• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I want to grow my hair out...

moby

Reaction score
Hey, Styleforums. I would like to grow out my hair, and I was thinking of slicking it back/putting it behind my head. I might let it grow to my neck. Think the type of hairstyle european soccer players have, where they sometimes put an elastic band in.

I'm asian, and I have straight, dense and thick hair. I currently have a messy hairstyle that I'm not happy with. Does anyone have any advice on growing out your hair?

Sorry for the bad explanation, I'm kind of tired.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arcanaville
no

+1
laugh.gif

nakokoro

Reaction score
you probably want to get it thinned out (w/ thinning shears) every so often.

moby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nakokoro
you probably want to get it thinned out (w/ thinning shears) every so often.

If I do grow my hair out, I'll get it trimmed every so often.

Does anyone else have useful advice?

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
I'm trying to grow mine out as well, heading for a different style (more like this). You have to commit though, it's hard during the middle phases to just give up and go get a haircut. If that starts to bother you just get more frequent trims. The thinning shears is probably a good idea. I don't think there's really much more to do, just be patient.

Kris

Reaction score
A thread like this is naked without the word "So" at the beginning of the title.

"So I want to grow my hair out"

Sherlockian

Reaction score
People aren't taking you seriously enough because you have Moby as your avatar. His tonsure would look great on you.

moby

Reaction score
I was thinking of styling the hair differently as it grew longer, and who knows, I might end up with something I like. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Originally Posted by Sherlockian
People aren't taking you seriously enough because you have Moby as your avatar. His tonsure would look great on you.

but...I'm not actually moby...
butbut.gif

Originally Posted by Kris
A thread like this is naked without the word "So" at the beginning of the title.

"So I want to grow my hair out"

fixed.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
"˜All I know is all I feel right now, I feel the power growing in my hair' - Cat Stevens

That's all.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
thinning your hair is the wrong path IMO, if you want to maximize the long look. You'll just end up with a mix of long and short hairs and not correct the main Asian guy hair downfall, which is texture/fall.

My advice: bear the awkward period of growing it past your nose or so, which takes about a year depending on where you start from, keep it trimmed and play with it (pomps are about your only option at nose length or more) and then you have to bear the 2nd awkward stage, from below the nose to blow the lower lip or near the chin, which takes a few more months. Once there, you caan elect to get a Korean magic perm and your hair will lay incredibly straight and smoothly, it turns into beautiful women's hair. They last for about 3 months and then you probably need a re-do on the perm. They're not cheap by the way, I pay something like $300 a pop in Korea, land of the magic perm. Anyhow, having really long Asian hair is pretty awkward for a long time during the growing process, requires a lot of money and care (I also use a $500 shampoo, conditioner, and treatment combo in the shower) and then you gotta keep pruning it back once in awhile to get to fresh ends. Then again, you won't be spending money on weekly haircuts like some guys have to get, styling products aren't necessary, etc.

Sincerely,

Guy with the exact hairstyle you want

hws

Reaction score
Keeping long hair is not difficult. It is not more difficult than keeping short hair. All you need to do is maintain the edges. Go in for a periodic trim to clean the nape, sides around the ears etc.

moby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
thinning your hair is the wrong path IMO, if you want to maximize the long look. You'll just end up with a mix of long and short hairs and not correct the main Asian guy hair downfall, which is texture/fall.

My advice: bear the awkward period of growing it past your nose or so, which takes about a year depending on where you start from, keep it trimmed and play with it (pomps are about your only option at nose length or more) and then you have to bear the 2nd awkward stage, from below the nose to blow the lower lip or near the chin, which takes a few more months. Once there, you caan elect to get a Korean magic perm and your hair will lay incredibly straight and smoothly, it turns into beautiful women's hair. They last for about 3 months and then you probably need a re-do on the perm. They're not cheap by the way, I pay something like $300 a pop in Korea, land of the magic perm. Anyhow, having really long Asian hair is pretty awkward for a long time during the growing process, requires a lot of money and care (I also use a $500 shampoo, conditioner, and treatment combo in the shower) and then you gotta keep pruning it back once in awhile to get to fresh ends. Then again, you won't be spending money on weekly haircuts like some guys have to get, styling products aren't necessary, etc.

Sincerely,

Guy with the exact hairstyle you want

damn, I didn't know it would take that much work... do I have to get a perm?

I'll probably just grow it out a bit until the end of summer, get a cut and I'll see what happens then. thanks for the info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads