• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm white, but I am part black so my hair is ****** up.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do a time-lapse series photos of yourself [ sydneylo-esque style ]__ on different angles from shaved to a jewfro and beyond. then, make your choice.

.... OR better yet, do a threak and we'll vote on it.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justin_o88
I've heard a few girls say they like my hair. I think they're referring more to the curls and the texture in general...not the actual shape of the hairstyle. A couple guys I work with make fun of me cuz I go to a saloon to get my hair cut and I should "go to a real barber who knows how to cut men's hair". The thing is, I dunno wtf to really do with my hair. It's messed up.

if anyone is going to know how to handle and manipulate your curls its going to be a real stylist. barbers aren't trained to really deal with manipulating texture. f your friends, they know nothing about hair.

justin_o88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
if anyone is going to know how to handle and manipulate your curls its going to be a real stylist. barbers aren't trained to really deal with manipulating texture. f your friends, they know nothing about hair.

Yeah but the thing is at the saloon, I've never seen one black guy there ever in the 4 years I've been going. Makes me wonder if these people have experience with hair like mine. Most of the people use clippers for men's hair there. You would think the people who use scissors have the most skill with shaping men's hair...wouldn't you?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a ************* barber. He'll know how to cut your hair.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah but the thing is at the saloon, I've never seen one black guy there ever in the 4 years I've been going. Makes me wonder if these people have experience with hair like mine. Most of the people use clippers for men's hair there. You would think the people who use scissors have the most skill with shaping men's hair...wouldn't you?
A good stylist is trained to work with all types of hair.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
A good stylist is trained to work with all types of hair.
If he could afford to pay $100 for a haircut, he wouldn't have posted this thread. Go to a black barbershop. Until you get to the very upper tier of salons, it's pretty much segregated. Salons only do white hair (they pretend that Asians have the same hair). I don't think the fauxhawk would be good for you, but you could pull it off. Listen to the suggestions to wash it less (you can still rinse it daily; just use shampoo every few days), and try some product. Try harder products meant for white hair first (maybe a fiber product; do not use gel) and work your way from there. A lot of black hair styling products are very difficult to work with and are probably not a good place to start if you're new to doing anything with your hair.

justin_o88

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the products people are really talking about. The saloon tells me to use Aveda pomade for men. I use that and mix in some gel. I don't think gel is good either. I like the dryer look. Can someone elaborate on what certain products do and how much to use, etc?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
If he could afford to pay $100 for a haircut, he wouldn't have posted this thread.

Around here, it wouldn't have to be that much, not even close. All the best to the OP in finding a style/cut that works.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the products people are really talking about. The saloon tells me to use Aveda pomade for men. I use that and mix in some gel. I don't think gel is good either. I like the dryer look. Can someone elaborate on what certain products do and how much to use, etc?
The Aveda pomade is a waste of time. Gel is just bad for everyone except Guidos (who need it to live). You need something that is matte and strong, which means fiber, paste, or clay. Pomades for white hair are generally light hold styling products with some shine, which is at best going to make your hair look greasy and matted. Pomades for black hair are pretty different (and by all accounts, brutally strong; I don't think your hair is coarse and kinky enough to need that). As far as easily available and relatively inexpensive stuff goes, try American Crew Fiber or one of the American Crew styling clays (there's a clay paste and a harder clay thing; you probably want the harder one, but maybe not). In my experience, none of the Aveda styling products are going to be much use for your hair; they're all pretty light hold except for the gels.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
All jokes aside, this is probably the best advise I've seen so far....that, and something Texas-Jack referenced in regards to haircare products.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
If he could afford to pay $100 for a haircut, he wouldn't have posted this thread.

Go to a black barbershop. Until you get to the very upper tier of salons, it's pretty much segregated. Salons only do white hair (they pretend that Asians have the same hair).

I don't think the fauxhawk would be good for you, but you could pull it off. Listen to the suggestions to wash it less (you can still rinse it daily; just use shampoo every few days), and try some product. Try harder products meant for white hair first (maybe a fiber product; do not use gel) and work your way from there. A lot of black hair styling products are very difficult to work with and are probably not a good place to start if you're new to doing anything with your hair.

ditto to all of that. sorry, didn't think of price as a factor. the guy i go to is a bumble & bumble network educator and he IS extremely talented, but i DO pay for it, $55 worth, ha.

regarding the 'salons only do white hair (they pretend that asians have the same hair)'

i'm asian and have actually found that american salons have done a much better job than the couple of japanese or korean salons i've gone to - the asian places always end up over texturizing, leaving me with a stringy, uneven mess. i like more natural, looser looking cuts and the skill set to achieve that just hasn't been there in the couple of asian places i've been to.

anywho, getting comments all the time like 'wow, you have really great hair' or 'wow, i didn't know asian hair could do that' . . . i think i'll stick to my caucasian salon
laugh.gif

sbbbjm

Reaction score

Go to a black barbershop. Until you get to the very upper tier of salons, it's pretty much segregated. Salons only do white hair (they pretend that Asians have the same hair).

I don't think the fauxhawk would be good for you, but you could pull it off. Listen to the suggestions to wash it less (you can still rinse it daily; just use shampoo every few days), and try some product. Try harder products meant for white hair first (maybe a fiber product; do not use gel) and work your way from there. A lot of black hair styling products are very difficult to work with and are probably not a good place to start if you're new to doing anything with your hair.

ditto to all of that. sorry, didn't think of price as a factor. the guy i go to is a bumble & bumble network educator and he IS extremely talented, but i DO pay for it, $55 worth, ha.

regarding the 'salons only do white hair (they pretend that asians have the same hair)'

i'm asian and have actually found that american salons have done a much better job than the couple of japanese or korean salons i've gone to - the asian places always end up over texturizing, leaving me with a stringy, uneven mess. i like more natural, looser looking cuts and the skill set to achieve that just hasn't been there in the couple of asian places i've been to.

anywho, getting comments all the time like 'wow, you have really great hair' or 'wow, i didn't know asian hair could do that' . . . i think i'll stick to my caucasian salon
laugh.gif

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Yeah, but I'm guessing he's feeling awkward about going to one.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
my old roommate is white and went to a black barber for his buzz cut. he said they did it much better there bc it grew out more neatly and even.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads