• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
You guys were right: prices are definitely starting to go up. I hadn't noticed that before down here but yesterday I hit one of my most consistent and cheapest places and was stunned. Their shoes had always been <$10 but now they had some for $39.99! Suits went from <$10 to the $15 - $20 range. I saw a nice BB button down casual shirt but passed on it because it was $18. Don't they know you can pick up new ones on clearance for $19.99?

Light day:
Daniel de Fasson tie: $2.99
Nordstrom casual button-down: $1.99

I wouldn't be suprised at all if thrift store managers are reading threads like this.
Good things never last. Best grab what you can before they get even more greedy.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swan Song
Here is a picture of the Equilibrio shirt I mentioned above.

What is the formal name for this type of sport shirt with the rolled collar and no top button?

I am spoiled, now.

Equilibrio makes some really cool casual shirts. I've come across a few in the past couple years since a local shop specializing in streetwear and some higher-end dressier stuff (Hugo Boss, Rufus, Seize sur Vingt...) started carrying the line.

I'm pretty sure the term for the collar that kind of blends right into the button placket is called a "drop line placket". Not sure about the no collar button, though.

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swan Song
Irish Linen Company shirt
Wonderful quality, beige, 100% linen, Made in Ireland long-sleeve shirt, $4

About 5 or so years ago the Marshall's in Laredo, TX had a bunch of Irish Linen Company shirts in a variety of colors. They were selling them for around $40 or $50. They were really nice but that was a bit more than I wanted to spend so I waited for them to go on clearance. For around $20 I got a white one, which was the only color left. I really wanted a blue or green one. Not sure of the original price, but I bet it was at least $80 and probably over $100.

mike

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Did you want the jacket you tried on or did they insist they needed it? If you were going to buy it, I'd take it up with the BBB. That's just wrong. However, they could have just been moving things around (thrifts seem to like to move sections around - I don't know why as it's rather pointless).

I wasn't really sold on it so it wasn't a big deal, its just that I didn't get to see at least 1/2 of what they had. I saw them roll the racks into the back so I hope you're right and I'm not.

I guess I shouldn't complain about prices because it sounds like most of you guys have been paying more for awhile. My wife thinks it could be becuase of back-to-school and the Holidays coming in though I doubt that would creep into tailored clothing. Do you guys ever see seasonal increases?

mco543

Reaction score
From my local thrifts i've picked up the following over the past couple weeks. Hopefully i'll hit up a few estate and yard sales tomorrow.

2 more Dior ties for my collection, 1 light yellow with a black and blue paisley pattern and 1 very thin black with some sort of crest on it, looks like a crown ontop circular crest with a clover inside
Pink pocket square with turquoise, black, and yellow floral design and borders
Brooks Brothers shirt french blue with french cuffs
Tommy Hilfiger dark green sports coat
Zegna Soft shirt black with gold specks
Burberry London shirt dark blue and black circular pattern
Paul Stuart blue/turquoise/white striped french cuff shirt
PRL custom fit french cuff shirt blue with white, pink, and black stripes and a contrasting white spread collar
HSM suit 2 button black glen plaid with a dark grey windowpane (might be available)
Chocolate Brown 3 button suit with gold and mint green stripes, no tagging or labels. The jacket is slim cut with narrow lapels and no vent and the pants are pleated with cuffs
Nautica 2 button suit in light tan with a white windowpane
Burberry silver nova plaid block cufflinks
White gold cufflinks with Emeralds
Sterling silver niello cufflinks with lions
2 pair of Johnston and Murphy made in Italy balmoral boots 1 in brown and 1 in burgendy
Complete Waterford bone china set for my Mother

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Today I picked up a J.Press 3./2 tan sport coat. It's a sack coat, but it fits snugly, which I like. I also grabbed a two ties of unknown branding, a pair of equally unknown gray shoes with very low profile soles, and a Brooks Brothers &quot;Slim Fit&quot; pima cotton ocbd that appeared to be nwot. It's the first BB shirt that's fit me reasonably well, though it's still not as fitted as I'd like and will probably spend most of its time under sweaters. Nice material though.

JonHecht

Reaction score
Inspired by this thread, I walked over to the thrift store by my house. A "Tailored with pride in the USA" (heh) Land's End cord jacket (4 bucks and it fits well; I also needed a cord jacket) Omaggio by Robert Talbott linen Nehru-style white shirt, made in Italy Brooks Brothers khakis, made in Thailand
frown.gif
. It fits nicely and looks nice, but I may take it to the tailor to make it have a more slimmer fit. Christian Dior tie, 95% Polyester, made in USA. 3" at widest point. Total spent: 21.85 after tax.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
That's pretty... pretty. How is the fit on you?

if you are refering to the Equilibrio shirt, It is a perfect fit for me, my tailor usually has to shorten the sleeves a bit.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Equilibrio makes some really cool casual shirts. I've come across a few in the past couple years since a local shop specializing in streetwear and some higher-end dressier stuff (Hugo Boss, Rufus, Seize sur Vingt...) started carrying the line.

I'm pretty sure the term for the collar that kind of blends right into the button placket is called a "drop line placket". Not sure about the no collar button, though.

here's how it looks with a sport coat.....I love the casual look

It's a BD so you don't have to worry over the position of the collar points.

Swan Song

Reaction score
and today, a pair of Made in USA Johnston-Murphy Wingtips-Merlot color- in my size of 9.5D, $6.

disinfected the insides with Lysol spray, let it sit and dry, put in new laces, cleaned upper, buffed, a little edge color, and ready to go.

and a light blue-gray leather winter slipper by Jack Frost, new....$ 2......Bring on the Winter!!!!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I did quite well today - a pair of Alden oxblood cordovan penny loafers, very lightly worn, £25 / $40.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Well..I tried again today. All I got was a mouthful of dust when I shook a jacket before trying it on.
It was an orphaned Pal Zileri in medium grey...it turned out to be too small. On the up-side it was the first decent thing I have seen yet at any thrift store, but alas, not my size so I didn't buy it.
Will try again next week.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**Advance apology for the ****** pictures. Our office camera sucks, as do my photography skills. Not a good combination.)** So today I had one of those epic finds that make your heart skip a beat when you try to take it all in. It's been a very slow year so far. It's been a couple years since I had a really good find (four recent Isaia suits). This summer, as most summers do, blows thrift wise. Garage sales usually never have anything unless you go to a really wealthy neighborhood, but they rarely have garage sales. I heard about a local church sale today, so I figured "what the hell", got up at 6am and went to stand in line for 1 1/2 hrs so I could get first dibs on stuff. Just as it started to rain, they started to let us in. The place was a maze and the mere size of the place didn't help either. I got lost, but finally found the men's clothing room(s). Dress shirts, trousers, suits/jackets and outerwear were in one room and tee-shirts, knits, ties, belts, etc were in another. I didn't even find the shoes, though I bet there were some nice ones! Poorest set-up ever! I probably passed up some very nice dress shirts, ties and trousers because of the way they set up! Dress shirts were folded in half and stacked 20-30 shirts high. This made a huge mess as people wanting to see what was on the bottom messed the piles up. Ties and trousers were tossed in random cardboard boxes. The suits/jackets was the only section that was easy to look through. As soon as I got in, I went straight to the suit rack and pulled out a very recent Brooks Bros. Golden Fleece (Hand Tailored in Italy, but not by Isaia) suit. 50L and $20. Not bad, but too big. I keep flipping and find two beautiful recent Oxxford suits. Next is a bunch of Versace V2 garbage. Then a couple Armani black labels and then I see this label staring at me:
DSC05821.jpg
I thought "Damn! I know that label. But can it be....." Flipped the jacket open to find that I was right:
DSC05823.jpg
I keep going down the line, Brioni, Brioni, Brioni, Brioni....... I couldn't believe it! Here's the haul. All pretty recent Brioni suits, except for two older suits and one older sportcoat. Sportcoats were $13 and suits were $20. I spent way more than I ever have at any thrift/garage sale but this basically the deal of a lifetime and I know I'd regret not picking them up! All in excellent shape. Mix of 44R/44S. The 44S ones will be for sale shortly.
DSC05825.jpg
DSC05826.jpg
DSC05827.jpg
DSC05828.jpg
Among my favorites is a 100% silk herringbone blazer (left).
DSC05829.jpg
DSC05833.jpg
DSC05834.jpg
DSC05837.jpg
Now for those of you who are thinking "Damn, did you leave anything behind for the potential sartorial bargain hunter?!" I did indeed. I left behind at least 4 more older Brioni suits, 3 older Brioni sportcoats, at least a dozen recent Brooks Bros. Golden Fleece and mainline suits and a handful of Oxxfords. Partially because I only had so much cash and partially because I wanted to leave behind some stuff to make this sale worthwhile to others too. I can't stand people who "clean house" when they find a load of nice stuff, so I didn't want to become that person, though it was very tempting! Anyway, long story short - be persistent. Keep at it and good finds will come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads