• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amce

Reaction score
Why this fascination with RMW's (and Baxters for that matter)? Good looking footwear in quality leathers? Well constructed, handsomely crafted, with a combination of dressiness and ruggedness? A whiff of the romance of the Outback? I think all of this. But also some down to earth practical reasons. Some wisdom from the OP back in 2006:
Originally Posted by Sator
Bingo! That's exactly how a pair of good boots should fit - hard to get into but heavenly once you do. The snugness around the ankle makes them a struggle to put on when new but it gives exceptional orthotic ankle support. The elastic and leather around the shaft will stretch as they are broken in. If there's plenty of room in the toebox - as there should be - then you'll find that boots like this are about as comfortable as footwear gets. You notice after a long day that there's much less fatigue compared to shoes. In fact shoes are rather uncomfortable to wear once you get the taste of a proper boot.
This is also why I wear these boots. All day and every day. Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my Baxters on the plane from Sydney to California and on the trip back - a 13-14 hour trip, and my feet had never felt more comfy.

Reggie

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if there is any difference in toe shape between the Henry Baxter and the Craftsman. I'm aware that both are chisel toes but is the Baxter wider, flatter or virtually identical to the Craftsman toe? I suppose I'm looking at you when I ask this, Wraith.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own an RMW boot yet, so it's hard for me to say. I'd say they're very similar, the HBC possibly a little flatter as well, but I can't say for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help on this matter. Hopefully others here can chip in with some more specific info.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I don't own an RMW boot yet, so it's hard for me to say. I'd say they're very similar, the HBC possibly a little flatter as well, but I can't say for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help on this matter. Hopefully others here can chip in with some more specific info.

I'll try and take some close-ups of the Comfort Craftsman toe with my crappy digital camera over the weekend. Wraith, maybe you could do the same with your Baxters - if you also happen to have a crappy digital camera
wink.gif

Cheers

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Dumb question time: does the RMW store in London (Bond Street) have published pricing anywhere?

I'm headed to London in two weeks and given the (temporary) strength of the USD vs the GBP, I'm wondering if it's better that I pick up a pair of Stockmans in London rather than here in the US at the NYC store. I've looked online and cannot find separate pricing for the London (or NYC) store to compare.

Thanks in advance.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
I don't think they have an online presence but they do have a sale on at the moment in Bond St - I picked up two pairs of moleskins there yesterday at 50% off (about £50 each).

I didn't really notice if any of the boots were in the sale as I have too many pairs already. Perhaps worth giving them a call?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ Tidybeard, thanks for the heads up, and good to see you here on SF again (was seeing you more on TFL lately). You're right, I could call ... but my travel plans are fixed as I'll be there for business. I have a day to myself in London so stopping by the RMW store is not a huge detour as I'm staying in Kensington. I can only hope the sale is still on when I get there!
smile.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
I'll try and take some close-ups of the Comfort Craftsman toe with my crappy digital camera over the weekend. Wraith, maybe you could do the same with your Baxters - if you also happen to have a crappy digital camera
wink.gif

Cheers

Yep, I can do the same over the weekend with my own crappy camera
wink.gif

Reggie

Reaction score
thanks for all of that lads! Problem solved though. I couldn't get a pair of HBCs in my size for weeks and it just so happened that a store in town had a 25% off sale on RMs. So, as from this morning, I'm shod in a pair of black Comfort Craftsman (s/men?). Thanks for your offers!

whereswally?

Reaction score
I just got my pair of Whisky CC. I’m not sure I’m happy with the finish of the leather though, I really do think its defective / shody work. The outside around the elastic looks frayed about, the heal of the boot is all creased and I’ve never worn them. There’s scratches / marks around the edges of the boot. Seems to be some faint black marks on the leather as well as shiny bits. Here are a few photos: http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2144/boot1r.jpg http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5133/boot2n.jpg http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1248/boot3c.jpg http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4107/boot4a.jpg What do you guys think?

Reggie

Reaction score
I'd be p#ssed off if these are just out of the box! The creases around the heel looks like someone have done some extensive 'trying on' in store (possibly with an overlarge foot). The heels etc crease pretty easliy as the leather is pretty soft. However, the over blacking on the boot and scratches look as though they are manufacturing faults and should not have got through quality control, I'd say. The box should have a "Checked by...". I'd return them and ask for a replacement.

whereswally?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggie
I'd be p#ssed off if these are just out of the box! The creases around the heel looks like someone have done some extensive 'trying on' in store (possibly with an overlarge foot). The heels etc crease pretty easliy as the leather is pretty soft. However, the over blacking on the boot and scratches look as though they are manufacturing faults and should not have got through quality control, I'd say. The box should have a "Checked by...". I'd return them and ask for a replacement.
They straight out of the box that got delivered earlier today.

There are no creases along the vamp of the shoe though that I can tell.

I actually checked and there is no "Checked by" or "Approved By" sticker on them.

Reggie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whereswally?
They straight out of the box that got delivered earlier today.

There are no creases along the vamp of the shoe though that I can tell.

I actually checked and there is no "Checked by" or "Approved By" sticker on them.

I bought a pair last week and was sure that there was a sticker inside the lid of the box. I'll check again tonight. In any case, it would seem fairly irrelevant as the damage is very obvious. Did you buy them through a store or online? Taking them into a physical store would seem to be fairly easy. If through an online store, the photos should be adequate evidence. The creasing is possibly not a major issue because that would happen within an hour or so of wearing them. The gouges and blacking on a light coloured boot would be a major concern for me though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics