• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit tuxedo -- any suggestions?

GameEnder

Reaction score
Droogie,

Im in the market for a slim-fit, peak-lapel, wedding tux and came across your thread. The Hugo Boss tux from Macy's is in my price range and looks to be pretty close to the ideal for me. However, they're out of my size (42L) on the website.

It would help me out a lot if you could answer a couple questions:

-Where did you try it on? I've called up >5 Macy's stores (both in the LA and Chicago areas) and none of them carry this. Most claim that there are different models available on the website, than in the store.

-I noticed that you listed 40R as your normal size, but you tried on a few 38R, including the Boss tux. Does it fit larger than normal in the shoulders? I'm considering ordering a smaller size, if this is the case, considering Macy's generous return policy.

Thanks!

East Oakland

Reaction score
I think TAT is doing formal wear now:

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/lookbook.html

"Every so often I actually listen to what my clients want, well I ALWAYS listen, but don't necessarily do anything about it (!) Having gotten quite a few requests for a formal tuxedo, I decided to give it a go since my house cut one button suit wasn't too far removed from a tuxedo style. So here is the first offering of a 2 piece tux (no cummerbund, but does anyone even wear one anymore?) Black peak lapel, one button design. Jacket is unvented, all buttons are satin covered, single button on jacket sleeve, satin lapels and trim on jacket, satin stripe down trouser leg. Trouser has no rear pockets and 2 button'd side tabs rather than belt loops. So next time you need to go to a black tie event, show up in style."

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GameEnder
Droogie, Im in the market for a slim-fit, peak-lapel, wedding tux and came across your thread. The Hugo Boss tux from Macy's is in my price range and looks to be pretty close to the ideal for me. However, they're out of my size (42L) on the website. It would help me out a lot if you could answer a couple questions: -Where did you try it on? I've called up >5 Macy's stores (both in the LA and Chicago areas) and none of them carry this. Most claim that there are different models available on the website, than in the store. -I noticed that you listed 40R as your normal size, but you tried on a few 38R, including the Boss tux. Does it fit larger than normal in the shoulders? I'm considering ordering a smaller size, if this is the case, considering Macy's generous return policy. Thanks!
I tried it on at the Hugo Boss store, so if you have one in the area that's where you should go. Some department stores like Bloomingdale's and Saks carry them as well. As for chest size, Boss is trimmer than some brands but isn't super slim. From my earlier post, you can see that I wear a 40R in RLBL and Paul Smith (known for slim fits), but a 38R in Boss. If you're a 42L in a "normal" suit, you could probably do the Boss "40L" for the slim fit you're looking for. Hope this helps.

kaeris

Reaction score
Hi Droog,

In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that you tried on a Paul Smith tux and liked the slim fit. May I ask where you tried it on?

I happen to wear the same size as you and would like to check it out as I'm in the market for a nice, slim fit tux. When I was in Neiman Marcus last, I saw that they carried a Paul Smith peak lapel/one button tux on their inventory sheet for $1295 (although not in stock at the store at the time). Perhaps this is the same one?

Thanks,
K

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Well, I'm not an expert either, but I'm quite sure you're absolutely wrong. Peak lapels or shawl collar are the only two choices you have when it comes to dinner jacket lapel style, and I think that a peak lapel with a slim cut looks great.
Actually, you're absolutely wrong. Funny how these things work, huh?
smile.gif
Most people who advocate peak or shawl lapels point to 'tradition' as the primary reason for the 'correctness' of these lapel choices for DJs. The truth is, notch-lapel DJs have been around for a long time - there are illustrations and tailoring manuals with images of them from around the turn of last century. At the end of the day, it's all about the prevailing idiosyncrasies, the 'authorities' who utter them, and the sheeple who follow.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ + lots... I'm just re-reading James Lincoln Colliers- The making of Jazz.

Most of the photos of black tie attired bands from the turn of the last century onwards are notch lapel. The myth and the reality don't always match...
eh.gif

Go with what you think looks best, rather than some pseudo- hierarchical bullshit/dogma/ideology/groupthink.
devil.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think it worth trying Paul Stuart on before buying any of the others, me i'd buy Polo, but it fits me very well.

BB isnt too far off if just having the waist taken in is all there is too it.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a RLBL tux for a wedding that just passed recently and I did receive a number of compliments on it and from a respected tailor in W Hartford she said it was one of the nicest tux she's seen and the fabric was great.

It's slimmer than your average tux although I had it slimmed a bit more by the tailor in the sides because I had to go up a size due to my shoulders and chest. If you can live with the notch lapels then it's a winner.

Most of the people at this wedding, which had a very wealthy guest list, were dressed pretty poorly IMO. I saw some strange colored vests, awful fitting tux, cheap rubber soled shoes, and a guy even showed up to the black tie event with a bright blue shirt and colored tie w/ no jacket...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I purchased a RLBL tux for a wedding that just passed recently and I did receive a number of compliments on it and from a respected tailor in W Hartford she said it was one of the nicest tux she's seen and the fabric was great.

It's slimmer than your average tux although I had it slimmed a bit more by the tailor in the sides because I had to go up a size due to my shoulders and chest. If you can live with the notch lapels then it's a winner.

Most of the people at this wedding, which had a very wealthy guest list, were dressed pretty poorly IMO. I saw some strange colored vests, awful fitting tux, cheap rubber soled shoes, and a guy even showed up to the black tie event with a bright blue shirt and colored tie w/ no jacket...

Thats pretty surprising for CT, though maybe Lilly Politzer doesn't make a tux, leaving the CTer's stranded.

nigel12

Reaction score
I just started looking for slim-fitting tuxedos in NYC. Paul Stuart's Phineas Cole now has a midnight blue available for $1884.

I also visited Rothmans, Bergdorf, Saks, Zegna, and Paul Smith so far as well. Rothman's offers mostly notch lapel, 2 button, relatively boxy cuts. I'm looking for peak, one-button so I don't look like I'm wearing a suit. Bergdorf had Tom Ford which I tried just because it was there - amazing but out of my price range.

Paul Smith has three distinctive styles (velvet trimming, deep navy blue, etc., from $1770 up to $2500.

Although fit is my primary concern, a few details that set you apart from five other guys wearing tuxedos would be nice. I didn't see much of that beyond the labels I called out above.

Also, got a pair of Gucci patent leather shoes for just under $200 at DSW. Came across them by accident.

Interested if anyone purchased a slim fit MTM/independent tailor tuxedo from sources such as Mr. Ned, Sanford Bryant, Steven Aver, etc. I've read through all the forum postings on this, but most aren't really that definitive. Any positive recommendations or warnings?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried on several tuxedos during the last couple of weeks. Aside from the RLBL peak lapel, flat front, which is my favorite, there is a RL blue label that is near identical in styling, with lower quality fabrics (but still very nice) but also what I would consider a slimmer fit. It was less than half the cost of the RLBL, and were this tux not for my wedding, I probably would have gotten the blue label. One major difference between these two tuedos, aside from the fabric quality, is that the RLBL comes with regular horn buttons dyed black, whereas the blue label comes with satin covered buttons. Oh, also the blue label uses grosgrain if I remember correctly.

I found the BB tuxedos to be nice too, particularly the golden fleece, one button, peak lapel. Very nicely made, and I think roughly the same price as the RLBL. The fit was not as slim fitting however. Nor was the 1818 I tried on. HOpe this helps.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hello,

not sure if its good practice to revise an old thread, but thought its better than reposing a new thread.

anyways, do people have any tips for slim fit (basically dont want it to fit baggy as i'm around 5'7 145ish pounds)..

some great research in beginning of post, but how about in 2010? i'm in the market for a tux

costume national?
dior homme?
lanvin?
RLBL mentioned above

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads