• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the Twin Cities is no NYC or LA, but I wonder if they even have a Saks or neiman Marcus.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Yup. I archive the good, bad, ugly, and just plain wrong. I figure that if you bat .5, you are a legend. If you bat 0.3, you are still pretty good. If you bat anything over 0.6, you are probably the boring guy in the accounting department.

FWIW, my first pair of 'expensive' jeans was a pair of 7FAM with a gaudy back pocket.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
FWIW, my first pair of 'expensive' jeans was a pair of 7FAM with a gaudy back pocket.
Thank god I discovered SF before I started buying expensive clothes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When was this? I have one of the first production pairs of 7FAM (FW2001?). The first few seasons were cut much slimmer and with a much lower rise than what is available now. The only available cut was the Bootcut, and the first wash was the NY Dark. Seven and Earl were the real pioneers that started the whole premium denim thing out of LA, and that hit that sweet spot between more expensive mall brands (like Lucky) and designer (like Helmut Lang, which was, frankly, beyond the reach of most.) Freakin' genius.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Thank god I discovered SF before I started buying expensive clothes.

I think I wasted around a thousand buying **** that didnt fit me before SF. I pretty much purchased a new wardrobe in the past month.

Going slow though, nothing but basics and tailoring fees.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
When was this? I have one of the first production pairs of 7FAM (FW2001?). The first few seasons were cut much slimmer and with a much lower rise than what is available now. The only available cut was the Bootcut, and the first wash was the NY Dark. Seven and Earl were the real pioneers that started the whole premium denim thing out of LA, and that hit that sweet spot between more expensive mall brands (like Lucky) and designer (like Helmut Lang, which was, frankly, beyond the reach of most.) Freakin' genius.

like 2005

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think my distaste stems from two things: actually being a varsity high school baseball player recently, and passing on a varsity jacket (like most of my team) because it was expensive (oh how things have changed...) and dorky, leading me to find this whole 'not in high school yet trying to capture that ideal' bizarre, and the fact that I think in 6 months it'll be the new Urban Outfitters in look, and we'll get to see 500 variations wandering around Georgetown.

And dude, considering the fact that nobody bought Nice Collective at retail for basically the entire time I work at Farinelli's, and every sales person I've talked to in any store that carries it has concurred that it has horrible sale numbers, I obviously am not alone in my dislike. It's one of those brands that people rave about when they see the look book, but never actually buy because it fit weirds, is terribly over designed, and, at its best, cribs from far better brands. I can hear a hundred people (and have heard that many on this board) talk about how each season is so amazing and it will make me a believer, but three months later it's at 75% at Barney's co-op and I'm still not buying it. If you like Nice Collective go to the Georgetown Co-Op, because there's about 30 pieces in full size run sitting on their discount racks. I get the military aesthetic with a grunge edge, I really do, but I'd rather try to hunt down Cloak on ebay then pay more $10 for any NiCo piece.

I don't want to turn this thread into me ranting about NiCo, but until I actually see people purchasing or wearing the clothing, then I don't care how many people admire it from afar, because praise is empty unless you follow it up with your wallet.

Honestly, this leads me to another random fashion thought: I think that there are maybe 10 brands on here that everyone always praises, yet nobody ever buys. If you compare threads like Recent Purchases and F/W Arrival/Reviews, you see a huge disconnect: for as much talk exists about something like .. WWM or NDG, very few people actually come through with a purchase, instead relying on safe fallbacks. I'm sure price point is one thing, but is not the whole picture.

I'm definitely guilty of the same thing, but I'm trying to change it.

I've heard more than one person say that about NiCo.

It's still a brand I want to try.

I do think that not enough people actually buy stuff here. I'm buying NdG and Krane pieces ATM, and can't understand why more people aren't actually buying into them, and buying J Crew instead.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree strongly with your last point there Razele. Though admittedly J. Crew continues to step up their game each season (the new men's store in Soho is pretty cool, SA Noah is a very nice guy who has worked at Steven Alan, Odin etc knows his **** about fashion) and they have learned quickly to appeal to various interests groups over the past couple of years. Nevertheless I will try my hardest not to pick up anything from them in the coming fall/winter months.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been going that same way recently also. These days I'd rather splurge on one unique item rather than cop a few random J. Crew basics. Unless something really pops out at me from them, I'll try to abstain.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben is completely on point about NiCo. I have first hand experience with this.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
I've heard more than one person say that about NiCo.

It's still a brand I want to try.

+1. A disproportionate amount of time when i really like a piece in WAYWT i'll see that it's NiCo.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm debating going the kodiak route (is that waif still around?) when it comes to buying clothes, quality over quantity. But I am young and I might grow out of alot of the stuff. I don't think many pieces are worth a large investment at this point.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Gareth Pugh Homme is so bad that Barneys won't put it on the floor and is considering RTV'ing it.

I would actually get a piece or two.

Originally Posted by RCG Tiburon
+1. A disproportionate amount of time when i really like a piece in WAYWT i'll see that it's NiCo.

This says a lot more about our WAYWT thread than NiCo. Show me a piece from Nico and I'll show you a better one at the same pricepoint. S2A or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads