• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S. Cohen suits: any good?

MatthewN

Reaction score
I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and the only two brands of suits available to me here are Calvin Klein and S. Cohen. I've read plenty of bad reviews about Calvin Klein here, but there's very little about S. Cohen. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The store here doesn't keep any in stock, so they're going to order one in for me to try on, but I want to get a sense of the quality and style in advance. I'm not very experienced with suits, so I'm relying on your good judgement to save me from a bad purchasing decision.
smile.gif

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I've never seen one, but after spending a few minutes on their website (http://www.scoheninc.com/) I was struck by the marketing push around their stretch fabric and stretch waistband. Keep an eye out for that in the sample that you examine.

oroy38

Reaction score
I've never heard of them it seems like they're making suits for the "Everyman," catering to the average sentiment that suits are stuffy and uncomfortable, as though trying to disprove it. I wouldn't expect anything spectacular. The cuts don't look very flattering either. There's no harm in trying it on though. Who knows, it might just be an undiscovered gem.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've four Cohen MTO suits, bought at a time when economizing was important. They've held up very, very well. Some of my pics in WAYWN are Cohens.

For the price, they've been better quality than typical department store off the rack brands (meaning Macy's type brands, not Saks/Barneys) and are priced less.

I've not seen an example but they have a new line, maybe called "torino"? that is a slimmer style, higher natural arnholes etc.

These are Cohen.

tu1o.jpg

yellvp5.jpg

garysee

Reaction score
I was travelling last week, went into a menswear store and tried on a S. Cohen. Hands down a great suit. Don't be sacred off by the stretch fabric. It's only 2% and you don't notice it The remainder is high twist wool. The suit is lite, well tapered with some over the top touches to the interior lining. Salesman told me it has a bead to maintain the crease in the pant and also a teflon-like treatment (can't remember the term) to resist stains. Doing a bit of research proved what he said to be true.
For me it's the perfect suit for spring to fall in the north east.
Details:
Made in Montreal, Canada
44reg
Tone on tone black
Single breasted two button
Side vented
Pants were flat front.
On sale for $449 alterations included

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I've four Cohen MTO suits, bought at a time when economizing was important. They've held up very, very well. Some of my pics in WAYWN are Cohens.

For the price, they've been better quality than typical department store off the rack brands (meaning Macy's type brands, not Saks/Barneys) and are priced less.

I've not seen an example but they have a new line, maybe called "torino"? that is a slimmer style, higher natural arnholes etc.

These are Cohen.

tu1o.jpg

yellvp5.jpg

You mean like in the last two years?

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
I have sold S. Cohen for years. High quality suit for the money. Very good MTO program. The Torino model is excellent for the young guy.

Reaction score
I live in Canada and I have a retailer near me who is selling S. Cohen suits from their Custom Cuts program. He states that the suits from the Custom Cuts program that he orders are half canvassed and that the fabric is from Europe. He is asking about $800 CAD for a made to measure suit.

Can anyone compare their quality to similarly priced off the rack options around Toronto? A Z Zegna or Hugo Boss will come in around the same price point. Are they similar in quality? Is $800 a fair price for one of their higher quality Custom Cuts?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think 800 is the best value. For 600-800 you can get a fully canvassed Samuelsohn from the Harry Rosen outlet. Also, HR has a Samuelsohn Mtm event coming up. In case you're not familiar with the brand, Samuelsohn has a much better reputation on the forum than ZZegna or Hugo Boss. It's basically Canada's Corneliani/Canali.

Reaction score
Hey, othertravel, thanks for the reply. I will go check out Samuelsohn at the Harry Rosen Outlet. Do you know when the Samuelsohn MTM event is going to be taking place? I'd like to check it out!

Ramil Tangco

Reaction score
Great quality, great value! I buy these suits as they are well made and are sturdy no shoddy lines...
I would prefer them over Moores or any other type suits. Torino is a great line, I`ve got two of those and am planning on buying more when I outfgrow these ones.
Prices vary from 400-800$, I am not rich but for 400-500$ these suits are well worth the $$$

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great quality, great value! I buy these suits as they are well made and are sturdy no shoddy lines...
I would prefer them over Moores or any other type suits. Torino is a great line, I`ve got two of those and am planning on buying more when I outfgrow these ones.
Prices vary from 400-800$, I am not rich but for 400-500$ these suits are well worth the $$$

Troll

A little known make and you rave about them in your first post.

Don't believe a word of it.

Haberdasher1144

Reaction score
S. Cohen is a well made very good quality ready made suit. Fabrics are very nice with a great hand. They have a made to measure program which basically gets you a quasi custom suit for a fantastic price. I believe you would have to go to a store that sells S. Cohen to get measured up for the iMeasure suits and Sport coats. I have been in the Custom Clothing business for over 25 years and S. Cohen is my go to suit for Gentlemen that can't yet afford my Custom Suits. I recommend them highly. Buy with Confidence!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads