• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Good suggestion. I think I actually have that in blue stripes, from last winter. I wear it quite a bit with my olive officers chinos.

This is what I was talking about earlier. Here's a picture of the women's 'Ever' brand catalog from spring. In summer they made a short sleeve version of the shirt for men which I purchased and the stripes are darker - more of a charcoal tint and the buttons are different. Nice shirt with a great fit and looks great with fatigues. The J Crew Easley stripe looks pretty close to it.

3854919960_9a45f5d0b9.jpg

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
^ eww

anyway I don't find the slim fit cut at all slim =/

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I don't usually think of buying things like scarves. I've always been the victim of bad Christmas scarf gifts, which the wimminz & kidz in my life seem to think always means a shade of gray. I decided to take it into my own hands this winter and picked this up last weekend: Robert's very own scarf purchase in the vintage hunter.

That's a nice scarf. Last year I was in the Camarillo outlet and they had one one diplay on the wall with nice colors. There was no other scarves for sale and I asked if that one was. They confused employee sold it to me anyway and I think it was a retail scarf for display only which wasn't supposed to be sold.

ennui

Reaction score
I got the Millerain field jacket in XS today.

Rough measurements:

30.25" TOC to hem
16.5" shoulder-shoulder
26.75" shoulder-sleeve (probably a consequence of the smaller shoulder-shoulder, plus I don't think I know how to measure this quite right)
20.5" pit-pit (though there is no vertical seam to tell me where the pit is, so I had to guess a bit)

I'm only 5'5", so the jacket seems a bit long on me. I'm wondering what a correct fit for a field jacket is supposed to be in terms of TOC to hem length. For reference, sportcoats with a 28.75" - 29" length work best on me, so this is a bit longer. I don't want the "dad's jacket" syndrome that us shorter guys too easily can acquire. Any opinions?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
My SL tote has been great. I'll take some more pictures of it this weekend, it's picked up a lot of indigo from my jeans and jacket.

I'm definitely interested in seeing them!

stickshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fallen Angels
quick question...
Does anyone have chest and shoulder measurements for the J crew x Mister Freedom white chambray in a size L? also, is it raw or washed? Thanks in advance.

Normally I would search for the answer myself but this thread has become ridiculously long and the search function doesn't bring up any posts with the answer I'm looking for.

I called JCrew and they didn't have any measurements on hand. I went ahead and ordered the size L anyway. If you can wait a few days, I'll get the measurements when the shirt arrives.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped by J.Crew today and also checked out the Langham jacket. It's a pretty cool jacket that kind of reminds me of a poor man's version of the EG Bird Shooter. Still $200 though :/ so not that poor.

seany

Reaction score
just bought this shirt for 19.99. It's not on the sales page, but if you search "secret wash" it comes up. what a steal, from 65.00 to 20 bucks. http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...wash/99227.jsp I got the last small, theres a medium left. Been looking for a decent red-ish button up. I've been in love with their secret wash shirts ever since I bought the gingham in navy a few months back.

seany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Ordered these two things yesterday:

images_onFigure_18_18276_18276_WW9925_d2_tif_99c10b8d434218ae.jpg
images_eiec_17_17990_17990_KN2658_tif_9fcc0b9c4f9218bd.jpg

I have been in love with that shirt, I just cant see myself paying 70+ dollars for it. One of the best fall items from J.Crew this season, heck one of the best flannels I have seen all year.

ennui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dswang
I got the Millerain field jacket in XS today.

Rough measurements:

30.25" TOC to hem
16.5" shoulder-shoulder
26.75" shoulder-sleeve (probably a consequence of the smaller shoulder-shoulder, plus I don't think I know how to measure this quite right)
20.5" pit-pit (though there is no vertical seam to tell me where the pit is, so I had to guess a bit)

I'm only 5'5", so the jacket seems a bit long on me. I'm wondering what a correct fit for a field jacket is supposed to be in terms of TOC to hem length. For reference, sportcoats with a 28.75" - 29" length work best on me, so this is a bit longer. I don't want the "dad's jacket" syndrome that us shorter guys too easily can acquire. Any opinions?

Looked in the mirror some more, and it's just too big on me. I will return it.

Quick reviews of the other stuff in the order follow. Everything was made in China, not that it matters much to me.

* aforementioned jacket - measurements as listed above. Definitely was getting warm in the jacket even though I was only wearing it for a couple of minutes. Besides the length of the jacket and sleeves (which may not be a problem for taller folks), the chest was just too big for me (I'm a 36-37" chest). I'd say you'd have to be a solid 38-39" chest for it to work well. Shoulders fit well (I'm a 16" shoulder), but everything else was just too big.

* Baird McNutt linen shirt in XS, Ink - probably my favorite of the order. J. Crew XS fits me well off-the-rack, and the ink color will hide any wrinkles from the linen a bit better. It was also only $15.99 on sale.

* tailored-bit repp polo in XS, Eucalyptus - again, fits me well off of the rack. A bit tight around the chest, but not flamingly so. At $15.99 it's definitely worth it.

* Secret Wash lightweight point-collar poplin shirt in XS, Vintage Sage - fit well like the other shirt, but they are not kidding when they say lightweight. It was basically tissue. This will be returned.

* urban slim-fit broken-in chino in 30x30, Bisque - flattering cut, a keeper for me at $23.99. It's off-white, but I don't have something like that in my current wardrobe, so worth a keep even given the inevitable visible scuffs near the shoes.

Hope this helps someone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads