• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
at the end of the day, with any luxury brand, part of the appeal of rick is that it is so expensive.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i think fashion designers are artists.

con artists

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
what bothers me though is that people are too busy talking up nico and are missing other, better brands.

Please state other better brands in a similar style. That's a completely serious question. I have a few NiCo pieces I like (mostly understated items) and wouldn't mind branching out into other realms.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Please state other better brands in a similar style. That's a completely serious question. I have a few NiCo pieces I like (mostly understated items) and wouldn't mind branching out into other realms.
well geller doesn't work for you, but have you tried any helmut lang lately? I also love neil barret, but its $$$$$$ my #1 pick for fall is still billy reid, but that doesn't really work in that same vein.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well geller doesn't work for you, but have you tried any helmut lang lately? I also love neil barret, but its $$$$$$

my #1 pick for fall is still billy reid, but that doesn't really work in that same vein.

neil barrett is $ on ebay and yoox... and doesnt helmut lang suck after theory bought it out? stuff seems radioactive to me and im afraid to buy it fearing all the syntheticness

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

LOOOOOOOOL

you had me for a sec

Originally Posted by Nil

+1

well geller doesn't work for you, but have you tried any helmut lang lately? I also love neil barret, but its $$$$$$

my #1 pick for fall is still billy reid, but that doesn't really work in that same vein.

http://helloblackbird.blogspot.com/2...w-2007-08.html
http://www.shopstyle.com/browse/mens...r/Neil-Barrett
^^ while both of those are cool neither are what nico is doing

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I'm pretty sure you're just trolling me but come on man.....He has contributed a vast amount to contemporary design.

Rick Owens appropriates ideas from sculpture and architecture in to his works and takes elements of classsic couture and fashion design such as severe shape and layerered, elegant draping and translates them in to every day wearable stuff. Nearly every item he has produced is meant to be worn day to day which was a real break with the avant garde. Throw in a winking nod to sub culture (like the sneakers and shorts) and you have a small but important element of wit and irreverence that helps round it all off.

Rick Owens occupies the spot where Bauhaus, the school of architecture and Bauhaus the proto-goth band meet.

Actually dude he just is doing what Michelle Lamy was doing in the late 80s/early 90s with her own line.

"Her fashion designs have bankrolled her diversification. Each season her collections combine old favorites with new shapes. Among the recurring themes are her most popular knitwear garments: fly-away vests, tunic tops (both short and long) and leggings. The silhouettes of her jackets change from season to season.

For the coming fall she draped web-like constructions of knitted fabric around the shoulders and waists of her models who wore a basic under-layer of bustiers, miniskirts and leggings. The close fitting stretchy knit separates for women are so popular that the I. Magnin Palm Desert store is adding a full-scale Lamy boutique.

"Because her things are easy fitting and unconstructed, they fit a multitude of figures and figure problems," said Carolyn Biggs, the store's manager. With economical price tags starting at $65 the sales associates have found it easy to sell five or six pieces to each Lamy customer. "We always sell multiples," Biggs said.

For a while there was a Lamy men's wear line, but that was short-lived. The Star Trek look of the clothes, with their stretchy leggings, body-hugging jackets and the like, were futuristic by any standards--perhaps too much so for most men. While the line came and went in just one year's time, there is speculation among Lamy's staff that it will resurface next year. Customers still call the designer at her factory, asking for more."---LA Times, May 16 1990.

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
While we're on the topic of RO, I was just wondering about the Dickdunk. Why's that thing so special? It's just a Nike Vandal with an extended rise and tounge, and a different sole. It's also not Nike. Which I suppose makes it better in the first place...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another brand that people drool over and that I cannot understand is APC. the stuff isn't horrible, but the pricing is ridiculous for what it is. I saw an interesting wool car coat and it was $600. absurd for what you get.

More valuable insight from Teger
teacha.gif
Next up--Teger tells us that "Common Projects are pretty cool, I guess, but so expensive!" followed by "Repro jeans get the details right but the cuts aren't always flattering."

I shouldn't hate, though; confidently stating the obvious, with blind disregard for the possibility that someone else might have done so before, is a handy skill in lit class.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the constant talk of how over expensive clothes are over here.

It seems that people here want the illest patterns in crazy awesome fabric, tight construction on a shoestring budget. And then people go buy J Crew anyway.

Do people know how much good fabric costs, how construction you can't even see adds up and how pattern drafting for RTW is insanely hard?

I honestly envy MC sometimes when they flat out say 5k USD for bespoke suiting is fine, or 1.2 for shoes is perfectly acceptable.

My last quibble is why people who fit RTW like **** are always looking out for 'that perfect pattern' and griping when they can't find it - just do MTM and ask for Thomas Mason, sort out a pattern and get as many as you want.

Lastly - people shouldn't hate on RO trainers while masturbating over peanut suede chukka boat shoes and shin high leather and wool crepe soled duck hunting boots. I mean FFS, they are both as bad as each other.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rick high tops are the most comfortable shoes ever. only reason i still wear mine.

Originally Posted by tagutcow
I think RO high tops look marsupialed. I think drop crotches look marsupialed. Call me a philistine rube, but I don't understand why people are shelling out $$$ to look like ill-conceived sports mascots.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this. he has no big concept and that is okay.

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Actually dude he just is doing what Michelle Lamy was doing in the late 80s/early 90s with her own line.

"Her fashion designs have bankrolled her diversification. Each season her collections combine old favorites with new shapes. Among the recurring themes are her most popular knitwear garments: fly-away vests, tunic tops (both short and long) and leggings. The silhouettes of her jackets change from season to season.

For the coming fall she draped web-like constructions of knitted fabric around the shoulders and waists of her models who wore a basic under-layer of bustiers, miniskirts and leggings. The close fitting stretchy knit separates for women are so popular that the I. Magnin Palm Desert store is adding a full-scale Lamy boutique.

"Because her things are easy fitting and unconstructed, they fit a multitude of figures and figure problems," said Carolyn Biggs, the store's manager. With economical price tags starting at $65 the sales associates have found it easy to sell five or six pieces to each Lamy customer. "We always sell multiples," Biggs said.

For a while there was a Lamy men's wear line, but that was short-lived. The Star Trek look of the clothes, with their stretchy leggings, body-hugging jackets and the like, were futuristic by any standards--perhaps too much so for most men. While the line came and went in just one year's time, there is speculation among Lamy's staff that it will resurface next year. Customers still call the designer at her factory, asking for more."---LA Times, May 16 1990.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
rick high tops are the most comfortable shoes ever. only reason i still wear mine.

they luk gud too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads