• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you shave with?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People often overthink and overcomplicate this.

I have sensitive but also clear and normal skin.

I use this:

ES8043SC.jpg

I shave dry - no cream or anything, no water. No irritation or razor burn either. Takes 3-5 minutes and I'm done. Don't even need aftershave.

Welcome to the 21st century, gentlemen.

onlinematt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by palladium15
water and gillette

Bejeezus. That's gotta hurt.
frown.gif

Red Israeli blades
Truefitt & Hill Grafton soap
Merkur 34C stick

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
So I received my new razor and took it out for a method shave spin. My method: put lather on, shave, rinse off when finished. How the hell can there be a dozen forums for something so bloody simple? lefty
How'd you like the 38c and what blades did you end up getting?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
People often overthink and overcomplicate this.

I have sensitive but also clear and normal skin.

I use this:

I shave dry - no cream or anything, no water. No irritation or razor burn either. Takes 3-5 minutes and I'm done. Don't even need aftershave.

Welcome to the 21st century, gentlemen.

I tried one of those and got some hellacious ingrown hairs. I mean, my face was smooth and I totally see the appeal, but digging out ingrowns is 1) painful, and b) time-consuming, more so that the blade and brush.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I tried one of those and got some hellacious ingrown hairs. I mean, my face was smooth and I totally see the appeal, but digging out ingrowns is 1) painful, and b) time-consuming, more so that the blade and brush.
Interesting, I don't think I've ever had an ingrown hair on my face. Weird. Different skin types or something I guess. By the way, it may also be this particular model - I've tried something different before, one of those triple circular things, and it totally sucked and hurt.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How'd you like the 38c and what blades did you end up getting?

So far so good.

I like the weight and length and use three fingers on the handle with my little finger supporting the bottom. Close shave with two passes and some touch ups. I did buy a blade sampler pack but popped in the blade supplied with the razor and it works fine.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
easy: Acquisition Disorders. First you get a razor and blades. Then you read someone rave about another razor, and different blades. They're fairly inexpensive, everyone has a collection - and they've been at it a while and it's the norm - so you pick up a few more. Soon you have a herd of razors and a bunch of blades.

Then you turn to soaps. Some are soap guys, some are cream guys, others rotate and are seasonal. Some swear by English tallow soaps, some go for French milled soaps, shea butter blends, glycerin/clay formulas, and different scents, too!!! So you try a few and a few more, and guys are off-loading their soaps all the time, so soon you have a drawer or a cabinet of soaps and creams.

Then you hear the whispers...straight razors...shhh. scary, those things. Sneeze, and you've lost an ear. Old School at its finest. Nothing between the blade and a smooth face. ...Here's one on the board, pretty reasonable. You send your funds via paypal and now have a gleaming weapon of beardly destruction. Maybe it works for you, maybe you wish it were more...substantial. You get a bigger one. You hear about grinds: hollow, quarter-hollow, wedge. Different steels: Sheffield, Solingen, Japanese. Old makers, long-lost pieces of history in your hands. You find a deal on ebay, it's dull - how do I sharpen this? Hones, strops, pastes, powders...it's sharp enough, right? It's rickety? How do I fix this so it's beautiful?

At least, that's how it went for me. I don't post on those boards like I used to, though. Two drawers-full is my limit.

I could see collecting old straight and safety razors, but the "how to" advice is complicating the hell out of one of the simpler acts of getting ready in the morning. They're just so damned earnest - Shave of the Day - WTF? I wonder what their fathers would think.

I'm tempted to join just to ask about the best balm for a freshly shorn scrotum, but I think it would shock their ishave/igent hearts. And I don't have the heart to do that.

lefty

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I could see collecting old straight and safety razors, but the "how to" advice is complicating the hell out of one of the simpler acts of getting ready in the morning. They're just so damned earnest - Shave of the Day - WTF? I wonder what their fathers would think.

I'm tempted to join just to ask about the best balm for a freshly shorn scrotum, but I think it would shock their ishave/igent hearts. And I don't have the heart to do that.

lefty

If you posted said question on SRP, you'd probably get a chuckle. Post that on B&B and you would crash the server, such would be the howls of outrage.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you posted said question on SRP, you'd probably get a chuckle. Post that on B&B and you would crash the server, such would be the howls of outrage.
laugh.gif

eep

Reaction score
Been using a brush/cream for about a month with my Mach 3 and have really enjoyed it. Just ordered a Merkur.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Post that on B&B and you would crash the server, such would be the howls of outrage.

That makes it tempting.

lefty

stylo 9000

Reaction score

lefty

What's so bad about wanting a better shave?
eh.gif

different strokes

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RCG Tiburon
What's so bad about wanting a better shave?
eh.gif
different strokes

Nothing. But men gathering in a room to watch another guy shave then applauding afterward? What's next? Meeting in a hotel room on a Saturday afternoon to discuss clothes? It's shaving. If you can't master it by the third try time to hand in your membership card to all things manly. lefty

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unrated
I'm having problems under my chin and just under the jaw line shaving with a merkur 34c, any tips on how I can reach those areas?

Stretch your skin: pull it up over the jawline on the sides. Under the chin, jut your chin out, stretch the skin by pulling down, and watch your blade angle closely.

unrated

Reaction score
Stretch your skin: pull it up over the jawline on the sides. Under the chin, jut your chin out, stretch the skin by pulling down, and watch your blade angle closely.

Thanks for the tips. I started out using the Merkur blade which came with my razor but then switched to Derby. What a world of difference, its unbelievable. The Derby blades cut so much better and easier. Now my technique just has to improve
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads