• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I was picking up a little rb here and there when it first came out and I've never tried one button up that was cut properly.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Also Whodini, the difference is people say that Band and J Crew are the same because they mine from the same influences (classic American Prep), and Magician and I are saying that the only good NiCo pieces are almost direct copies of pieces from other brands. We get it, you know the designers or some **** and like the brand, but I'm so tired of being told "I don't understand it" because I don't like it. Trust me, it's not that hard to get.
Jesus Christ, you're an abrasive dick. If that's what you think then no, you don't get it. You never will.

It has nothing to do with whether or not I know them (I don't.) I've also never said that the brand is bulletproof and that I'd buy every piece from every single season. Still, there are a good number of pieces that are simply fantastic that few companies do that are worth my $$$. The jacket I got this past FW was the **** in terms of fit and details and was what, $3-something? That's EG territory and hardly overpriced for what it is.

I also think your idea of "good pieces" might vary from mine. The shirts and jackets I saw for FW09 were things I'd been wanting in my closet but had never found; I get the feeling I won't be alone in thinking that once it all starts hitting stores.

Again, you think the brand blows? Fine. The hot air coming out of your ass won't stop me or others familiar with nico from shopping.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
^Have you not considered moving?
i have, my wifes job makes a move hard if not impossible as it is the better of our two incomes.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
see? you can't just accept that someone doesn't like NiCo. you have to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about with my complaints, and if I did, then I clearly would never dislike the brand. also F/W is in many stores, and I've seen it and I feel no differently. what bothers me though is that people are too busy talking up nico and are missing other, better brands. another brand that people drool over and that I cannot understand is APC. the stuff isn't horrible, but the pricing is ridiculous for what it is. I saw an interesting wool car coat and it was $600. absurd for what you get.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing original about Rick really. He makes oversized basketball sneakers and shorts, and classic leather designs in a slim fit.

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling me but come on man.....He has contributed a vast amount to contemporary design.

Rick Owens appropriates ideas from sculpture and architecture in to his works and takes elements of classsic couture and fashion design such as severe shape and layerered, elegant draping and translates them in to every day wearable stuff. Nearly every item he has produced is meant to be worn day to day which was a real break with the avant garde. Throw in a winking nod to sub culture (like the sneakers and shorts) and you have a small but important element of wit and irreverence that helps round it all off.

Rick Owens occupies the spot where Bauhaus, the school of architecture and Bauhaus the proto-goth band meet.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
^ that is literally the worst post I have ever read by you and I would cock slap you IRL if you were here.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that is literally the worst post I have ever read by you and I would cock slap you IRL if you were here.

Don't you have to go out shopping for things that look like they came from Bannana Republic but cost ten times as much?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
see? you can't just accept that someone doesn't like NiCo. you have to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about with my complaints, and if I did, then I clearly would never dislike the brand. also F/W is in many stores, and I've seen it and I feel no differently
Where did I say that I couldn't accept someone that didn't like nico? Where am I implying that? I said your favorites might different from mine in the sense of something not fitting or being ripped off someone else.

You're free to complain as much as you want. The only thing I implied was that people who like the brand are going to continue to enjoy them regardless of your complaints.

But your implication that I'm somehow best friends with the guys and that's the only reason why I like them is some serious bullshit.

I still haven't seen any of my favorite pieces in any online store carrying FW, which is surprising considering there are a good number of them yet there's a huge collection, but then again you'd probably just keep to arrogant persona even if you did see them. At this point everyone assumes that you think nico can only do wrong.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
20x

also rick owns is a niche fashion designer in a niche industry. he is not at the forefront of a revolution in clothing let alone a revolution in contemporary design. yes he is good at what he does, but what he does has nowhere the importance that you give it.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I would also buy rick owens sneakers if I was rich

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it doesn't matter...have a drink and calm the **** down! i will always be a fan of wear what you like and what works for you...

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was being a little hyperbolic but such is art.

The importance of contemporary high end fashion is very debatable but whatever the importance of that world is, Rick Owens is a pretty big deal within it.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think RO high tops look marsupialed. I think drop crotches look marsupialed. Call me a philistine rube, but I don't understand why people are shelling out $$$ to look like ill-conceived sports mascots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads