• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'd like to know about the pair in the second pic myself. I think it looks very nice.

With respect to the flannels, I wanted to really like the ones I've seen in store and online recently, but they just aren't doing it for me with the exception of a white/blue checked one I saw. Most of them don't feel like flannel to me either.

On the other hand, can anyone explain why this crewcuts flannel isn't available for men's?? Did I miss it. This colorway in men's would be instantly picked up by me at retail.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, now that I could see myself grabbing. The ways of Jah Cru are mysterious indeed.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
On the other hand, can anyone explain why this crewcuts flannel isn't available for men's?? Did I miss it. This colorway in men's would be instantly picked up by me at retail.
The shirt is from last year, and it was available in a men's shirt as well. I have one.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
The shirt is from last year, and it the fabric was available in a men's shirt as well. I have one.

I see. Damn late to the show. Ah well, if they introduce a similar one this year I'm on it. How do you like it robin?

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'd like to know about the pair in the second pic myself. I think it looks very nice.

With respect to the flannels, I wanted to really like the ones I've seen in store and online recently, but they just aren't doing it for me with the exception of a white/blue checked one I saw. Most of them don't feel like flannel to me either.

What about them didn't really feel like flannel to you? I liked the fabric thought they felt pretty solid when I tried one on yesterday.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
I see. Damn late to the show. Ah well, if they introduce a similar one this year I'm on it. How do you like it robin?

Robin is correct, it was available last year. I'll sell you mine if you're an XL. It's a very lightweight brushed flannel, unlike the medium weight Youngstown. Also, it has a button down collar without the little dog on the chest.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
About wearing it in the rain, I've got raincoats, but I was wondering if there's an effective waterproofing treatment one could use on this without ruining the jacket.

Probably not, there's a thread buried someplace on this site from a guy that tried to take a regular jacket and convert it into an oiled Barbour version. He had to use flammable chemicals and people were urging him to be carefull not to blow up his face. Long story short he followed all of the steps in perfect order and still ended up ruining the coat - and basically saying he would light up like a Christmas tree if someone lit a match near him.

I suppose if you go in a shoe repair store they might have some sort of waterproofing fabric spray, but that's kinda gay. It's a field jacket - it's made to be abused, rolled around in the dirt and mud then you just hose it off and let it air dry. Just get an emergency surplus poncho or travel umbrella if your worried about the occasional rain dumps.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
What about them didn't really feel like flannel to you? I liked the fabric thought they felt pretty solid when I tried one on yesterday.

I guess I prefer a soft brushed flannel as opposed to the stiffer fabric of the ones currently offered by this season's J.Crew. It's a preference really. Some were stiff, a few others were softer.

Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Robin is correct, it was available last year. I'll sell you mine if you're an XL. It's a very lightweight brushed flannel, unlike the medium weight Youngstown. Also, it has a button down collar without the little dog on the chest.

I prefer no dogs on my chest personally, but I'm also a small, but thanks for offering.

Barrylicious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by backboard60
i have since many j crew flannels in the past for a fair price.......to me 70 seems fair for this product...

nice grey sweater pickup ^^^

Oh I totally agree it's a fair price, I just have this weird brain disconnect about flannels for some reason. Probably because I had so many awesome ones back in the day that cost me all of $5 each and a little time at thrift stores.

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickshift
I called JCrew and they didn't have any measurements on hand. I went ahead and ordered the size L anyway. If you can wait a few days, I'll get the measurements when the shirt arrives.

Thanks! I'd really appreciate that

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
It's a field jacket - it's made to be abused, rolled around in the dirt and mud then you just hose it off and let it air dry. Just get an emergency surplus poncho or travel umbrella if your worried about the occasional rain dumps.

Good point! I can't wait to start abusing it. Damn this warm summer weather.

The emergency poncho is a great suggestion--and fits the military vibe.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OK, kopped the pullover crew sweat and the youngstown flannel in bali blue. The crew is thinner than I expected but is still a decent sweatshit kind of thing for the price. The flannel is worth every bit of the price, imo. Nice workshirt details, e.g., the shirt buttons and the arrow near the end of the placket. The bali blue's the best color, imo.

I gotta stop going in there. For a while at least. I'm good for fall, right?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
OK, kopped the pullover crew sweat and the youngstown flannel in bali blue. The crew is thinner than I expected but is still a decent sweatshit kind of thing for the price. The flannel is worth every bit of the price, imo. Nice workshirt details, e.g., the shirt buttons and the arrow near the end of the placket. The bali blue's the best color, imo.

I gotta stop going in there. For a while at least. I'm good for fall, right?

You and I are set for WAYWN twins day.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
You and I are set for WAYWN twins day.

At the drop of a hat we can look just like the J Crew catalog models. Anytime/anywhere: we have come full circle in the J Crew universe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads