• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice before splurging for an IWC Portuguese Auto

ranker

Reaction score
Well, I'm about to make the jump into the midrange market for watches.

I've fallen in love with the IWC Portuguese Auto after yesterday's random impulse visit inside of Tourneau. Before I do something stupid and purchase something that's $6k+, I'd love to get some information on what to look for and perform the necessary due diligence.

I've searched through threads but its hard to get concise information. The only thing that's stuck to my mind is the tidbit about how the current economic climate has devastated the mid range market for time pieces. However, when I brought that up with the sales person at Tourneau they laughed and stated no such thing was occurring.

I guess my next questions are:

1) Can I get a better price than $6k from a reputable dealer?
2) How well do these models hold their value?
3) How much in maintenance costs should I expect?
4) Where would be the best place to purchase this model?

Thanks in advance to all the time piece gurus who can help a neophyte out.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$6K? Is that the price of a Port Auto these days? I've assumed its around 8k, and the Port Chrono is at 6k.

sfo423

Reaction score
regarding value, they are readily available in 90%+ condition for well under $4k on TZ & others.

Nice looking watch.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he was talking about the Port Chrono.
Originally Posted by acidicboy
$6K? Is that the price of a Port Auto these days? I've assumed its around 8k, and the Port Chrono is at 6k.
+1
Originally Posted by sfo423
regarding value, they are readily available in 90%+ condition for well under $4k on TZ & others. Nice looking watch.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tourneau is well known for the hard sell and high prices, not discounts. In this climate, I'd press for 30% off. In the good old days, IWC could be had at 40 off. Find an out of state dealer to save sales tax and keep the negotiations to phone calls. That works to your advantage.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tourneau is best avoided other than to browse and even then the salesdroids are so irritating it's probably not worth it.

Zeetan at Collector's Time has Port Chronos listed for $4890 on his website.
Lots of other places have that price but Zeetan is well known and reliable.
Sure, he's grey market but every watch I've bought from him has been pristine with a stamped warranty card from an authorized dealer.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
I've been eyeing up a Port Auto (5001-07) for a while now. Here in the UK the list price is £7000. Can get 20-25% discount with a bit of effort but still at $6k I'll take every one you can send me
drool.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Tourneau is best avoided other than to browse and even then the salesdroids are so irritating it's probably not worth it.

Sure, he's grey market but every watch I've bought from him has been pristine with a stamped warranty card from an authorized dealer.

+100 on Zeetan.

Back in my crazy collector days he was my go to guy.

Confucius

Reaction score
I believe someone is selling a (rather beautiful) white dial blue hands Porto in our very own B&S forum...

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh

Thanks for suggesting Collector's Time; he has a few pieces I've been wanting to get.

Any other sites similar to that? I've heard Time Zone is good as well but have yet no first hand experience.

sfo423

Reaction score

Look just bought from Zeetan ordered Omega Seamaster 45 .5 mm
Asked Zeetan before placing orde about watch if it new respond was
Watch new never worn in box with all papers OK I paid extra for FEDEX
Service and as Zeeta. Called professional packaging so final price came out
Almost 5k After week waiting I got a package Watch was is NOT
BRAND new box is scratched inside watch basically throwed in the box
With only plastic shield at the case back and buckle no plastic on push pins
No omega plastic sign with that Omega symbol I mean at best watch
Looks like a floor sample so that was my experience with ordering from Zeetan
Collectors Time

Ummm, so your unhappy with your purchase? Did you try to work it out w/seller or are you just want to bash him first?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads