• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Your posts in this thread suggest you aren't at all considering that a fair number of regulars in SW&D are younger people who are putting together wardrobes on student/entry-level wage

Not everyone here can drop a few grand over the course of a couple months on clothes, much as they might like to. I think that's where a lot of the gripes over pricing comes in. Even if these people take the quality over quantity approach to buying, there's still not much wiggle room with their given budget.

I'd love to shell out the bucks for every piece of clothing that strikes my fancy. But I can't at this point in my life. I'm finishing up schooling that I've had to pay for myself. I live on my own. I have rent, a car payment, insurance, groceries, etc. each month that calls dibs on my limited income before any luxuries such as clothing can.

My visits in MC are infrequent and short, but it seems the majority of its posters are well into their well-paying careers. So naturally, there's a bigger chunk of the income pie to devote to non-necessities.

MC and SW&D may share close real estate, but they are definitely two different beasts.

I'm only 23, so I am young. I've worked through university, so I'm not sure I buy all the "I have no moneys" talk - people just spend more on trips / beer / going out / sticky icky etc.

However, my point wasn't really to people who can't afford good stuff - You make do with what you have.

Alot of people just buy heaps of **** that is low quality, and then they are like "OMFG I Have to Start again! lol!" - even worse, is when a noob asks for advice on buying good T's / sweaters / items and someone recommends buying something decent, to have other people yell over the top "OMFG BUY BR / J CREW U ***"

It's the same when people are like "what is diff between BoO n JCrew Brah? LoL! 3 for 1!" or people who are like 'Hey! Can you plz add sewn in box pleat to ur shirts??"

There is also a pervasive belief in SW&D that it is bad to buy things that are 'too' expensive - like their is some mysterious way gauging that RO Sneaks are less 'value' then boutique hand made shin high duck boots. Full blown Americana is just as costume as goth ninja, its just less confronting and more acceptable socially.

What is the real difference between Augusta boots and Quoddy peanut suede deck chukka boots?

The cost. Your just consuming a particular fashion or trend at the end of the day, at a price point that you feel comfortable with.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
If you worked through university to afford designer clothes rather than spending money on trips, beer, going out, etc... you need to seriously re-evaluate your life and priorities.

I sometimes wonder how often people here wear their clothes out vs how much they put them on take pictures and sit by the computer eagerly awaiting a response.

Originally Posted by Razele
I'm only 23, so I am young. I've worked through university, so I'm not sure I buy all the "I have no moneys" talk - people just spend more on trips / beer / going out / sticky icky etc.

However, my point wasn't really to people who can't afford good stuff - You make do with what you have.

Alot of people just buy heaps of **** that is low quality, and then they are like "OMFG I Have to Start again! lol!" - even worse, is when a noob asks for advice on buying good T's / sweaters / items and someone recommends buying something decent, to have other people yell over the top "OMFG BUY BR / J CREW U ***"

It's the same when people are like "what is diff between BoO n JCrew Brah? LoL! 3 for 1!" or people who are like 'Hey! Can you plz add sewn in box pleat to ur shirts??"

There is also a pervasive belief in SW&D that it is bad to buy things that are 'too' expensive - like their is some mysterious way gauging that RO Sneaks are less 'value' then boutique hand made shin high duck boots. Full blown Americana is just as costume as goth ninja, its just less confronting and more acceptable socially.

What is the real difference between Augusta boots and Quoddy peanut suede deck chukka boots?

The cost. Your just consuming a particular fashion or trend at the end of the day, at a price point that you feel comfortable with.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
If you worked through university to afford designer clothes rather than spending money on trips, beer, going out, etc... you need to seriously re-evaluate your life and priorities.

I sometimes wonder how often people here wear their clothes out vs how much they put them on take pictures and sit by the computer eagerly awaiting a response.

I didn't say that. You can't ***** and say your poor when you have a carton of artisinal beer and a pack of smokes in your car while you drive down the coast though, can you, brah.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like Kaiser said before, especially when you're young and in uni and whatever, you're probably going to calculate money spending on clothes after money spent on trips, beer, and going out. It all comes down to prioritizing, I mean I could spend $180 on a new BoO shirt or something, or I can spend $10 on a t-shirt or $50 at J. Crew with the rest going to having a good time. No one in real life is going to judge you on that, and it all comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Is it wrong for students to ask "What's the best quality deal I can get with my money?" Are you that stuck up that you would ALWAYS recommend BoO or EG over Gap or J. Crew 100% of the time, even after factoring in how much money a student has available to spend? Just because American Apparel or Alternative Apparel or Mossimo doesn't work for you doesn't mean that they are poor suggestions. You can shout your W+H t-shirt fanboyism all you want, but Faded Glory t-shirts work perfect for me, and I'd really just feel like dick if a $60 t-shirt smelled like smokes and beer after a night out. I know a lot of members here are going to disagree about it, and I admit I'm really small time, but I don't think it's wrong for people to recommend "small time" brands.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See thats exactly it.

Your first paragraph is fine, and I even said that when I said "YOU MAKE DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE". If boozing and partying are what you want to do, and its a big priority, then why even care about clothes. For a long time I couldn't have cared less, and just wore whatever I got on sale. I can't see the sense in it, but each to their own.

However, calling me out for being a fanboi over W+H t's is were you become a cock. It's not that you want to buy mall but that you dump on people for actually buying good quality pieces rather then faceless clone garbage, because you can't find 'value' in it.

I couldn't give a **** if you want to buy Gap or Mossimo, but don't drag down other people for lifting thier game.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

EDIT

ARW, I need Prorsum in my life.

Was it you who said that its the same thing every season? I'm actually ok with that.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I care about clothes because the way you look says a whole lot about yourself. I rarely wear just a t-shirt, the only times I do is when I know my clothes are going to get filthy, like a place with lots of smoking or a concert. I would still like to look nice in every other situation, but as I've said before, most of the time small time brands work for great for me. My mom is a tailor though, so fit isn't too much of a problem. I have no problem dropping money on clothing well worth it, I'm eagerly awaiting MJK chambray to be up and WvG to drop.

Okay, the fanboy comment was out of line, but that was mostly in response to how you were just ******** on everyone who suggested J. Crew or something of the same vein, as if your suggestion would always be correct because W+H does make quality goods. I'm not ******** on you for having the money to "up your game", but rather for being a complete and total dick about it. Price is a major factor for purchase, moreso for students. If someone asks for a good fitting tee that isn't very expensive, do you wonder why you would have to shout over everyone else to get the W+H suggestion heard?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I spend far less on clothes now than I did in college, fwiw. I might make it recession-steelo through til the end of 2009 with less than $1000 of clothing/shoes purchases if I am remembering everything, I spent maybe $3-4K last year, and possibly $1-2K the year before and the year before that. I also have a wardrobe that is at least 10-50X better than my own college wardrobe and better than the good majority of SF....

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FFS

Can we have a J Crew subforum? Please?

Were did I **** on "EVERYONE" who suggested J Crew? I said twice that I get it if your poor. TWICE.

However I did give examples of what I was pissed at, and I suggest you read them. Buy crap, I don't care.

Anyway.

Does anyone like welted pockets instead of flaps on suit coats?

I love the clean lines.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT

ARW, I need Prorsum in my life.

Was it you who said that its the same thing every season? I'm actually ok with that.

Yes it is beautiful, and no I did not say that actually. Have read that a few times and don't really agree at all.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Yes it is beautiful, and no I did not say that actually. Have read that a few times and don't really agree at all.
Ah k, must be someone else in that thread. I like Prorsum but I feel like I'd want to handle the pieces first before I throw down. I've seen good knitwear and outerwear from them, and that's what I get drawn to. Sweet knits are the incandescent lamp to my inner moth.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that, never tried on the suiting though so it'd be a shot in the dark (not to mention the pattern is borderline costume). Almost grabbed some of the summer weight jeans that I like but just can't spend at the moment. These jeans -
05.JPG

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need that harrington. Annoying that it was sold out in my size before it hit deep sale at OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads