• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lawyers: Could you kill someone who breaks into your house?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
The point is that it doesn't really have much to do with them. If you murder someone, the state will prosecute you whether the victim wanted a prosecution or not. The only way you could take away the victim's "standing" is to say that they ceased to be a human being on account of their actions.

I'm not aware of this defense. Is it a Canadian thing?

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where I live, Texas, you can also use deadly force to defend not only yourself but your property (during the hours of darkness). I remember a case a few years ago where a property owner was having cinder blocks or some such thing repeatedly stolen from his fenced in property. He laid in wait on the roof during the night waiting for the thieves. He fell asleep and was awakened as the thieves were driving away from his lot with a pickup full of cinder blocks. He shot and killed the driver with his deer rifle. As I recall he was not charged with any crime. Although I can understand the owners frustration I'm don't think I'd kill someone over cinder blocks. I think I would have held the thieves at gunpoint and then called the po po.

Reaction score
are you permitted to break into a burglar's home to retrieve your stolen goods?
or would you be charged with possession of stolen property?
can you kill yourself in self-defense (i am thinking pre-emptive strike here)

this is not illegal advice

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably wouldn't be charged with possession of stolen property, but you might get a B&E.

as for killing yourself in self-defense, the prosecutor would not be able to prosecute that.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The trick to home/burglar shootings is not to hang yourself afterwards. So if you do shoot someone in your house, your account to the police is:

"Lawyer--I want one."

Reaction score
so i was talking to this guy, a 72-year-old ex-marine about home invasion/execution just yesterday. he gave me some advice. he said that when you hear the ruffle duffle (five minutes it lasted) of a burglar, do NOT go looking for him. instead, retrieve the handgun from under your (dan marino) pillow and kneel down behind your bed, bracing yourself against the mattress, and wait for the motherfather to enter your room. then fire twice into his chest area. then fire a warning shot.

he stressed that the burglar should be in your home when you execute him because it is not kosher to shoot a retreating/escaping burglar. bad form. faux pas.

also, he said that if you catch the dude (it is gonna be a dude, not some foxy lady in latex) en flagrante, fire at him and then pull him through the window or whatever. then call the po-pos. or if you shoot him outside, drag him in.

he suggested a revolver because blah...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
The trick to home/burglar shootings is not to hang yourself afterwards.
that could be construed as a guilty conscience. my defense would be auto-erotic asphyxiation

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Personally, I think you all HBT.

But I'd say Piobaire has it correct. It all depends.
Although when I first read the thread title, my interpretation was more like Benzito's.

FTFY.
devil.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
are you permitted to break into a burglar's home to retrieve your stolen goods? this is not illegal advice
reminds me of a joke why do white people go to black people's garage sales? To get their stuff back (no klansmen) and the thing about shooting to hurt (in leg etc)...doubt anyone who is being robbed would have the steady hand and nerves to do that when confronted. sounds like a scene from a bad tv show. besides if you're going to shoot, shoot to kill as dead men cannot sue you later but this is a topic I've had a lot of discussion with friends over the years & I have few guns within reach of my bedside just in case (and a 500+ year old japanese sword which might be more effective in scaring an unarmed burgler)

N.N.O.P

Reaction score
i was informed that you could kill 'em, then put a weapon in their hand, then call the law...........but don't take my word for it.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
so i was talking to this guy, a 72-year-old former-marine about home invasion/execution just yesterday.
he suggested a revolver because blah...

FTFY
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads