• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
If anyone is in the NY/NJ area, I would recommend checking out the Men's shop in the Garden State Mall in Paramus.

They were unloading so much stuff yesterday. The store was chock full.

Picked up a new British Millerain jacket in Black that I don't see on the website. I think the inside says Langham jacket.
$198 but it seems well constructed and I was quite happy with my oiled BM fieldcoat from last year so I gave this a shot.

Yeah, I tried that on and almost got it instead of the fatigue jacket. The millerain is nice.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic look, EdenResident. Where is that cardi from?

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
Damn, I love shawl collar cardigans. I have about 5 of them.
frown.gif

How do I look here?
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...08/Sweater.jpg

It'd look better with trousers instead of jeans.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Regarding the vintage cargo pants there's a saying that "The last person who got laid wearing cargo pants was in the 'Nam." That's pretty much true because it's hard to pull off for stylish streetwear. Personally I dig stuff like that as long as it doesn't look too douchy because I have two big dogs that like to slobber on everything - especially on our twice daily excursions and those pockets come in handy. Of course it would also be a good weekend kick-around pant around the house or gardening.

Although I don't know why they always have to put two cargo pockets on the legs and make them so glaringly big? Best cargo pant I own has only one pocket (on the left leg.) If it's not being used you barely know it's there so from a distance it looks kinda like a chino pant - and not GI Joe coming at you with bulging pillow legs.

Shawl collar anything? Never, ever seen anyone wear them where I live on the west coast - even old men. They slightly appeal to me looking at the J Crew site, but I just wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Anyone buy the military mockneck wool cardigan last year? How does the neck hold up? I thought someone said it flops around not staying in place but maybe that was something else. Was going to buy one last year but poof they were gone right before Christmas.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
VD, I would think that would be one thing that might bug me about the military cardigan. It looks a bit floppy, unlike the cotton-ribbed sweater/jacket which is similar-looking.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
robin is such a hater, goddamn.
Maybe I would change my tune if J.Crew payed me to run ads and shill for them.

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
would look better without the hat
My hair is a little too modern for that look but maybe you're right. The cap is by JCrew and is one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by ToruOkada
It'd look better with trousers instead of jeans.
I agree. I just don't have pants that'd go well with that yet.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
VD, I would think that would be one thing that might bug me about the military cardigan. It looks a bit floppy, unlike the cotton-ribbed sweater/jacket which is similar-looking.

Hmm, that's a tough call. Do you want the pockets on the upper half or lower half? I like the look of the military slightly better but just don't want to be stuck with a wobbly mock. If you see it in the store check it out for me would ya? There's only a womens store in my town.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Will do. I have that cotton-ribbed s/j by the way, and I think it's great. Got it last winter.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not saying the hat is bad

just that everything is too much and looks like it's from a still from an old movie (unless you are going for that sort of thing)

there's a difference between looking great and looking like a character (although it does look good)

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
i'm not saying the hat is bad

just that everything is too much and looks like it's from a still from an old movie (unless you are going for that sort of thing)

there's a difference between looking great and looking like a character (although it does look good)

I see what you're saying. It does look a little too "try-hard" and costumey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads