• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Permanent Style Vs A Suitable Wardrobe?

rob

Reaction score
SW. Great help on gaining a perspective on building a funtional, fun wardrobe as opposed to the haphazard collection of garments path I had been on for years.

Rob

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose I prefer ASW, but I enjoy Permanent Style as well. They provide different points of view which I appreciate. One thing Will does better than almost anybody else is post every day at 10AM EDT. I appreciate that (and understand it's not a realistic expectation for most blogs).

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Personally, I prefer ASW.

Now, what else could possibly have been a more perfect first response to this thread.
laugh.gif

I've been a daily reader of ASW since I found out about it, and enjoy it quite a bit. I had to laugh a bit when I realised that Will and I own the same tie (on the far right http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...han-sorry.html ) but the odds of us ending up at the same garden party are pretty slim so I think we're both okay there.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW is for advanced users
PS is for beginners

That is the distinction

ASW is the first thing I check when I go online. Will is a bespoke clothing customer and knowledgeable on RTW and MTO/MTM stuff too.

PS is a good read too...but as you notice, the author is only now personally exploring the bespoke arena.

ASW's author has been burned and has made some good purchases. This insight is invaluable.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
I really enjoy reading ASW and do it on a daily basis since a year or so. Still, sometimes it seems to me that the articles stay too much on the surface, without going deep enough. Surely, this might be in the nature of a blog.

I agree. I wish Will would explore his topics in more depth. Perhaps he should spend less time running his business and more time writing for our amusement.

jon5986

Reaction score
I like both alot. However, Will @ ASW told me that he sells G&G shoes and therefore works for them. So when I see lots of posts about G&G it makes me think it is for a $ reason. I generally like ASW but feel there is a focus on certain brands.

Personally, I would like to see him meet and interview William Lobb (of John Lobb), George Glasgow (of Cleverley) or Edward Green e.t.c.....

I feel that with Permanent Style, he gives everyone a look and talks about his "general" experience rather than trying to sell something.

This is not an attack on Will, because I like ASW. More like constructive criticism.
eh.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon5986
I like both alot. However, Will @ ASW told me that he sells G&G shoes and therefore works for them. So when I see lots of posts about G&G it makes me think it is for a $ reason. I generally like ASW but feel there is a focus on certain brands.

Personally, I would like to see him meet and interview William Lobb (of John Lobb), George Glasgow (of Cleverley) or Edward Green e.t.c.....

I feel that with Permanent Style, he gives everyone a look and talks about his "general" experience rather than trying to sell something.

This is not an attack on Will, because I like ASW. More like constructive criticism.
eh.gif

Lots of posts about G&G because that's what I buy for myself. If you do a search or two you'll see interviews with the other makers.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy reading ASW.

jon5986

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Lots of posts about G&G because that's what I buy for myself. If you do a search or two you'll see interviews with the other makers.

You should consider looking at Anderson & Sheppard, Huntsman, Cleverley, Sean O'Flynn, John Lobb......

I think it would be interesting. All of these companies have introduced either 1) new items 2) new shops / moved 3) new lines......and no mention on your site.....

I have done several searches and they are all out dated. Don't take this as a negative comment, just something to think about in the future.....

I think the answer is we need a Will but based in London
fight[1].gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW is great I have never heard of PS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads