• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1969 Gap "Premium Denim"

darmstyle

Reaction score
Apparently Gap's new line of premium denim debuts today, trying to compete with the big fashion brands.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...tory?track=rss

Has anyone seen these yet? They apparently even had a big launch party. I used to wear Gap in my early twenties, and then joined the designer bandwagon like everyone else... I wonder if this is going to get any traction.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I would say to the Gap that you are deceiving the consumer. It's not premium denim," said Jeffrey Lubell, chairman and chief executive of True Religion Apparel Inc., which is based in Vernon.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I literally LOL'd at that comment.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I applaud The Gap for trying to show the general consumer that brands like 7FAM and TR are just over-priced, ill-fitting pieces of trash and that it doesn't matter how much the price tag, but how article of clothing fits on your body...

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
I bought the GAP Japanese Denim skinny selvage jeans not too long ago. They fit pretty good all around but not skin tight skinny. The denim feels real comfortable unlike the raw selvage nudies I own, which is pretty rough on the skin even after 3 months of wear.

So if GAP is upgrading their denim selection then I can only imagine big success for them in the near future.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In response to the True Religion guy's quote, irony at its finest.

dunkin

Reaction score
didnt these jeans come out liek two years ago? i had a pair, they have "Japanese Selvedge Denim" printed insdie the waist....

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunkin
didnt these jeans come out liek two years ago? i had a pair, they have "Japanese Selvedge Denim" printed insdie the waist....

If you read the article...They are re-doing all of their denim, pretty much a total overhaul

darmstyle

Reaction score
This is a brand new line that's just debuting this week. I think they had a pseudo-"premium" attempt last year, but the jeans didn't really change at all. This is supposed to be a heavy shift, though I haven't seen them or tried them on.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than updating the fit on their jeans I don't really see anything different with their "premium" line. Their denim felt the same when I went in to the store. Talking bout the regular denim not the japanese selvedge.

cancel.sing

Reaction score
The new denim launched July 27. This is old news. I don't know why they didn't update the website until today. It is a significant overhaul of Gap's entire denim production process. See the aforementioned thread for plenty of discussion dating back before the launch. It's not bad stuff, as far as mall brands go.
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
I applaud The Gap for trying to show the general consumer that brands like 7FAM and TR are just over-priced, ill-fitting pieces of trash and that it doesn't matter how much the price tag, but how article of clothing fits on your body...
+1 The Straight and Authentic fits are actually really good, slim-straight cuts. For $60, I'm happy with mine.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Selvedge ones are made in Macau (yeah yeah, basically China). I'm wearing a pair right now. There seems to be two models of the selvedge: one has a leather patch on the belt line, the other does not. Also, the leather patch two different colors of thread on the back pocket, while the other is the same.

Over all? So far, I'm pleasantly surprised. Decent, if not thin, denim. A bit cooler to wear in the summer vs. my RRLs (Kinda cold in the morning on the motorcycle). We'll see how they hold up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics