• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$125,000 a year in NYC or $250,000 in North Dakota?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I chose NYC even though I would surely die in a massive nuclear attack.
North Dakota is where they keep the ICBMs.
bigstar[1].gif

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
What the hell is wrong with you people? What is so tough about 125K in NY? As long as you aren't of age to be sending your kids to college it is not a bad lifestyle.

i agree. before you get married or need to purchase a house or sth like that, it may not be that bad at all. but with time going on when you are at your 30s, that is probably gon be some tough situation

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
id rather live in NYC off the $50k a year I make now than move to north dakota for any amount of money. Yikes. You cant get your 20's back, no matter how rich you are.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Rube, what's real estate like? Say, 3.5-4k sq ft, in what passes for a good urban area in ND?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
id rather live in NYC off the $50k a year I make now than move to north dakota for any amount of money. Yikes. You cant get your 20's back, no matter how rich you are.

You can so. You just look sort of silly doing it, if you're not careful.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NYC hands down for me. No one says you have to live in Manhattan.
Originally Posted by Xericx
There's no real big need to live in a big city if you're already making some decent money and are well-networked to the outside world. Overnight flights are no biggie. Living in the sticks, I would say you even have more freedom to go anywhere you want.
This is a good idea in theory, but it's not happening in reality. Have you ever lived in an outlying suburb of a major city? You intend to go into the city on a Saturday night, but for whatever reason (too tired, don't want to pay for cab fare, can't find a designated driver), you spend the evening crashing at home or at a nearby bar. Imagine that multiplied by many orders of magnitude.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
NYC hands down for me. No one says you have to live in Manhattan.

This is a good idea in theory, but it's not happening in reality. Have you ever lived in an outlying suburb of a major city? You intend to go into the city on a Saturday night, but for whatever reason (too tired, don't want to pay for cab fare, can't find a designated driver), you spend the evening crashing at home or at a nearby bar. Imagine that multiplied by many orders of magnitude.

Jack Astors/Montanas/Outback Steakhouse in the middle of a big-box shopping center ain't so bad...

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

My parents live in the burbs of a big city. Whenever I visit and I'm having a night out, I just get a hotel room in the city, its actually more fun that way.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
My parents live in the burbs of a big city. Whenever I visit and I'm having a night out, I just get a hotel room in the city, its actually more fun that way.

It wouldn't be more fun if you were paying $350 a night every time you wanted to visit NY.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It wouldn't be more fun if you were paying $350 a night every time you wanted to visit NY.

eh, at $250k a year that isn't a prob. not just NYC, go to Vegas Chicago, Miami or wherever...on 125k a year in NYC...you're stayin' in NY with a trip like every 3-4 months. In N. Dakota you can prob. afford a trip every other weekend with all the money you save.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Rube, what's real estate like? Say, 3.5-4k sq ft, in what passes for a good urban area in ND?

I'm selling a 3000 square foot (plus 1200 s.f. basement) with custom tile baths, incredible kitchen, half-acre lot on a private country club lot for under $400K.

Our ytd average sale price here is only $177K. $250K will buy a lot of house here; not "mansion" but very, very comfortable living.

samblau

Reaction score
I think North Dakota would be a beautiful place to live....that said...I don't know why people think that $125k is not enough to live in NYC. I would agree that you don't live as "well" as you would in other parts of the country but statistics clearly show that most people here do not earn that.

The prime areas near the Park etc. are insanely expensive, but I bet that is true of any large city's best area(s). The city also present many more ways to spend your money...where else can you have a 5 star meal, visit a world class museum, go to a top level show and have a new option every night of the year? The same place that you can go to free shows (i.e. movies in Bryant Park, street performers in Union Sq. etc.) have great cheap food (outer boroughs esp.) take a train 15 minutes to a new part of the city every week, visit parks etc. NYC is not for everyone, in fact, I get sick of it myself. That said, I don't make close to $125k and even with loans and a ridiculously expensive apt. I still manage to live allright...I just need to be smart about it, eating at home during the week, finding cheap bars etc. If in 2/3 years I am still earning the same amount...I'll leave...but I believe the experience (read the letter of recommendation I will get from a federal judge) will help me segway into a career that ultimately pays more than $125k.

I readily admit that it would be strange for me to raise kids in NYC. If you are making bank you are likely working far more than normal hours and no child benefits from absentee parents. Furthermore, with so many kids coming out of NY it is practically a disadvantage to say you are a NY native. Ultimately I would love to invest in a small NYC apt and have another residence in the 'burbs...but that is many years off.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I'm selling a 3000 square foot (plus 1200 s.f. basement) with custom tile baths, incredible kitchen, half-acre lot on a private country club lot for under $400K.

Our ytd average sale price here is only $177K. $250K will buy a lot of house here; not "mansion" but very, very comfortable living.

Noice.

Well, probably at this point in my life, if a gun was placed to my squash and I had to chose, ND. I could have some nice digs, drive nice cars, dress well, play well, and afford to party a few times a years in whatever city I wanted.

I would probably have picked NYC 20 years ago though.

At some point, creature comforts become more important than "exciting."

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Noice.

Well, probably at this point in my life, if a gun was placed to my squash and I had to chose, ND. I could have some nice digs, drive nice cars, dress well, play well, and afford to part a few times a years in whatever city I wanted.

I would probably have picked NYC 20 years ago though.

At some point, creature comforts become more important than "exciting."

Dude, I'm 25 and looking to get the hell out of NYC. That said, I have been here for 7 years and would never move to the countryside, but rather to a foreign city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads