• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 3 Discussion

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i don't care what they say, london fog is a good name

'i'm gonna cut his dick off and boil it in hog fat.................. the lord brought you a son, his name is dick'

micbain

Reaction score
I like how Pete & Ken had completely opposite reactions to the new joint position.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. PEte is a fantastic character. Almost more interesting than Don.

2. Pete's wife turns me on more than Betty does. Is there something wrong with me?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
1. pete isn't interesting imo, you know where he came from, and you know where he is going. the foreshadowing in the series debut is clear as daylight... 'if you don't.... you're going to end up alone in the corner office...' Don, don is a mystery. you only know a little bit about his past, which makes his future, and present interesting. pete is just a whiny little ***** written into the script to give it conflict.

2.nah, she totally had this audrey hepburn thing going on tonite

audrey> prego as far as attractive ladies are concerned imo.

Albern

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but was this the first time we see Don typing on a typewriter? It was both strange and charming to see him do that.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
don typed... for real, when?
I take it you saw the episode but didn't catch the scene. It was at the very end when Don returned to his office. You see him at the typewriter as Roger enters the room commenting on how Don's secretary was away from the desk. Pete and Bertram follow soon after.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
yeah, when he walked in with the stoli and cigars?

Albern

Reaction score
yeah, when he walked in with the stoli and cigars?

Exactly. Just a hand full of keystrokes though.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i must have still been recovering from the pre-fire, 'sparks' being had by senor romano.

Albern

Reaction score
Yeah that scene in the hotel was a bit nuts (pardon the pun). I was a bit surprised how much detail they were getting into for that scene; way more than what we're used to seeing in the hetero scenes on the show.

In any case it was nice to see interactions between characters we don't normally see together in all but a fleeting fancy, eg. Don and Salvatore, Peggy and Joan, Pet and Ken, etc... rather than seeing the usual office cliques.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. pete isn't interesting imo, you know where he came from, and you know where he is going. the foreshadowing in the series debut is clear as daylight... 'if you don't.... you're going to end up alone in the corner office...' Don, don is a mystery. you only know a little bit about his past, which makes his future, and present interesting. pete is just a whiny little ***** written into the script to give it conflict.

I used to not like Pete's wife all that much, but in this episode she was so clearly revealed as the better person it was stunning. Pete seems to be not merely a man who is petty at times but a petty man through and through.

Originally Posted by Albern
Yeah that scene in the hotel was a bit nuts (pardon the pun). I was a bit surprised how much detail they were getting into for that scene; way more than what we're used to seeing in the hetero scenes on the show.

Yeah, I think they were being intentionally in-your-face about it. They drew a moral equivalency between Don's hookup and Salvatore's but made Don's clinical and questioning where Salvatore's was heated and passionate. To be honest, both were somewhat disturbing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
I got a jolt from the painting in Cooper's office of the infamous Hokusai print.

that was cool, also a nice to see a very famous print by Yoshitoshi on the other wall (the fellow walking and playing shakuhachi)...it's those little details that really flesh this show out

good start to the season, I like the end where Don didnt get into what he saw Salvatore doing. Sal was sweating bullets before Don actually asked him the question ha!!

The stewardess was hot.

Pete's wife is hot too

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Yeah, I think they were being intentionally in-your-face about it. They drew a moral equivalency between Don's hookup and Salvatore's but made Don's clinical and questioning where Salvatore's was heated and passionate. To be honest, both were somewhat disturbing.

Good take. I thought it was hilarious that a fire (flames!) stopped the fun.

The Don/Sal story was a good one. They are sitting on the plane, and Don gives Sal his disapproval of a sexually suggestive ad of the guy holding a big bottle of liquor walking next to a woman. The hotel room incident plays out. On the plane ride home, Sal is fidgeting in his seat. Don turns to Sal and asks him to be completely honest with him. Don then pitches a suggestive ad for London Fog with the punch line "limit your exposure." A funny line for the ad, but also a warning shot to Sal. That scene also shows how ruthless Don is as an Ad Man. His client wants more sales, and nothing sells like sex. He'll cast aside any moral misgivings for the job.

I like the British takeover of SC so far. Could be a good story line. I'm waiting for the Brits to sport some 60s era Savile Row looks.

Some good, deft writing tonight, but I'm still waiting to see if the sum is greater than the parts this season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads