• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the AA sweatshirts are oversized and they awkward and weird. Have never seen one look good.

EDIT: Sorry read that real quick, thought you were talking about American Apparel. Cannot comment on Alternative Apparel sweatshirts though apparently people like them.

eddy98

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Are the arms the only baggy part of the AA sweatshirts? Does it fit slimmer in the body?

Yeah pretty much. The body is pretty slim-fitting but the material is pretty thick. I like Alternative Apparel because it's a lighter material but their colors are pretty bland.

Arcanaville

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between sperry chukkas, the jcrew mcallister boot, or something similar. can anyone make a recommendation?

wheelsx45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arcanaville
I'm trying to decide between sperry chukkas, the jcrew mcallister boot, or something similar. can anyone make a recommendation?

If your going for desert boot style, I think Clark's desert boot are the way to go

wheelsx45

Reaction score

silver5

Reaction score
What's a versatile pair of shoes that could work with most casual wear, and what color would you have them in? I was thinking white sneakers (Jack Purcells, Adidas) but blue marks will get on them from denim and I don't want that showing when I wear shorts. It's not like I would want my sneakers pristine white, but IMO random blue marks wouldn't look good at all.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wheelsx45
If your going for desert boot style, I think Clark's desert boot are the way to go

Agreed although the JCrew Sperry Chuckas look nice, but I haven't seem them in person yet. Stay away from the McCalisters and get the original.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by silver5
Would a grey or black sneaker work too?

I just can't get down with black sneakers, no matter how much I've tried it does not look good in any way to me. Grey would work, and white for sure. Embrace the dirt though man especially on a canvas shoe, it gives more life and character. Other suggestions: PF Flyers, Tretorn, and Supergas.

JakeTS86

Reaction score
^I agree. Black trainers just don't look good and are probably less versatile than white anyway. The blue marks off my jeans don't really bother me and to be honest, I doubt they are even visible unless someone is examining your feet (for whatever reason!)

aoluffy

Reaction score
can someone please help me with some shirts/dress shirts?

i've been researching for ages but very little advice on decent designers for nice quality nice looking shirts which aren't too pricey. i need a few shirts for casual (i'm thinking about getting a denim one) and a few shirts for formal and clubs/bars etc.

any help appreciated.
frown.gif

and advice on fit would be much appreciated too... e.g. if u have a 42'' chest, do you buy a 43'' shirt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads