• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooking for yourself...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, my wife is out of town for a week, and whenever she is, I feel stuck trying to make dinners for myself. It isn't like I don't cook, I do most of the cooking for the two of us, but when I am alone, there is just no motivation at all. What do you guys do? Any suggestions for dinners for one?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, my wife is out of town for a week, and whenever she is, I feel stuck trying to make dinners for myself. It isn't like I don't cook, I do most of the cooking for the two of us, but when I am alone, there is just no motivation at all. What do you guys do? Any suggestions for dinners for one?

Breakfast for dinner, is always a good choice when alone, as it's so easy to portion.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Breakfast for dinner, is always a good choice when alone, as it's so easy to portion.
+1 I eat eggs all the time...
frown.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When cooking for one, for me it's a matter of speed and easy cleanup. Alton Brown's steak recipe here works great for this purpose. The steak is done in less than five minutes. Roasted herbed potatoes round out the meal.

Another fast, easy idea: Make a large crepe and fill with goat cheese and a liberal amount of hyssop. Drizzle with good olive oil and fold closed, heating through. Delicious and remarkably filling. Can add some leftover chicken if you have it and feel like it.

Pan-seared pork tenderloin is quick and, to keep it simple, I like to eat it with steamed rice and soy sauce. Sort of like a healthier version of fried rice. Tasty with soft, fresh rolls.

The breakfast idea is good, too. If you're feeling indulgent, I like Ian Fleming's scrambled eggs as an unhealthy treat. Sounds gimmicky but tastes good, in a very buttery sort of way.

For multiple meals, I like a fresh corn/black bean salad with some lime and chicken. Nice in that it can become a side if necessary.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
...when I am alone, there is just no motivation at all. Any suggestions for dinners for one?
I have the same problem
frown.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I make comfort food I love but that she refuses to eat. That translates loosely to ramen, with all the trimmings - a boiled egg, some thinly sliced beef or pork, lots of sambal oelek, nice stock, scallions.... mmmmmm. Dinner in a big-ass bowl that feels like I've lined my stomach in lead.

Cooking for one is brutal. It's impossible to make a small portion and you end up going back til you've eaten a full 2-3 portions.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Funny you mention this: Mrs. Thomas is returning home this evening from a trip. I've done the omelette and leftovers idea, but what I'm more apt to do is make the dishes I've never made before, or experiment with other dishes, knowing that there will be leftovers.

For instance, I stewed up some leftover veggies with some leftover beef and did up a rum raisin rice pudding, just to see how it would turn out.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tonight I made chicken kebabs with lemon and a yogurt sauce. Tomorrow I will go manly, and make hot dogs.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always find myself making a steak when I'm only cooking for myself...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
I always find myself making a steak when I'm only cooking for myself...

A steak and a bottle of wine is the ultimate single man's dinner.

BAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

often followed by some single-malt whisky for the dessert

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

Works great on those lonely nights with just you and Grey's Anatomy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads