• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a dark navy pinstripe suit?

doctorj!

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a dark navy blue pinstripe suit that fits me very well. I was looking around as to what should be worn with it. I saw some that suggested light blue shirts with a simple tie, or a white shirt with a lighter blue tie. And black shoes.

What does everyone here think? I will probably wear it out to dinner with my wife or to a party.

Ankur

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of options for shirts with that -- light blue and white are great (particularly in summer), also lavender, pink, pale greys, etc. Never wear black shoes with navy, only brown. As for ties, I don't wear 'em (don't have to), but I'm sure some fan(s) of the silk leash will chime in with recommendations for you
smile.gif
For going out, I'd do the navy suit with a white shirt, white pocket square, brown slip-ons, no-show socks. Cheers!

Luddite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Never wear black shoes with navy, only brown.

I have been told the opposite. Both rules are equally silly. If you're appearing in Court, or attending an important (and conservative) meeting, consider black shoes. If you're not, consider brown.

A navy suit is one of the basics, and is wearable with most decent shirt and tie combinations. That said, I haven't been brave enough to try pairing a navy suit with a navy or black tie yet...

Doc4

Reaction score
this time of year you probably have a nice tan going, so a lighter yellow dress shirt will go very nicely.

Pennywise the Clown

Reaction score
I think black shoes are fine for navy (as long as it's a dark navy). It's unfeasible for many people to wear brown shoes with navy suits and the navy/black shoes look has been around since time began... Lilac and pink shirts go very well with navy pinstripe suits I find...

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennywise the Clown
I think black shoes are fine for navy (as long as it's a dark navy). It's unfeasible for many people to wear brown shoes with navy suits and the navy/black shoes look has been around since time began... Lilac and pink shirts go very well with navy pinstripe suits I find...

+1

Nothing wrong with black shoes and a navy suit. Brown shoes are fine, as are merlot or any similar color. All of the shirts suggested in the thread make sense -- light blue, white, pastels, etc. Just about any tie you can come up with should be fine as well.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
This is one of the great things about navy and charcoal... brown and black shoes "go" in most cases. Whereas the much despised black suit (at least on SF) really have only one option.

Rob_Sutherland

Reaction score
What colour is the pin stripe? That will make a lot of difference to what you can wear it with?

I'm squarely in the brown shoes with solid navy suits, but with pin stripes I'm more partial to black shoes. In my head navy pin stripes = City = black shoes; whereas solid navy = West End = don't need to wear black, so I can wear my prefered brown.

As as for shirt and tie, my favorite is a light pink shirt (solid, gingham, check, stripes can be done but are harder with a pin striped suit) with a navy grenadine tie.

dzang

Reaction score
I actually wore a navy stripe suit today with a white shirt, yellow tie and merlot shoes.

Volkl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dzang
I actually wore a navy stripe suit today with a white shirt, yellow tie and merlot shoes.

I've got some merlot shoes and have a navy suit in process (not quite pinstripes, but thin blue stripes). I think these shoes would be great, but then I remember on one of the anti-Naples tailoring threads someone posted a picture of guy in a grey pinstripe suit with merlot shoes and ridiculed the shoes for being too light. I realize we have a deep pool of potential ridicule here on SF, but what can anyone provide guidance on the "light/dark" guideline when it comes to matching shoes and suits? What is too light for example for a navy suit?

doctorj!

Reaction score
Will post pics in a couple days wearing different color shoes.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same choice to make this weekend. Going to see Wicked in SF, wearing a nice Dominico Spano peaked lapel navy pinstriped SB suit. I want to wear some nice patina'd brown wholecuts, but I might have to stick to a pair of black monks.

I had the buttons replaced with nice smoked mother of pearl that goes perfectly with the stripe. I can't wait to pick it up Friday and see the results. I think it will become my first WAYRN post when I do.

RUSSBHEEZ

Reaction score
Navy suits are so flexible. There are no rules on blue or black shoes, just depends on the event and how YOU feel. Outside of important business meetings(black shoes are my personal preference), brown shades or cordovan are perfect shoe choices for navy suits. http://www.russbheez.com

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennywise the Clown

Agree. People on this forum hate on black shoes too much. Navy and brown is a tricky combination if you don't know what you're doing. Navy (especially dark navy) and black is a lot safer.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost anything.
Shoes - I often wear C&J cigar shells PTB's by Polo w/navy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads