• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure. Nero D'avola, Morellino, Montepulciano, Chiantis, Barbera, Dolcetto, possibilities are endless. How about Righetti Amarone for $16?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I haven't had the Righetti Amarone, I'll keep my eyes out though. Morellino, however, is often on my table, either that or Carmigniano (both Sangiovese from Tuscany).

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
That's a whole different animal from the world of Italian wine I'm familiar with.
And I'm looking forward to begin the journey with Italian reds. When I was a kid, Italian wine was Chianti, with better Chianti Classico on a Sunday!
smile.gif
The development of Italian red wines is commensurate with CA. Very exciting. But with 2000 varietals, it's going to be a long, but fun, journey. I've had a couple of Amarones. Love that wine. And had several bottles of
ruffinolodola.jpg
. Even better when it was on sale for CAD$19.95. FTW!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Vino Nobile de Montepulciano, another great area. Sangeovese grape as usual for the region. I always thought they brought a little more oomph to the table compared to some of the other parts in Tuscany, even some Chiantis.

Don't worry about the 2,000 varietals, focus on the region. Valpolicella is a Valpolicella, don't look at it as a mix of 3-5 archaic sounding grape varietals.

I love Italian wines, they're 80% of what I drink. I've been especially hooked since visiting the region last November. I took this picture in the Chianti Classico region:

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Vino Nobile de Montepulciano, another great area. Sangeovese grape as usual for the region. I always thought they brought a little more oomph to the table compared to some of the other parts in Tuscany, even some Chiantis.

Don't worry about the 2,000 varietals, focus on the region. Valpolicella is a Valpolicella, don't look at it as a mix of 3-5 archaic sounding grape varietals.

I love Italian wines, they're 80% of what I drink. I've been especially hooked since visiting the region last November. I took this picture in the Chianti Classico region:

Are you referring to corvina, molinara, and rodinella? If so I would be inclined to agree given the fact that I have never seen any of those grapes made into a wine separately.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Are you referring to corvina, molinara, and rodinella? If so I would be inclined to agree given the fact that I have never seen any of those grapes made into a wine separately.

right, those are the big 3 for Valpolicella, though there are sometimes others included in the mix. Amarone is similar, as are dozens of others. I think it's far more important to know about the characteristics of a great Amarone (that rich, raisiny goodness) or Valpolicella (sweet cherries and wild spices) than it is to know exactly what grape they're made of. It's also far easier.

the only exception I guess could be the super Tuscans which are often made with French varietals.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Making out a check as we type
laugh.gif

My post was directed at you buddy, my Chicagoland, hip condo styled, well dressed, Mad Men wannabe
smile.gif
, friend!!

smile.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 Are you referring to corvina, molinara, and rodinella? If so I would be inclined to agree given the fact that I have never seen any of those grapes made into a wine separately.
Originally Posted by gomestar
right, those are the big 3 for Valpolicella, though there are sometimes others included in the mix. Amarone is similar, as are dozens of others. I think it's far more important to know about the characteristics of a great Amarone (that rich, raisiny goodness) or Valpolicella (sweet cherries and wild spices) than it is to know exactly what grape they're made of. It's also far easier. the only exception I guess could be the super Tuscans which are often made with French varietals.
my%20head%20hurts.jpg
wink.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I laughed out loud.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
My post was directed at you buddy, my Chicagoland, hip condo styled, well dressed, Mad Men wannabe
smile.gif
, friend!!

smile.gif

I enjoy hip condos. I'm in the middle of dressing up my apartment at the moment. It's a work in progress, but things are coming together nicely.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yea a bottle of Artemis $70, Phelps, Jordan and the others you mentiond are surely $100+ and some north of $150 so that should be considered. So the Artemis starts to become much more appealing at its price point. I am going to keep those selections in mind. I am not very well-versed when it comes to California, well actually the United States all together. That's a whole different animal from the world of Italian wine I'm familiar with.
IMO, Jordan is and has been the poster boy for overpriced, ca wine. Caymus is not all that far behind. Its hard to argue with the consistent quality of phelps, though the pricing for the napa cab has gotten a little out of hand. If you're going to spend money like that for ca cab, you might try etude, a rafinelli (you have to beg the winery for some wine, and while you;re at it, get some of the zin), or togni. I realize that people love jordan and feel that caymus is fairly priced...just one man's opinion here.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
smile.gif
, friend!!

smile.gif

HAHA!!! If only it were that simple for me
confused.gif
(one day perhaps?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads