• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is the job I want...how do I get it?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
Metro: This is the kind of thread that I expect TheApple or Retro to start. Clearly shows you have been hanging out in their threads too much.
You are not looking at this with a discriminating eye. TheApple and Retro are looking to gain some kind of faux-respect from society by becoming hot shots and making "big bucks". They are buying into the worst that capitalism/urban consumerism is selling, hook line and sinker. On the other hand, I am tired of that track and am looking to do something I genuinely enjoy (being social and using people skills instead of analytical skills) while getting paid to do it. I think they are quite different indeed. Edit: Also they are uneducated and pathetic, most likely with a cumulative SAT + IQ score of under 900.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If you have a hairless body, are uncut and relatively thin/young looking, there are a lot of Queens that will give you a hefty stipend to be their eye candy. Think summers in the Hamptons, winters in the Caribbean/Florida and nights biting the pillow.

Not sexy enough for that.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Investment management institutional client relations.

Bingo. We are not talking about broking stocks. We are referring to sales of FUNDS. You just have to memorize 1 pitch book, dial for dollars, sell a track record that isnt yours, and shoot the breeze with institutional investors.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UpperWestie
Bingo. We are not talking about broking stocks. We are referring to sales of FUNDS. You just have to memorize 1 pitch book, dial for dollars, sell a track record that isnt yours, and shoot the breeze with institutional investors.

This was also the first thing that came to mind when I thought of my dream job. What are pre-requisites and how terrible is the career progression prior to reaching the holy land?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The big money is in institutional sales. Extremely tough to break into, though.

Real Estate Development/Acquistions would also fit the bill.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Commercial real estate is a total whore to break into...my friend is doing and having a rough time getting his first few sales.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
The big money is in institutional sales. Extremely tough to break into, though.

Real Estate Development/Acquistions would also fit the bill.

+1

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Commercial real estate is a total whore to break into...my friend is doing and having a rough time getting his first few sales.

Maybe work at it the other way... start in a small company on the finance or analysis side and then push over to the business development stuff.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
This was also the first thing that came to mind when I thought of my dream job. What are pre-requisites and how terrible is the career progression prior to reaching the holy land?

There is institutional research sales which is essentially being a broker. You dont want that. To maximize pay/work ratio, you want institutional investment management marketing, but choose wisely because you dont want to be slinging mutual funds to pensioners. That is a ditch digging job. The ideal gig here is to sling private equity, hedge funds, or real estate funds to state pension, insurance companies or endowments. The career path is pretty mind numbing but not painful in the sense of 15 hour days. You want to start off working for a alternative investment shop (like the funds i mentioned) as a client service professional and work your way up. That entry job entails pitch book production, fielding b/s questions from investors, dirty work. You get exposure to clients and work your way up. All other wall street or real estate jobs require some form of technical expertise. This is one of the pure sales jobs left on the street. u do nothing but smile, shake hands, and try to close. I wont even tell you how much guys who are good here can make.

untilted

Reaction score
alumni relations at a prep school or an elite college. decent $.

institutional sales at an investment bank, something plain vanilla. like cash equities or head of prime brokerage/hedge fund relations. but usually you have to work extremely hard to get there. 200-300k all in easy.

duration

Reaction score
With regards to institutional investment management marketing, what is the progression like - For example, after working for a fewyears as a client service professional, what is the next step? Handling larger accounts/business development for the investment co.? My current role is basically on the other side, as a client, and I do meet fund sales professionals on occasionally.

And yes, I do agree that institutional sales seems to be a good gig if you're a very people person, have no problems with travelling and are passionate about your fund/investment firm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics