• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

revamp

Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread, so please help me make a decision folks and I'll post the real deal once it arrives: Option A:
WJ1110-BA0570_M.jpg
Option B:
0605773_M.jpg
The price for both is about the same. Both are quartz movements and mostly stainless steel (no tungsten carbide). But the TAG has a much better water depth range (200 meters vs. 30 meters for the Movado). This watch will become my "go to" option when going out at night, but will eventually graduate to my daily beater as soon as I can afford a higher-end timepiece (Rolex Datejust I long for thee). Thanks!

emakris

Reaction score
I'm not really sure how these two watches could possibly present a dilemma, as they could barely be any more different, but out of the two options I would choose A.

If I may, I propose Option C; purchase a much cheaper but of equal quality Tissot and put the rest of the budget in a "watch fund" for the DateJust.

revamp

Reaction score
Well, I went with the Tag after all. I aleady own a Movado so I'm working my way up the timepiece foodchain. At perhaps 20% the cost of a DateJust, I think it's a keeper until the economy recovers.

UFN

Reaction score
emakris, that Omega is gorgeous (as are your pics)
smile.gif
/U.

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UFN
emakris, that Omega is gorgeous (as are your pics)
smile.gif
/U.

Thanks U. It is indeed a great watch and very photogenic too.
smile.gif

_AMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
standard.jpg

Three rare pieces: PAM267, PAM1 "pre-A" and PAM203.

worship.gif
Wow! That is quite the trio. I saw your quick report on p.com, and I was very impressed with the hardware in attendance
worship.gif

Aaron

randomusername

Reaction score
Anyone mind helping me pick a military-style watch? I prefer mechanical or automatic. I'm new to the whole watch game but I've been looking at a few and have really come to like the styles of this black-faced Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm and this Timex (strictly the face styling). The Hamilton is at the forefront, but I had just a few questions: (1) I'm about 6'2" so pretty tall but I'm also really thin (as are my wrists) so I'm in a bit of a Catch-22, as from what I've read taller people seem to look better with slightly bigger watches and those with small wrists look better with smaller ones. I currently own an Omega Seamaster 300M Mid-Size Quartz (I was in high school, had wealthy grandparents, and thought I was James Bond) which clocks in at 36mm, and which I've started to think might be a bit small. What do you guys think, would something like 38mm or higher work for someone like me? I realize it's probably a case-by-case thing, but maybe you've seen it work for others like myself? To this end, I'm also kinda worried about the thickness of the Hamilton as they seem to raise up very high, for example with the Jazzmaster - maybe someone can speak to this? (2) Are there any other models you'd recommend for this style? I've been impressed with Seiko and their military type faces, especially the Seiko 5. I'm looking to wear it casually with a canvas or grosgrain strap, along with button-downs/chambray shirts, cords/chinos, and Clarks desert boots. (3) Do military watches typically stay 38mm or under? It seems like most varities I've seen are in that range. Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated as I try to figure out my first (hopefully) informed watch purchase.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomusername
Anyone mind helping me pick a military-style watch? I prefer mechanical or automatic. I'm new to the whole watch game but I've been looking at a few and have really come to like the styles of this black-faced Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm and this Timex (strictly the face styling). The Hamilton is at the forefront, but I had just a few questions:

(1) I'm about 6'2" so pretty tall but I'm also really thin (as are my wrists) so I'm in a bit of a Catch-22, as from what I've read taller people seem to look better with slightly bigger watches and those with small wrists look better with smaller ones. I currently own an Omega Seamaster 300M Mid-Size Quartz (I was in high school, had wealthy grandparents, and thought I was James Bond) which clocks in at 36mm, and which I've started to think might be a bit small. What do you guys think, would something like 38mm or higher work for someone like me? I realize it's probably a case-by-case thing, but maybe you've seen it work for others like myself?

(2) Are there any other models you'd recommend for this style? I've been impressed with Seiko and their military type faces, especially the Seiko 5. I'm looking to wear it casually with a canvas or grosgrain strap, along with button-downs/chambray shirts, cords/chinos, and Clarks desert boots.

(3) Do military watches typically stay 38mm or under? It seems like most varities I've seen are in that range.

Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated as I try to figure out my first (hopefully) informed watch purchase.

What's your wrist circumference? I'm in a similar situation to you, though not as tall (6'0").

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sexy watch (especially for the price), saw it in the other thread. Also, creamy bokeh
smile.gif
Shot at 50mm-ish at f/2.8-ish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads