• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
DarkNWorn's post reminded of a guy I talked to yesterday when buying my bike.

He described my old bike as alright for riding to school or for bar hoppin. Do people actually use bikes to ride to bars? I've plenty about bikes being built for bar hoppin, but never a bicycle...

i was visiting my buddy in daytona beach during bike week, and since we were about 5 miles from the strip we couldn't get a cab, so we road his and his girlfriend's beach cruisers to the bars. i wouldn't do it again but it was a lot of fun. we ended up going to a few biker bars and we drank for free because most of the guys were so impressed we had the balls to show up to a biker bar on his and hers beach cruisers. we then went to a oyster bar and ate more dozens of raw oysters than i could count, and then both puked while trying to power over the intercoastal waterway with the single speed cruisers. one for the ages.
bigstar[1].gif

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same thing, but to hell with that! I've been toting my bike in an MR2 turbo and a 92 Honda Prelude. Pull the front wheel off and fit the frame and rear in the car with care to not poke holes in the interior. I fit my JS550 in the back of my bud's volvo wagon, I KNOW you can fit a bike in that thing!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I was going to ask the same thing, but to hell with that! I've been toting my bike in an MR2 turbo and a 92 Honda Prelude. Pull the front wheel off and fit the frame and rear in the car with care to not poke holes in the interior. I fit my JS550 in the back of my bud's volvo wagon, I KNOW you can fit a bike in that thing!

Not if it is filled with tents, sleeping bags and luggage. And I probably need to take a pair of bikes or three

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to go for a ride, Kentucky is so beautiful.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merckx, Kooks & zippyh, did you not see the magic I posted back on like page 7??? Never has the Italians, French & British come together so magically
biggrin.gif

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Anyone have any good advice for buying a bike carrier for a car? I don't have a roof rack or a tow hitch, so I think I am limited to a trunk mount - for what it is worth, car is a Volvo wagon.
I have a Saris Bones bought a few years ago. Not sure if they have anything better now but the Saris is not bad and it should adjust to fit a Volvo wagon. I think the most one rack holds is three bikes. Here is what it looks like on a Mini:
March%2006%20Bones%203%20Bicycling.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I have a Saris Bones bought a few years ago. Not sure if they have anything better now but the Saris is not bad and it should adjust to fit a Volvo wagon. I think the most one rack holds is three bikes. Here is what it looks like on a Mini:

+1. I had one a while back and used it to carry my mountain bikes. It worked great and I always felt that my bikes were secured.

Doesn't your Volvo Wagon come with a roof rack already? Just get bike attachments and you should be all set.

JonB27

Reaction score
I've been mountain biking for years and am itching to get a road bike.
What are some bikes that you guys would recommend so that I can start looking?
Would you guys recommend buying new or trying to pick one up second hand?
My limit is around 2k...

Gherkins

Reaction score
Finally ordered my new bike today.
Patria Roadster, similar to the one below, but in British Racing Green and I exchanged the Rohloff hub for a Shimano LX.
Will take 4-6 weeks to be built. The wait will be similar hard to bear than if I was waiting for new pair of EG's. (Which I am also, but they will be arriving even later).
9aa2e48753.jpg

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total threadjack but what is the deal with bike messengers and fixed gear bikes? Why no brakes?

I used to compete on the road and track and rode single gear on the road when my form was real bad but I dont get why messengers do it.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads