• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Moo-for only 5 days I'd skip a day trip and stay in the city/Brooklyn.

I forgot pizza!

Best places:

John's on Bleeker
Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge (Brooklyn side)
Lombardi's on Spring
Difara's on Ave J and 13th St in Brooklyn (but you'll wait and its a hike)
Nick's in Forest Hills Queens (also a hike)
L&B Spumoni Gardens Brooklyn (another hike) but the best Sicilian in the world...

I prefer Dani's on Lefferts in Kew Gardens. My wife's folks live opposite Austin on the QB in Forest Hills and we hit Dani's for a slice nearly every time we are home. I miss NYC -- and can't wait to move back.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents. Search the chowhound.com forum for restaurant suggestions. Lots of recommendations by cuisine and area. If you like espresso then I liked Joe The Art of Coffee which has a website and several cafes throughout NYC.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
As for hotels... we are staying in the Roosevelt. It's cheap and in a good location. I'd rather spend the money on activities/shopping/food than a nicer room. Anyone agree?

All you need is a good, clean, serviceable room if you're on a budget - some place that is inviting when you return from a long day of siteseeing and shopping. I too would rather spend the cash on food and clothes. I'm not big time, so I think blowing $500 a night on a hotel room is ridiculous. I Pricelined the Grand Central Hyatt for a little over $100 a night (+ taxes, etc.). It's a 4-star business hotel, so we knew we would get something clean, and the location was perfect. Room was a little dark, but suitable for our needs. Don't know anything about the Roosevelt. Trip Advisor for reviews, if you haven't already, will be more than helpful.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be making a trip to New York City for our 1 year wedding anniversary in October. We don't have any family or close friends there, so we'll likely be on our own. We are going to be there for 5 days. I haven't been there since I was 12 and she has never been, so we'll be very touristy.

I'm looking for recommendations about must do/must see things, including shopping to keep it MC approved.
smile.gif
Interested in restaurants, buildings, cool photo op places, best shows to see, etc.

Also, do you recommend renting a car or should we cab/subway it the whole time?

Also, what would be a good one day trip to take (i.e. leave early in the AM and come back in the evening)? Niagara Falls seems like it's too far for that (800 miles round trip). Any other ideas?

Thanks guys!

No close friends in NYC? You can't be serious? What about the your SF friends? Most are dying to meet you. Sent out some emails and report back.
Take the day trip to Boston and hang out with VOX? I think you under estimated your popularity on SF?

peepwall[1].gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
As an Italian-American, I can confidently say that a large portion of most Italian-Americans have no idea what authentic Italian cuisine is either.

By authentic, you probably mean Northern Italian...I'd swallow arsenic before I eat their food.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
No close friends in NYC? You can't be serious? What about the your SF friends? Most are dying to meet you. Sent out some emails and report back.
Take the day trip to Boston and hang out with VOX? I think you under estimated your popularity on SF?

peepwall[1].gif

he and foo should double date.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for hotels... we are staying in the Roosevelt. It's cheap and in a good location. I'd rather spend the money on activities/shopping/food than a nicer room. Anyone agree?

This would be my approach. Where is the hotel?

One of our favorite restaurants in the city is a little hole in the wall called Hagi Sake Bar. It's a Japanese small-dish restaurant on 49th between 6th and 7th, basement level. It's casual and relatively inexpensive. Simple but excellent.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great suggestions have already been made. I'd add Jean Georges to your restaurant list: http://www.jean-georges.com/. You can combine the dinner there with your visit to Central Park.

It's a bit on the $$$ side, but the food and ambience is great.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For Italian, we like Lupa, Celeste, and Il Gattopardo. Lupa is Battali's Roman trattoria-style restaurant in the West Village. The other two are Neapolitan/Southern Italian restaurants. Celeste is on the Upper West Side and much more casual than Il Gattopardo, which is in Midtown (54th between 5th and 6th, I think). The paccheri genovese at Il Gattopardo is maybe the best pasta dish I've had in Manhattan--tied with the carbonara at Lupa. As far as I can tell, they're all very authentic to the regional cuisines they report to serve. Lupa is exactly like a little (very good) restaurant you might stumble upon in Rome, down to the decor and ambience. You'd be amazed at how much crappy Italian food gets raved over in the city. If you make a macaroni-and-cheese dish with expensive parmesan, you'll be booked for weeks.

I've never been to Babbo, but I thought Del Posto (Battali's highest end restaurant) was overrated.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This would be my approach. Where is the hotel?

One of our favorite restaurants in the city is a little hole in the wall called Hagi Sake Bar. It's a Japanese small-dish restaurant on 49th between 6th and 7th, basement level. It's casual and relatively inexpensive. Simple but excellent.

Seconding this place - you can buy a bottle of something strong and they'll put your name on it so you can stop by every day after work to work on it. Note that Hagi is downstairs, it's not the same as the restaurant above ground. Sakagura is the big version of underground japanese food if you happen to love eating japanese in basements.

I'd recommend taking a boat tour around the city, it'll give you an interesting perspective on NY that you don't get from the air or walking/driving, they're full of trivia and you'll appreciate sitting down for a few hours.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention if you go full touristy and want to visit the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island then you need to reserve/purchase tickets ahead of time via their website.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
Forgot to mention if you go full touristy and want to visit the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island then you need to reserve/purchase tickets ahead of time via their website.

And spring for the express tickets at the Empire State building. You don't want the missus to be stuck in line for three hours.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
And spring for the express tickets at the Empire State building. You don't want the missus to be stuck in line for three hours.

If you go to the Top of the Rock, no need to go to the top of the Empire State building.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
If you go to the Top of the Rock, no need to go to the top of the Empire State building.

Well, if you want to be touristy and have never been to NYC, how can you not go to the Empire State building?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads