• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

somet denim..

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of the 003s, and am impressed with everything about them. A nice slightly tapered fit similar to the APC New Standards, dense, smooth-handed denim. The low rise isnt intimidating, nor is the cut. The detailing, stitching color, denim character, and gold rivets all oooze subtlety and amazing attention to detail. Button fly has a 2-ply thickness on both inner and outer flaps, but doesn't affect the profile or drape.

I would put these up there with KMW for incredible quality and duration of fade and break-in time. Definitely jeans you'll have for years.

"Straight fit" is a bit of a misnomer, since they DO have a taper (but nothing extreme like most 'skinny' jeans). I'd characterize them as 'slim straight'. The kneee and thigh allow for a close, comfortable fit which will defintely develop great whiskering and stacking.

I sized down 1 on one pair and 2 on the other. I love the fit of both. Do not expect much stretch, or much very soon, so if they are extremely tight when trying on, take this into account.

Context, as always, is great about exchanges, and they keep a pretty deep stock. Their sizing chart is pretty accurate, I think, and I always use it as a benchmark for other denim sizing.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=729

I'll try to post fit pictures later...

Johnny5

Reaction score
my 008 stretch alot.... in a short amount of time too.

onlinematt

Reaction score
I've had a pair of the 003's for about 8 months now. Apart from being the best pair of jawns I've ever owned, I still have two gripes: they're ridiculously stiff (they haven't softened up since the day I bought them), and they're way too hot for summer (anything above 80 degrees and you'll be sweating in them).

Thinking of copping a pair of the 012 white straight fits. Anyone have them? I'd love to see fit / wear pics...

slaani

Reaction score
Still ridiculously stiff? My 008s cut me at the knee when I first got them, and now they've softened quite a bit. Definitely nothing like when they were new. 8 months also, two washes, daily wear.

If you haven't washed them, I suggest you do -- should fix your problem.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized down 2 on my 003s after a lot of research and I'm glad I did. The rise is really low so I don't really wear them when I tuck in my shirt. I'm a 32 or 33 in most jeans and I am a 31 in Somets.

nonissue

Reaction score
These look awesome (from BiG):
somet_043_fly.jpg

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ya i agree

i wish i had the xtra cash to buy another pair of denim right now

nonissue

Reaction score
I've been working out and have big legs/thighs, I'm a 31 in an apc rescue, would it be ridiculous to buy a pair of somet 003's? Thinking about going true to size and just getting the waist taken in or wearing a belt. Possibility?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
I've been working out and have big legs/thighs, I'm a 31 in an apc rescue, would it be ridiculous to buy a pair of somet 003's? Thinking about going true to size and just getting the waist taken in or wearing a belt. Possibility?
I bodybuild and have big legs and thighs (kinda) and have had both APC Rescues and Somet 003's. You should be fine in the thighs if you go true to size. I didn't like the 003's at all. The denim is really nice but they are so low rise and they are far from straight legs as they call it. It is a really skinny jean and reminds me of the pbj 005/007 cut with roomier thighs. I just couldn't deal with the low rise. If you like the Rescue fit there are some other brands out there that make similar styles with much nicer denim. If you do go with the Somet's though you could probably do a 31 in them too. I'd probably go with a 32 though but that's just me, depends on how those Rescues fit you.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onlinematt
I've had a pair of the 003's for about 8 months now. Apart from being the best pair of jawns I've ever owned, I still have two gripes: they're ridiculously stiff (they haven't softened up since the day I bought them), and they're way too hot for summer (anything above 80 degrees and you'll be sweating in them).

Thinking of copping a pair of the 012 white straight fits. Anyone have them? I'd love to see fit / wear pics...

No joke on the summer issue, brother. Mine are fall/winter only. Shame, but I can't wait to get them on again.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I bodybuild and have big legs and thighs (kinda) and have had both APC Rescues and Somet 003's. You should be fine in the thighs if you go true to size. I didn't like the 003's at all. The denim is really nice but they are so low rise and they are far from straight legs as they call it. It is a really skinny jean and reminds me of the pbj 005/007 cut with roomier thighs. I just couldn't deal with the low rise. If you like the Rescue fit there are some other brands out there that make similar styles with much nicer denim.

If you do go with the Somet's though you could probably do a 31 in them too. I'd probably go with a 32 though but that's just me, depends on how those Rescues fit you.

Thanks for the reply man. My apc's are actually a little big after stretching, I could have probably gone with a 30. I have weird legs, and my thighs + quads are huge, my leg narrow at the knee and then I have moderate sized calves, so a jean with a big thigh and then a taper may suit my legs well. Wish there was somewhere I could try them on, as shipping to canada + returning if I don't like the fit gets expensive.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the legs as long as you don't mind a low rise. You should be cool with 31's in the Somet's then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads