• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KMW — believe the hype

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-2 if your very skinny... otherwise ehhhh i dunno about that

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
-2 if your very skinny... otherwise ehhhh i dunno about that

Eh, what can I say? I'm skinny. (shrugs)

I think the cut of the KMW 1980s are forgiving too, especially for a slim-cut fit.

Plus, I've had waaay too many expensive 'first-pair' trial and error failures of not sizing down enough, even with dense-weave heavier denim. Besides, I'd rather err on smaller in the hope I won't get fat, rather than the other way around :)

Automated Response

Reaction score
+1 on all of that ^ (except the skinny part!)

Buying cloths is such a trial and error process, esp. since I'm of the athletic sort. Everything fits a tad 'off'.

And I too err on the side too pants that are snug, as it forces me to reality check when I've been lazy in the gym or lazy in the kitchen.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gavin;2349901 said:
I took photos of my 1980s for something else, so I may as well post them in here. These are about 18-24 months old with about 12-18 months of regular (daily) wear and maybe 4-6 washes over that time:
QUOTE]

I take it there isn't much fading? Wow are KMW that hard to fade? I know the light is not so great, but those suckers look dark after 6 washes.

Gavin

Reaction score
irbe;2350747 said:
Originally Posted by Gavin
I took photos of my 1980s for something else, so I may as well post them in here. These are about 18-24 months old with about 12-18 months of regular (daily) wear and maybe 4-6 washes over that time:
QUOTE]

I take it there isn't much fading? Wow are KMW that hard to fade? I know the light is not so great, but those suckers look dark after 6 washes.

There's some visible wear, sure, but they're still pretty dark overall.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KMWs have a reputation to be one of the harder ones to fade.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually like this. My APC NS faded a lot after one dry cleaning. I like the new pattern but I want something that stays darker.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of 1980's till I noticed the back pockets... Are they really as massive as they look? Also, would a 32 work for someone with a 32.5-33" waist? Thanks!

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned
I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of 1980's till I noticed the back pockets... Are they really as massive as they look? Also, would a 32 work for someone with a 32.5-33" waist? Thanks!

Do it. I have three pair, and they're without a doubt the best jeans I've ever owned.

The back pockets are not as visually big as they might seem, and are positioned on the back so that they don't seem intrusive or affect the shape, cut, drape or fit. So don't be intimidated. I like them (and I'm not thrilled with my Rag and Bone RB15 back pockets, which are even bigger IMO.

One other item which I like is that the KMWs don't suffer any significant 'ass poof' (for lack of a better term), during the first few weeks and months, unlike most of my other jeans. Not sure if the pocket design affects this at all.

Try ordering from Context. You can always return for store credit.

Yes, a 32 will most definitely work, and you won't experience significant stretch. See Context size chart (note measured size vs. tagged size):

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=481

father's room

Reaction score
dyzf, I would size down to 31 because it will stretch out. My experience with KMW 1980 new 2009 comes bigger than last KMW 1980. Also, I have a BNWT 1980 size 31 for sale.

oshen

Reaction score
yeah i agree with father's room. 31 would be better unless you have big thighs.

JSTF

Reaction score
just how big are kmws pockets? can someone measure them for me?

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Originally Posted by father's room
dyzf, I would size down to 31 because it will stretch out. My experience with KMW 1980 new 2009 comes bigger than last KMW 1980. Also, I have a BNWT 1980 size 31 for sale.
I'd prefer a 31 but I can get 32's for $97. If you want to offer a similiar price, feel free to pm me.
Originally Posted by oshen
yeah i agree with father's room. 31 would be better unless you have big thighs.
they're not small, 22". Still think 31 or 32?

JSTF

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics