• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

airblaster503

Reaction score
You should be fine with the NS. I just measured the hem on my 31s and it is right under 8.2. The NS isn't that slim of a cut it is just a straight leg with a slight taper, pretty much just like a 514. imo the rescue would be to big. Also though you should check out 3sixteen straight legs. Self Edge carries them and it is a better built jean if you ask me.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I'm looking for my first pair of decent quality jeans. Nothing fancy, just raw selvedge indigo under $200. It's clear that APC NS is the most common starter selvedge, but I think they'd be too slim down the legs for my taste.

I have a pair of 30x32 Levi's 514's which fit well, measuring 16" flat across the waist and 8.25" at the hem. Would APC Rescues in a size 28 be a safe bet?

Context's measurements lead me to think "yes": 30" waist, 8.5" hem
Farinelli's measurements lead me to think "no": 31" waist, 7.5" hem

imo, time is precious. there's that chance [6 mos down the line] that you might want more out the jeans experience, so imo might as well start it right. you got a battery of knowledgeable ppl here to help you with questions and possible hook ups__ but you need to set criteria like the fit/cut, measurement, and denim weight/quality [eg, texture, fast fader or not, etc.]

if you got qualms about buying used jeans, no worries__ there's a ton of brand new stuff for a lot less @FS that will literally fit the bill [$200 and under].

recommended options: Flathead 380, Samurai 0500 or 5000vx, PBJ 003 [005 for slimmer fit], SDA 101 [103 for slimmer fit], Fullcount 1108, Oni Blue, Denime 66XX.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I'm looking for my first pair of decent quality jeans. Nothing fancy, just raw selvedge indigo under $200. It's clear that APC NS is the most common starter selvedge, but I think they'd be too slim down the legs for my taste.

I have a pair of 30x32 Levi's 514's which fit well, measuring 16" flat across the waist and 8.25" at the hem. Would APC Rescues in a size 28 be a safe bet?

Context's measurements lead me to think "yes": 30" waist, 8.5" hem
Farinelli's measurements lead me to think "no": 31" waist, 7.5" hem

Context's measurements are correct. 7.5" hem at size 28 sounds more like NS.

Originally Posted by airblaster503
You should be fine with the NS. I just measured the hem on my 31s and it is right under 8.2. The NS isn't that slim of a cut it is just a straight leg with a slight taper, pretty much just like a 514. imo the rescue would be to big. Also though you should check out 3sixteen straight legs. Self Edge carries them and it is a better built jean if you ask me.
He's looking at size 28, though, not 31. And NS is definitely slimmer than the 514, as the 514 doesn't taper at all. That said, Rescues are going to be quite a bit looser overall.

airblaster503

Reaction score
If he doesn't size down 3 he should be fine. Just wear a belt so they don't stretch, I sized down 2 at the time but what is now 1 and I have a fit alot similar to my 514s. Like the person said above though, it would be worth it to just get a nicer pair from the start than apc's. I still recommend checking out 3sixteen since they fit your criteria of being under 200 and are definatly better quality.

JaPo

Reaction score
Concerning a pair of Acne Max Raw;

I wear a size 32 in most jeans. H+M slims, Levis, and Nudies in my current rota. My Nudies, however, have stretched out to nearly 34 inches so I need a belt for them to stay up. Probably could have sized down to a 30 - and endure a dickshrinkingly tight first few days. I've been given the offer of a pair of Acne Max in a size 30/34 for a cracking price. The inseam is decent and with the leg opening I'm sure they'll stack a notch better than my Grim Tims did.

To anyone with any knowledge of Acne jeans - will they stretch to accommodate my waist? I don't mind a snug fit for the first few weeks.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
KMW 1950 in Rinse ($138 @ Revolve) or 3Sixteen SL-100x ($175 @ SE).

KMW is a good deal, but they don't have my size in Raw, only rinse. Opinions?

shaftoe

Reaction score
^ Go for the KMWs. Top notch quality and construction, and $138 is a sweet deal for those jeans.

Lachy

Reaction score
Depends, what's important to you? Rawness for fades, or price point? KMWs are great jeans, but if you're really looking to break in a pair of raws, then the rinse just won't do.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shaftoe
^ Go for the KMWs. Top notch quality and construction, and $138 is a sweet deal for those jeans.

Agree it's a sweet deal, but not entirely sure it's the slim fit I want and the 30x34 they have available may be a tad bit small in the waist ( a 31 is probably what I should be wearing).

Originally Posted by Lachy
Depends, what's important to you? Rawness for fades, or price point? KMWs are great jeans, but if you're really looking to break in a pair of raws, then the rinse just won't do.

Well I was hoping to get my first pair of raws, but it's hard to argue with the price of the KMW's. They have a set of Raw's for the same price in a 34 I believe - if anyone's interested.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ugh i just hot soaked my pair of rrl raws and then left them outside to dry... now they are as stiff as cardboard
frown.gif
how do i make them soft like my mij washed diors?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
ugh i just hot soaked my pair of rrl raws and then left them outside to dry... now they are as stiff as cardboard
frown.gif

how do i make them soft like my mij washed diors?

Wear them.

Piroshky

Reaction score
So I found a pair of jeans where I literally will get cock fades, and no, they're not skinny.
baldy[1].gif

Pictures in a bit.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
but they are stiff and uncomfortable... can i just wash with fabric softener?

They will loosen back up within a day of wearing them. There is absolutely no need for fabric softener.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads