• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttero Work Boot vs. Frye Brando

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on either of these?

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a pair of Buttero's and they are going back. They feel really cheap IMO. Great overall shape though.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No experience with Buttero's, but you won't be disappointed with Frye's.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eckblk
I just received a pair of Buttero's and they are going back. They feel really cheap IMO. Great overall shape though.
Which ones did you get??? Cheap how, flimsy, thin leather, thin/****** stitching? I came super close to getting the black reverse calf buttero boots ($400 @Barney's), but for some reason I pulled back,,, I guess mainly 'cuz I preferred and was dead set on getting the w+h in black, but also because I thought they were to tall for my taste/needs, although they did look pretty nice in the pics, but definitely feel better now about not getting them, besides if I had kop'd, I would've probably sold them once I found the black w+h in my size anyway........

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the butteros and have bought the Fryes (brando lace) at one point and returned them immediately. IMO there is no comparison between them, the fryes are strict beater boots and could look good with wear. but the construction was rough and overall looked sloppy. This is in comparison to the butteros which has very rich leather and looked more refined in the stitching and sole edges.

In terms of how they would stand up with wear, I would say probably equally, but when viewed side by side, the butteros look 100x better IMO. I wouldn't stare at my own feet all day if I were wearing Fryes I'll tell you that. Plus the leather on the Fryes (at least the pair I received) looked nothing like the leather in the catalog picture. I may have gotten a defective pair but I don't care since I am really glad I bought the butteros.

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Had my eyes on the black Buttero and tried it during the 40% off sale at Barneys, its kinda clunky. So went with the Fiorentini + Baker. Never tried the Frye Brando.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
Which ones did you get???
Cheap how, flimsy, thin leather, thin/****** stitching?

I came super close to getting the black reverse calf buttero boots ($400 @Barney's), but for some reason I pulled back,,, I guess mainly 'cuz I preferred and was dead set on getting the w+h in black, but also because I thought they were to tall for my taste/needs, although they did look pretty nice in the pics, but definitely feel better now about not getting them, besides if I had kop'd, I would've probably sold them once I found the black w+h in my size anyway........

The construction felt really cheap, leather was not that impressive for 425 usd and I swear the sole is a really thin piece of leather glued on but I'm no boot expert. I have some experience with W+H boots and they feel much better made. I also have 2 pairs of the NiCo boots are they are super solid!!

I really like the shape of the Buttero's toebox, so maybe if they hit 40%. Rakuten shops have some really nice colors available.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynHighpost
Had my eyes on the black Buttero and tried it during the 40% off sale at Barneys, its kinda clunky. So went with the Fiorentini + Baker. Never tried the Frye Brando.

Did you get the 745s? If so, could you please post a photo? What is the sizing like? Thanks!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fryes are butt-ugly please do not get them. They make Lugz look like crystal slippers.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming from a guy who owns and loves the Frye Brando Engineer, I've tried both the black and cognac lace ups, but sent them both back. I tried to like them, but just couldn't. One issue was that they had too many eyelets and were a bit too tall for a lace up imo. I also didn't like the pebble grain leather. I then bought and kept the Butteros. They're a pretty solid, good looking boot, but they run even larger than Fryes, so keep that in mind. I bought mine a year and a half ago when they were still $375.

negusnegas

Reaction score
+1 on the Butteros. Bought them two years ago and am a big fan. The leather feels solid and the stitching and general aesthetic definitely makes them a great buy.

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
Did you get the 745s? If so, could you please post a photo? What is the sizing like? Thanks!

Yeah, the 745s at Barneys they were called Eternity. Mine was true to size. I was looking for a boot that resembles the PS Ricards, and the 745, worn with the jeans over the boots, looked the closest.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/aluk/10010489/

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody provide sizing info?
I wear a size 8 in Converse, 9 in Nikes and usually an 8 in dress shoes.
What size should I get in either the Fryes or Butteros?

Thanks.

eckblk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

sounds like a 40 in Buttero.

I'm a
9 in nikes
8.5 in chucks
8.5 in most dress shoes
9 in boots (thicker socks)

and the 41 was too big.

Eck

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eck, you should seek out some handmade boots there in Texas, somewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads