• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lawyers: Could you kill someone who breaks into your house?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think the moment you break into someone's home you basically forfeit every basic right. I have absolutely no problems with burglars being shot dead.

I agree. I'm willing to let people do pretty much whatever they want if it poses no threat to me and it occurs on their property. If a person breaks into my home, however, I shouldn't be forced by law to assume they've done so for innocuous reasons.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just kill him. When you are questioned by the police just tell them that after you told him to "freeze" he went for his waistband.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think the moment you break into someone's home you basically forfeit every basic right. I have absolutely no problems with burglars being shot dead.
I actually don't either, really, but in the abstract a proportional response makes intuitive sense to me. Hence it's not as much a matter of forfeiting rights as doing what you have to do to repel a threat, and no more. I mean it's not like you could slowly torture the son of a ***** to death.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In NY, you don't have a duty to retreat. If a burglar breaks into your house, you can basically shoot him dead if you feel you're in imminent danger. But, if you step outside, like a recent case where a black guy shot dead a couple of white idiots who chased his son to his door step, the result might be very different. Of course, this is only DNW's interpretation of the law, not necessarily the law itself. Shoot-to-kill at your own risk.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Where do you stand on this issue?
smile.gif

Personally, I think you all HBT.

But I'd say you and zbromer have it about right.
Although when I first read the thread title, my interpretation was more like Benzito's.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Personally, I think you all HBT.

But I'd say you and zbromer have it about right.
Although when I first read the thread title, my interpretation was more like Benzito's.

HBT = Heterojunction Bipolar Transistor?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you just don't shoot the guy (or woman) in the leg. At least that's what you tell the cops you tried to do.

Mr. Macaque

Reaction score
now you're talking. the whole point is to not do damage that is out of proportion to the threat. there are all sorts of ways to fend off a criminal without resorting to deadly force. you can use pepper spray, a kitchen knife (in a non-deadly fashion), a baseball bat, or just threaten with a gun but not shoot. usually that is enough to scare them off, because burglars like easy jobs where there is little resistance. if they wanted a showdown they would rob a liquor store.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I actually don't either, really, but in the abstract a proportional response makes intuitive sense to me. Hence it's not as much a matter of forfeiting rights as doing what you have to do to repel a threat, and no more. I mean it's not like you could slowly torture the son of a ***** to death.

No I don't agree about torture, I just don't think that anyone breaking into someone else's home unless it is for absolutely extraordinary reasons should have any standing in pursuing legal action, criminal or civil.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Well they don't have standing to pursue criminal action, the state does.

I should have said no one, including the state.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
The point is that it doesn't really have much to do with them. If you murder someone, the state will prosecute you whether the victim wanted a prosecution or not. The only way you could take away the victim's "standing" is to say that they ceased to be a human being on account of their actions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics