• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop wearing dress shoes (oxfords, brogues, monks) without socks!!!!

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
Loafer socks.

2455347125_d1e35c47d3.jpg

those above just seem exactly what one needs to have the look (which I don't subscribe to) without the annoyances....

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've worn longwings sockless for casual wear a few times, but I wouldn't do it with a suit. A little powder in the shoes reduces if not eliminates sweat and smell. I don't like the sockless look with suits.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafer socks don't help the look. Similar things to good-quality dress shoes worn without socks: -- good-quality dress shoes that have never seen a shoe tree or polish -- sports coat worn unbuttoned, with rocks in the hip pockets -- ties removed and hung in a closet, still knotted (to "save time") -- dress shirts worn four times between washes -- dress shirts subjected to high heat in the dryer, puckering shoulder seams -- trousers worn with so much break, the hems are permanently soiled and prematurely frayed I don't think it looks good to wear your clothing like you are totally frickin' clueless about how to care for your clothing.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this look, but it is far too uncomfortable, so I never do it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Loafer socks don't help the look.

Similar things to good-quality dress shoes worn without socks:

-- good-quality dress shoes that have never seen a shoe tree or polish
-- sports coat worn unbuttoned, with rocks in the hip pockets
-- ties removed and hung in a closet, still knotted (to "save time")
-- dress shirts worn four times between washes
-- dress shirts subjected to high heat in the dryer, puckering shoulder seams
-- trousers worn with so much break, the hems are permanently soiled and prematurely frayed

I don't think it looks good to wear your clothing like you are totally frickin' clueless about how to care for your clothing.

That's a sign of handwork
teacha.gif

IBJanky

Reaction score
I go sockless at times, depends on how I feel. That's just my style though... and I just don't care what other people think.

As long as I feel good and confident about myself, that's all that matters.

myke

Grainraiser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
I go sockless at times, depends on how I feel. That's just my style though... and I just don't care what other people think.

myke

I only like the sockless look with some loafers but like you said it's all personal preference. If you like that's what you should roll with it.

bafield

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
those above just seem exactly what one needs to have the look (which I don't subscribe to) without the annoyances....
It's not the hygienic nature of sock-less look that most here would oppose...it's how it looks. Again, there are some shoes that lend themselves to this look better than others (loafers for example) but Edmoral's point is that it looks awful with oxfords, brogues, and monks specifically.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

I look at this PSA with the same mixture of wonder and horror as when I buy something like a new tv and it has a note that says "do not eat".

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky

myke

False. This is the sartorial equivalent of "it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game"

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
False. This is the sartorial equivalent of "it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game"

I lol'ed.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

Amen, this always gives me mental images of clammy, sweaty feet and sweat stained sockliners.. Yuk..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads