• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UFN
BMI is around 29, so that's well overweight but stil not (quite) obese.

/U.

I have a big frame with a large amount of muscularity (though I am far less muscular that Arnold Schwarzenegger, The Rock, your average WWE wrestler, your average bodybuilder and the like).

I was told by my doctors that because of my height, frame and muscularity, my normal weight is 185 pounds. At 200 pounds, I am 15 pounds overweight. Is 15 pounds overweight considered well overweight to you, UFN?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
I have a big frame with a large amount of muscularity (though I am far less muscular that Arnold Schwarzenegger, The Rock, your average WWE wrestler, your average bodybuilder and the like).

I was told by my doctors that because of my height, frame and muscularity, my normal weight is 185 pounds. At 200 pounds, I am 15 pounds overweight. Is 15 pounds overweight considered well overweight to you, UFN?

If you are lean and muscular, average bodyweight means nothing other than being a statistic.

For example. If the human normal average at 6' is 185 with 10% bodyfat, but you carry an extra 30 pounds of lean mass and are still at 10% bodyfat, it just means you are heavier than "average" but does not mean you are obese.

There was a time when I was fat at 6'2" and 190. Now at 6'2" and 190 I'm quite lean.

cimabue

Reaction score
A consideration for shoes is the single buckle monk strap. They look good with a tapered pant leg that has no break and is slightly high (just barely touching the buckle). Depending on the last shape, they compliment a sleek silohouette and are fairly casual. I own Church's Westbury model. Having a sort of engineer-boot look, they work well with jeans. I'm 6' 2, 170 lbs.

In warm weather, tall thin guys should avoid short-sleeved, collared shirts and instead roll their long sleeves up just past the elbow.

Maybe avoid jewelry and even watches, which seem to accent long limbs/digits.

Jackets neither too short nor too long. Waist length is a no-no. Always cover some butt.

knubie

Reaction score
Has anyone here had any luck with leather jackets? These are one of the hardest items for me to find as they're not easily tailored. I'm around the 20 BMI range

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knubie
Has anyone here had any luck with leather jackets? These are one of the hardest items for me to find as they're not easily tailored. I'm around the 20 BMI range
At the risk of sounding like a shill, I would again recommend Aero Leather. Their jackets are essentially custom made. Skinnies and the betwixt and between, size-wise, will be very pleased. The leather is also superior.

SuperSaiyan3

Reaction score

I'm 6'0 and 130lbs. I made an unwise decision to buy a leather jacket (a motorcycle jacket) from Guess back in my high school days (costs 300$). It looks awful on me due to my slimness and the jacket is CLEARLY for guys with a pack of fat on him. I had a friend who was 5'6 and 180lbs try it on and it looked 10x better on him than it did on me.

To this day I still do not wear it and it just sits in my closet and collects dust.

Sob.

kingyouth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Finally, rude or not, bulking up often should be the first priority.

I am 6'5", 158 lbs, 36XL, 32/36. I've been like this my whole life. I eat all the time. I have tried every type of protein milkshake possible. Name a way to supposedly gain weight, I've tried it. Heck, even quitting smoking didn't lead to me gaining weight like it does for most people.

FWIW, I don't mind being tall and skinny. I have invested a lot of money in clothes that finally fit. And I would rather spend my money on my next MTM suit and shirts instead of wasting it on someone's theory on how I can gain weight.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kingyouth
I am 6'5", 158 lbs, 36XL, 32/36. I've been like this my whole life. I eat all the time. I have tried every type of protein milkshake possible. Name a way to supposedly gain weight, I've tried it. Heck, even quitting smoking didn't lead to me gaining weight like it does for most people.

FWIW, I don't mind being tall and skinny. I have invested a lot of money in clothes that finally fit. And I would rather spend my money on my next MTM suit and shirts instead of wasting it on someone's theory on how I can gain weight.

+1 its extremely hard to 'bulk up' for some of us.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score

10 eggs for breakfast, walnuts all day, pasta for lunch, dinner, and right before bed. Gallon of milk throughout the day = win.

kingyouth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
10 eggs for breakfast, walnuts all day, pasta for lunch, dinner, and right before bed. Gallon of milk throughout the day = win.

I'm half Italian, I know how to eat. Nice try, though.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

......For stomach cramps. Unfortunately these days I can easily put on weight but it goes right to my stomach.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan3
I'm 6'0 and 130lbs. I made an unwise decision to buy a leather jacket (a motorcycle jacket) from Guess back in my high school days (costs 300$). It looks awful on me due to my slimness and the jacket is CLEARLY for guys with a pack of fat on him. I had a friend who was 5'6 and 180lbs try it on and it looked 10x better on him than it did on me.

To this day I still do not wear it and it just sits in my closet and collects dust.

Sob.

Shame. You should donate it to your friend, better than it dusting away no?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried on a really slim purple label jacket and it looked great. If you are thin I don't thin kyou can wear outerwear with much excess, it has to be really close to your body.

acconrad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
If you are lean and muscular, average bodyweight means nothing other than being a statistic.

For example. If the human normal average at 6' is 185 with 10% bodyfat, but you carry an extra 30 pounds of lean mass and are still at 10% bodyfat, it just means you are heavier than "average" but does not mean you are obese.

There was a time when I was fat at 6'2" and 190. Now at 6'2" and 190 I'm quite lean.

Human normal average != American average by a long shot. Quite sad really.

see below

Though I'd throw in a ton of meat. I had trouble gaining weight too until I actually started tracking what I ate. If you are that skinny and you aren't eating 4000 calories a day, you aren't trying hard enough
smile.gif

Anyway...take home points are good across the board

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads