• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do your friends dress

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Girls:
C) Marc Jacobs Collection, Marni, Margiela, Dries
A) J Crew, Club Monaco, Designer Jeans
K) Random women's Co-Op brands

Boys:
A) Yoko Devereaux, Common Projects
C) CdG, Ann D, Raf, Dries, Margiela
L) Ralph Lauren, Rugy, DSquared2

What do the letters stand for?

I thought you bought Louis Vuitton/Prada/etc. for most of your boyfriends.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
What do the letters stand for?

I thought you bought Louis Vuitton/Prada/etc. for most of your boyfriends.

Their initials.

I thought we were talking about friends...not what I sleep with
smile.gif

neonwater

Reaction score
I'm a student, most of my male friends dress pretty well. I haven't seen most of them wearing anything other than skinny jeans.

robba

Reaction score
hypebeasts or brandwhores.
and H&M.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
^^Thank god I don't have friends like that.

I've moved now, different country actually and almost NO friends here, so thankfully I dont have to deal with that old douchy crowd anymore (they were all my friends since we were kids, so could shake them if I tried anyway), although i still get calls and emails asking me to find them X douchy item that they can find back home, lol.....

Oh well, hopefully some decent folk will pop up here and make better friends......

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
I've moved now, different country actually

Which country?

JMSBNSN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
good thread, a little disappointed as to the truncated intro though

1. like garbage
2. they think I'm crazy

To expand though, I think it's a futile exercise trying to explain to them the merits of certain lines or pieces or design because they just don't get it so I gave that up a long time ago. They have to see things in context like on other people to even begin to see the big picture.

They will buy **** because it's cheap and they'll wear undershirts under button ups untucked that are way too long under sweaters and I don't say ****, let them be I mean who the **** am I to tell them any different? So I just continue to style on them the only way I know how.

Took the words right out of my mouth. They're amazed that I don't buy vans. Why the **** would I waste money on a shoe that would look cheap after two weeks? And canvas is for summer anyway and summer's almost done so I'll stick to my common projects.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMSBNSN
Took the words right out of my mouth. They're amazed that I don't buy vans. Why the **** would I waste money on a shoe that would look cheap after two weeks? And canvas is for summer anyway and summer's almost done so I'll stick to my common projects.

Exactly. If you buy a $500 pair of shoes that last you 10 years, that's $50 a year to wear a great pair of shoes year in and year out. Alternatively, you could spend the same amount (or more) every year on crappy shoes and wear a crappy pair of shoes year in and year out.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
My great aunt always used to reply back with "if i was rich I'd buy junk because then I could afford to throw it away all the time" whenever someone quesitoned her expensive purchases.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Exactly. If you buy a $500 pair of shoes that last you 10 years, that's $50 a year to wear a great pair of shoes year in and year out. Alternatively, you could spend the same amount (or more) every year on crappy shoes and wear a crappy pair of shoes year in and year out.

I wish my parents would understand this point, only instead of just clothes, with everything else.

Amorfous

Reaction score
My best friend usually dresses with a million layers, all casual thrift store items. 1 maybe 2 t shirts, button down shirt, tie, jacket and or vest, and a scarf, and a beanie. All at once, in this colder weather. He's 6'5, so he pulls it off. Pretty hilarious, though, once you think about it.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My one friend wears Rag & Bone, 45RPM and MMM. Another wears Dries, Ann, Robert Geller, Rick Owens and Augusta boots.

Of course my friend I hang with the most wears exclusively sale **** from JC Penny or excersise ****.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Friends? Whoa, hey, have you guys been seeing other people "offline"?
The people in WAYWT are my only friends yo

Meh, most of my friends just do the american eagle/abercrombie/holister thing, or are streight up preppys so polos and khakies.
I used to be a bit wilder with my clothes, now I'm focused on everything being really toned down and just fitting and coordinating well, and strongly working on the attitude to just not care what we're all wearing once I've left the house in the morning.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMSBNSN
confused.gif
BTW recently moved so I have no friends within 100 miles yet.
bigstar[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads