• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Permanent Style Vs A Suitable Wardrobe?

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
This thread seems like excellent guerrilla marketing for PS.

I was just thinking that reading the last page before I kicked over to this one

To the OP, both blogs feed my Google reader and both are among my short list of favorites.

Here are some of the differences I've observed between them:
  • ASW is more "mature". PS is more youthful, yet still classically focused
  • ASW is for more often for the more advanced dresser, someone who's already learned a lot about classic style. While no elementary primer, PS has more for the beginner. Part of this difference comes perhaps from Will's and Simon's respective ages and years of devotion to classic menswear. Will's mealy a contemporary of the Duke of Windsor with decades of experience.
    devil.gif
    Simon, I think, is approaching middle age, but has some years to go before he arrives. H became devoted at this level to classic style relatively recently. His memories of his beginnings are still fresh and I think this is one of the reasons why PS has more beginner appeal.
  • ASW's author is American and PS's author is British. They cover the sartorial world from two different perspectives. I like seeing both.
  • ASW is more focused on bespoke while PS provides more on RTW and MTM. Again, making ASW more inclined to the advanced and experienced dresser and PS a richer resource for beginners.
  • ASW's entries are shorter with fewer illustrations. PS goes into more verbal and graphic depth

I regularly read both and keenly anticipate the next post on each.

jon5986

Reaction score
Well said!

Originally Posted by Francisco D'Anconia
I was just thinking that reading the last page before I kicked over to this one

To the OP, both blogs feed my Google reader and both are among my short list of favorites.

Here are some of the differences I've observed between them:
  • ASW is more "mature". PS is more youthful, yet still classically focused
  • ASW is for more often for the more advanced dresser, someone who's already learned a lot about classic style. While no elementary primer, PS has more for the beginner. Part of this difference comes perhaps from Will's and Simon's respective ages and years of devotion to classic menswear. Will's mealy a contemporary of the Duke of Windsor with decades of experience.
    devil.gif
    Simon, I think, is approaching middle age, but has some years to go before he arrives. H became devoted at this level to classic style relatively recently. His memories of his beginnings are still fresh and I think this is one of the reasons why PS has more beginner appeal.
  • ASW's author is American and PS's author is British. They cover the sartorial world from two different perspectives. I like seeing both.
  • ASW is more focused on bespoke while PS provides more on RTW and MTM. Again, making ASW more inclined to the advanced and experienced dresser and PS a richer resource for beginners.
  • ASW's entries are shorter with fewer illustrations. PS goes into more verbal and graphic depth

I regularly read both and keenly anticipate the next post on each.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Until your post I was aware only of ASW ... had never heard of PS. I have now bookmarked PS as well.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer Permanent Style because I feel it is more thoughtful and the essays, while not long, are more detailed - for example the recent post about not following AA caricatures exactly and being careful to be individual about your style in some way.
ASW presents a lot of pics with nothing more than extended captions accompanying them. It's like, consider a linen suit for spring - here's a pic. Or look at the collection of grenadine ties above. They are nice with...etc etc.
In this way the blog is static - there is little in the way of exploration in terms of dressing.
The blog does however provide a wonderful platform for product promotion - Foster, Cleverley shoes, which are largely unafordable and so of little relevance to most people, Hong Kong shirtmakers which are of dubious quality but are at least attainable.
I'm sure Will is a good chap and all but I get sick of so many pics of a stout elderly gent wearing (often bespoke which is not cheap) clothes which in my opinion don't show them to their greatest advantage.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
I'm sure Will is a good chap and all but I get sick of so many pics of a stout elderly gent wearing (often bespoke which is not cheap) clothes which in my opinion don't show them to their greatest advantage.

So is it fair to say that you prefer to see the thin, young, and ungentlemanly dressed as inexpensively as possible? Should be easy.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding Will:
I get sick of so many pics of a stout elderly gent wearing (often bespoke which is not cheap) clothes which in my opinion don't show them to their greatest advantage.
Of course, putting the kind of clothing Will features on a younger size 42 model would be unrealistic ... because that's not who is wearing it.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
So is it fair to say that you prefer to see the thin, young, and ungentlemanly dressed as inexpensively as possible? Should be easy.

I'm not going to debate this. That is my opinion, that's all.

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
ASW presents a lot of pics with nothing more than extended captions accompanying them.

^ Didn't someone once say something about pictures and a 1,000 words.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think the point of bespoke is not to show the clothes in their best possible light, but rather the wearer of them.

But what do I know? I dress thrift, not bespoke.

jon5986

Reaction score
I'm not going to debate this. That is my opinion, that's all.

I agree with you. Don't waste your time.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW all the way. I love his writing and tips.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan and regular reader of ASW; I did not know about PS until I read the OP but it seems like a really good site too, but different from ASW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads