• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
It's hard, really hard. First off because steam punk never really existed, and it's a small genre compared to many other "aesthetics" (sci-fi, fantasy, etc). Not to mention the fact that steampunk itself is a blend of Victorian Sci-Fi, so people tend to focus more on the Victorian aspect and ignore what differentiates steam punk from "Victorian inspired fashions" (I don't know either, FYI). Off the top of my head, the only real way to translate it into an actual, wearable aesthetic (wearable is a loose term here, but if people can walk out onto the streets in GothNinja style then I think we can be lenient on what is wearable) it would combine Victorian influences with a touch of WWII inspired influences (not military, but think of flight jackets and what pilots would wear).
I don't necessarily think military is such a bad look.
w21xn8.jpg
valkyrie.jpg
Valkyrie_cruise_alone.jpg

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Military can be a great look when it's done right. Masculine, classic, rugged. I wonder if our country's endless involvement with war has something to do with how much of an influence it's become.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on Robert, no one ever said bad, I just said it's not "steampunk".

Don't be putting words in my mouth.

EDIT: RCG, will respond later. Too tired at the moment.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Come on Robert, no one ever said bad, I just said it's not "steampunk".

Don't be putting words in my mouth.

I don't be. Wasn't saying you were, I was just making another observation about it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
People, especially people on SF, pay too much attention to individual items of clothing and their respective qualities. How to put together a whole outfit, even with some cheap/common elements, is much more important.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
People, especially people on SF, pay too much attention to individual items of clothing and their respective qualities. How to put together a whole outfit, even with some cheap/common elements, is much more important.
I agree wholeheartedly. However, I think part of it is some people taking a very collector's approach to clothing. And some people getting more satisfaction out of a interestingly detailed or unique piece in a bland outfit rather than a well composed outfit comprised of lower quality/cheaper items. I mean, whatever floats your boat though. People on this forum spend a lot on clothes so i think the best course of action is whatever delivers the most satisfaction, while still looking solid (qualifier thrown in to prevent the "well i get satisfaction from ed hardy" logic
laugh.gif
)

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I agree wholeheartedly. However, I think part of it is some people taking a very collector's approach to clothing. And some people getting more satisfaction out of a interestingly detailed or unique piece in a bland outfit rather than a well composed outfit comprised of lower quality/cheaper items. I mean, whatever floats your boat though. People on this forum spend a lot on clothes so i think the best course of action is whatever delivers the most satisfaction, while still looking solid (qualifier thrown in to prevent the "well i get satisfaction from ed hardy" logic
laugh.gif
)

I agree with this and I think I actually have this problem a little bit. I get caught up thinking about individual pieces and give less thought to make sure everything works as well as it could. Good thing to always keep in mind.

Originally Posted by AGPi
I hate hoodies.

Usually I do too, though I just bought my girlfriend a Dunderdon hoodie and now I want one for myself.
laugh.gif
Really solid construction, good fit, super comfy and slightly more interesting than usual design with a higher zipper. Best part is they retail for 100 USD and always make it to sale time, got my lady firend's for fifty bucks. Destroys all other hoodies in the price range.

AGPi

Reaction score
That's funny - I've had a similar experience. I think women can look great in hoodies. But I'm not crazy about men wearing them.

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AGPi
That's funny - I've had a similar experience. I think women can look great in hoodies. But I'm not crazy about men wearing them.

I agree.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Perhaps you can find a Sweeney Todd inspired one?!

Come on guys, this is some lame ****. Its like saying chinos only looks good on women. A quality hoodie in a decent fit is classic, cant argue with that in a casual context.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's w/ the trend in big poofy pants with the ankle-hugging crotches lately? The Satorialist seems to think they are the cat's meow.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a store that sold Skin/Mod clothes in the States. Sort of like a JtG, but in the U.S. I love their stuff, but having to constantly convert the currency and shipping rates are killing me.

Looking for some place that has a variety of Fred Perry items, decent Ben Sherman shirts, different brands of Harringtons, desert boots, Loakes, Doc Martens, raw denim, etc. If they carried records, I would probably **** in my pants.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I wish there was a store that sold Skin/Mod clothes in the States. Sort of like a JtG, but in the U.S. I love their stuff, but having to constantly convert the currency and shipping rates are killing me.

Looking for some place that has a variety of Fred Perry items, decent Ben Sherman shirts, different brands of Harringtons, desert boots, Loakes, Doc Martens, raw denim, etc. If they carried records, I would probably **** in my pants.

I take it you're not from LA: http://www.posers-hollywood.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads