• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do your friends dress

jaac

Reaction score
pretty shocking. its not like this is a bad thing though, makes me stand out. Kinda annoying when you buy a new shirt/shoes and they all buy the same thing the next week though. A friend was giving me **** about spending 200 on a jacket, the next day he was talking about some 200 dollar ******* magic card he bought. facepalm.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my guyfriends dress atrociously with no thought to anything sartorial related. Its either regular guy PacSun Tshirt, distressed Levi's or hypebeasty loud graphic T's/westerns and vans.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
pretty shocking. its not like this is a bad thing though, makes me stand out. Kinda annoying when you buy a new shirt/shoes and they all buy the same thing the next week though.

A friend was giving me **** about spending 200 on a jacket, the next day he was talking about some 200 dollar ******* magic card he bought. facepalm.

Don't hate, a tournament worthy deck would probably cost more than the average outfit here.

cucurrucucu

Reaction score
All of my friends dress poorly/average, but they don't criticize me for the the money I spend on clothes. On the contrary, I usually get compliments on specific garments or fit.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really have any friends, but the d'n'b weekly I go to on Wednesdays is filled with people so badly dressed it is almost not to be believed.

4736_1149880672924_1404837944_396151_4495518_n.jpg

n1404837944_213515_3193.jpg

n1404837944_213514_2873.jpg

(That's yours truly in the background looking dead. Admittedly, I'm not much better dressed.)

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm almost positive there was a thread exactly like this a few months ago, but I can't find it either.

TG's photos are neat. And there he is, yes, looking dead, exactly as stated.

People can tell I wear stuff they haven't seen before. For the most part, if you haven't seen it before, even if you kinda like it, you are unsure about it. That's usually where they are with it until they get the gist of what I'm going for.

In my experience, fat acquaintances nearly never say anything. Hipsters never say anything. New acquaintances never say anything. Old, close friends who I haven't seen in a minute will notice something new.

I have actually been thinking that dressing 'nicer' was probably a mistake, as I have enough things that separate me from the average joe as it is, I didn't need to dress funny, too. I think dressing nicely has made me even more wildly intimidating than I already am. People used to have to actually talk to me before they figured out I was nuts, now they can tell just by looking.

Out of what I have had commented, it's nearly always cherry RW GT's. I live in a city of 6 mil and I have never seen boots on another guy or anyone wearing chambray.

jaac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Don't hate, a tournament worthy deck would probably cost more than the average outfit here.

ugh yeh except it was like some japanese shiny one or something, 1 card, 200 dollars.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
From the 7 tees+2pairs of pants+2 pair of shoes+2coats=wardrobe to bigger fashion whores than me. They either don't care of approve/share the interest.

Oxnard

Reaction score
They dress absolutely horribly! The few people that I know who do care about fashion think that Urban Outfitters is the absolute epitome of style and taste. For the most part they are indifferent to my fashion spending habits, as I am not foolhardy enough to tell anyone how much my **** costs.
-edit: lolz at Tagut's greensboro party. This is what 90% of the young people in North Carolina look like.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. They dress like most of the rest of middle-class America
2. They couldn't care less about what I wear or what I spend on clothes

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends dress very casually, with no real attention to any aspect of dress other than the functional necessity (keep warm, not get arrested).

Friends accept and occasionally comment on what I wear, a few will occasionally make the odd 'gay' remark, one friend is sometimes worried about me being the brunt of jokes, insults, etc because of what I wear (hasn't happed at all really, but wouldn't bother me if it did, seems to bother him though).

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. like 7th graders
2. i doubt they pay attention. their wives apprecitate it, though.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of surprised at the responses here.

I consider a good chunk of my friends to have their own style and care about how they look. I would say a good number of them have great style that is outside the mold and suits their personalities to a T.

Just thinking about it though I noticed that the ones in creative industries tend to be that way while my friends in finance, trading and publishing could care less. Anyone else notice that?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, naturally one's work and lifestyle has a big influence on one's clothing/style. Also if they're already being creative in one way, it is easier for them to be creative in another (such as clothing).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads