• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Go designer
laugh.gif
Though I do mean this partially serious. Aren't a lot of designer brands like Dior Homme and Raf Simons basically made for tall, skinny people and made to make them look awesome? I'm talking mostly suits. I don't think the price range is too out there compared many MC brands that get lot's of love and if the fit is there, then it's there, and worth checking out. Example: Doctor Worm from SuFu in Raf Simons.

Wouldn't they then run the problem of it being too short? (although 6'1" isn't terribly tall imo, I'm 5'11" and I can fit just about anything, can't be that big of a difference with 2") PS: Twisty if you're buying mainline Prada shirts you may as well just go bespoke, it'll probably be cheaper (plus then they do all the measurements and keep it on hand for later orders)

Psyren

Reaction score
I'm about the same 6'1 and 155lbs, and you're spot on about the khakis unfortunately
frown.gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some really slim pringle grey chinos and I think they look great. They do fit incredibly slim, probably slimmer then my thin finns and diors.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
Sweaters: finally, some good news

A medium sweater in almost every American brand is cut for what's considered the "average" male size: a 40R. The good news for us is that since sweater fabric is soft and drapes differently from a suit jacket, medium sweaters from most brands work well even for men who wear 38 and 36 chest suits.

But only if you have arms that, for somebody 6'+ are on the short side or don't mind your sleeves being short.
wink.gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sweaters and polos I can't wear any mens size, besides a few fashion brands. I've found boys 16/18 ralph lauren polos and jumpers are a great very slim fit.

bafield

Reaction score
First off, thanks Sebastian for starting this thread. I'm sure that many of us slim folk appreciate it.

For shirts, I find that Eton's slim fit work well for me. I'm not quit as skinny as Sebastian but at 6'2" / 170lbs I'm definitely slim. However, I can see why not everyone would want to pay $250 for an OTR shirt. They also do MMT but I've never used this service, the OTR seems to work well for me.

The only chino's that actually work for me are a pair of Massimo Dutti's that I found in Spain last year. They are very slim through the ass, thigh, knee, and cuff. Normally chino's look like **** on my and if I carry a wallet in my back pocket, it forces the cotton to sag thus making me look like a plumber.

For jeans, I find that The Gap's new straight legs aren't too bad. Having said that, I still look skinny in them and the ass...well, let's not go there.

Wool trousers; I agree with your comments. I normally get the entire leg tappered post-purchase (depending on the brand). I try to take them down to 7.5" at the bottom. Anything wider than this just seems to move too much when I walk.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO Dior homme is no longer for the slIm man with kva as the designer. I went to saks and looked and there smallest blazer was still to big. The only slim Dior stuff is from the slimane era. Marc by Marc Jacobs though as u suggested is great for us folk. Though the picking's can be slim since there is alot of stuff that just looks tacky.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
IMO Dior homme is no longer for the slIm man with kva as the designer. I went to saks and looked and there smallest blazer was still to big. The only slim Dior stuff is from the slimane era. Marc by Marc Jacobs though as u suggested is great for us folk. Though the picking's can be slim since there is alot of stuff that just looks tacky.

I tried on a dior 36 a few months ago and it was incredibly slim. I'm 6 foot 2 and 125 pound and it was actually a bit tight.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I'm 6 foot 2 and 125 pound

Dude, how is that even physically possible? Did you have some organs removed or something? Are you an amputee? (Apologies if you actually are).

But seriously, as a fairly tall and skinny guy myself, I vote against super-skinny clothing. It does the tall, thin man favors only to a point. If your clothing gets too tight or too thin-cut, you'll look like a cartoonish stick figure. Maybe some of us are cartoonish stick figures, and there's no getting around that. But still, clothing that's too slim or too tight doesn't flatter the lanky gentleman anymore than clothing that's too big does. Unless you're actually going for the Ichabod Crane look, in which case, vaya con Dios.

Full disclosure: I'm currently 6'2 and, thanks to the decision to finally lift a little bit, am now pushing close to 190. In my skinniest prime I was around 155 to 160. Even that was pretty damned skinny compared to 99% of the American population. I can't imagine what life as a 6'2, 125-pound person must be like. At 155 I honestly didn't have a spare pound to lose.

UFN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bafield
For shirts, I find that Eton's slim fit work well for me. I'm not quit as skinny as Sebastian but at 6'2" / 170lbs I'm definitely slim. However, I can see why not everyone would want to pay $250 for an OTR shirt. They also do MMT but I've never used this service, the OTR seems to work well for me.
Even Eton's contemporary line is quite slim with very long arms, but the slim fit models are obviously even slimmer.

/U.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 foot 2 and 125 pound

I'm like 112lb, but then again I'm only 5'4", you must be even skinnier than me, which is pretty impressive tbh
laugh.gif

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
PS: Twisty if you're buying mainline Prada shirts you may as well just go bespoke, it'll probably be cheaper (plus then they do all the measurements and keep it on hand for later orders)

I totally agree. T'which is why I only purchase shirts from outlets/discount online. Also, I only mentioned some designer/brands that FIT me (tall, skinny), but not necessarily personally purchased
smile.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on a dior 36 a few months ago and it was incredibly slim. I'm 6 foot 2 and 125 pound and it was actually a bit tight.
Jesus...I get teased for being skinny and I'm 2" shorter and have 25 lbs on you.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do come in different lengths.

Its generally frowned upon by this forum, but I've been trying more fashion lines and brands and the fit is just so much better. I've had great luck with dior. For tailored wear I really like aquascutum, the 36 fits very slim and for the aquascutum ltd line it is even slimmer. For jeans nudie slim jims are pretty good, but I think nudie thin finns and dior 19cms fit better.

Show me a 32/36 and I'm happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics