• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New manufacturing of Silk Plush Top Hats.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I'm not paying four hundred and fifty quid for a hat. I could get a car for that.

They have them on ebay. I might see if I can find a tape measure that'll go all the way round this head of mine.

But would it be a car you would want to be seen in?
smile.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shall order one of these hats at once. It will add a touch of elegance and panache to the next white-tie event we attend.

Oh, hey, I forgot, we don't even go to black-tie events. More's the pity! Another iGent fantasy dashed!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
I think the best silk used to come from france. Didn't the last firm making it fold in the 50s. Maybe RJman can weigh in on this.
Famously, the equipment was thrown into the river Seine. Edit: The wiki article merely mentions that they were destroyed, citing to NJS's book. I know the history of the destruction of the equipment has sources older than that. Anyone else have more info?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The few times I have worn tails I have not worn a hat. I would have had I been able to find a good one, but all I could find were cheesy wool felt ones that looked like they were from the costume department at Alice in Wonderland. The first time (1990), there were a few hats. One other time (1993) there were a lot of hats. The last time (2003) absolutely no one else had a hat that I saw, and this was in London.

I fully expect never to wear tails again for the rest of my life.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Famously, the equipment was thrown into the river Seine.
Edit: The wiki article merely mentions that they were destroyed, citing to NJS's book. I know the history of the destruction of the equipment has sources older than that. Anyone else have more info?

I think it is in Boyer's first book but I don't have it handy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The few times I have worn tails I have not worn a hat. I would have had I been able to find a good one, but all I could find were cheesy wool felt ones that looked like they were from the costume department at Alice in Wonderland. The last time (2003, I think) absolutely no one else had a hat that I saw, and this was in London.

I fully expect never to wear tails again for the rest of my life.

There's a brisk business in used hats fueled by Ascot.

There are very nice ones around.

- B

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is an igent? Am I considered an igent because I wear silk plush top hats when strolling around town? Or in order to be an igent do you have to be part of a special group and/or club, or philosophy? Does the "I" mean virtual as in Internet?

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will let you guys know the quality when it arrives. I expect to be thoroughly impressed ,and I own top hats as far back as the 1870's.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
What is an igent? Am I considered an igent because I wear silk plush top hats when strolling around town? Or in order to be an igent do you have to be part of a special group and/or club, or philosophy? Does the "I" mean virtual as in Internet?
The doors of the iGentry are open to all who share the same values and ideals. The "i" does mean Internet. While strolling around town in a top hat in and of itself would not qualify you for iGent status, wearing one with a day suit certainly makes you a contender. If you also wear a monocle and use a walking stick, you are a shoe in.
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
...you are a shoe in.
smile.gif

Shouldn't that be "shoo-in"? (And no, I'm not making any puns about former members.)

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Don't be so negative, you are ruining our iGent experience. After getting that squirrel armor, I've been spoiled and now I wonder if they would make a squirrel top hat?
I would never see a need for myself to wear a top hat and would, therefore, have no interest in purchasing one. However, I can certainly understand someone, like Tibor, who finds interest in wearing one and dressing up as a hobby. It seems rather odd for a grown man to ridicule another man, anonymously I might add, for their particular clothing hobby when the one performing the ridicule runs a web site and clearly spends many hours each week devoted to reading and discussing the finer points of clothing. I would imagine 99% of the population would find each man's clothing obsessions particularly peculiar. I'd also imagine 99% of the population would find that the grown man with a clothing obsession who finds the need to ridicule others for their clothing obsession is a particular and less pleasant strain of unusual. Bravo to Tibor for having the security to embrace his interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads