), a recently opened Buddhist shop 2 doors down (scored a tailor made business shirt $5) and the the Cat Protection Society close by (an irresistible Hugo Boss wool and silk jacket $8 - although I do have a serious issue with space for jackets).

By the way, I do vinyl too - I go with the $1 benchmark and I love picking up old audio-phile albums and mashing them up onto compilation CDs.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, only one thing:
Isaia sport coat, blue herringbone, 42R Vincent Model-$5.00

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Today, only one thing: Isaia sport coat, blue herringbone, 42R Vincent Model-$5.00
Great find! I love Isaia but it doesn't turn up much around here (for cheap anyway. All the consignment shops want an arm and a leg for them), despite the fact that the salesman at Neiman Marcus said it's got a great following here in the Metro area.

Hoofit

Reaction score
It has been a long dry spell for thrifting around here. I did find some TM Lewin shirts 16.5 and an Astor & Black shirt and Sport coat with surgeon cuffs. All way too small for my 6'7" frame. If anyone is interested in either of these I could go back and get them.

pejsek

Reaction score
Jack Spade tech field bag in chocolate brown with orange lining. New. $2.

Bespoke and tailored clothing finds, though, have almost disappeared. Don't know if this is a bump or just the new world.

Cognacad

Reaction score
I live in a city called Regina in Canada. It has about 200,000 people. Could I expect ever to find great deals like you guys are reporting? All I see in thrift stores here is, well, crap.

Also, what is a chain of thrift stores I should keep an eye out for?

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
I live in a city called Regina in Canada. It has about 200,000 people. Could I expect ever to find great deals like you guys are reporting? All I see in thrift stores here is, well, crap.

Also, what is a chain of thrift stores I should keep an eye out for?

well, if all you see is crap,second-hand, then there was only crap bought first-hand.
rimshot.gif

can you move?
eh.gif

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
BBBF for $550 and BB Golden Fleece 3 piece for $200 at the outlet store a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads