• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

pokey07

Reaction score
I'm pretty pathetic. I feel like I'm going no where in life, wasted 5 years in college only to end up working a ****** part-time job.

stevenvg

Reaction score
ebay is making me broke.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to the cinema is epic fail. Yesterday I went to see Public Enemies and the cinema was full of annoying people. Last row had 3 guys complaining about how boring the movie is and that they nearly fall asleep. One row in front of me were 4 guidos (I guess that's what Jabbos translates to the closest) who were talking half of the movie, making jokes and laughing loud.

And that in a movie at 23:00 in the night
plain.gif

Next to me sat a really cute Latina ... but she had her BF with her and was snuffling the whole movie, so I decided I won't try to use the darkness of the cinema to examine her for swine flue.

stevenvg

Reaction score
cant sleep.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Having to **** every hour on the hour. Is it possible to burn out your asshole?
So, it turns out that the dreaded asshole blowout did not occur. Fun stuff that medical testing. Whoever thought up the name GoLightly should be shot. Best part, I get to do it again next week. Apparently, my "prep" was not good enough. WTF
censored.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Campus bookstores. Especially when run by B&N -- they charge 25% higher cost than you can buy the books from B&N's own website. It's the cabal.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Campus bookstores. Especially when run by B&N -- they charge 25% higher cost than you can buy the books from B&N's own website. It's the cabal.
I hear that a lot of universities have started outsourcing bookstores to B&N. I wonder who is benefiting the most from this. In your case, it doesn't sound like it's the student.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy them on-line then. Or another option is to buy the previous edition used on-line and simply make sure you're reading the right stuff according to the syllabus. You're a smart guy and can figure it out. This is especially easy in intro classes where the subject matter doesn't change from edition to edition. Photocopy the problems sets, etc. at the end from a classmate if you need them.

Not sure how well this works for advanced books or grad school stuff--but I can't imagine it's much different.

b

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Buy them on-line then. Or another option is to buy the previous edition used on-line and simply make sure you're reading the right stuff according to the syllabus. You're a smart guy and can figure it out. This is especially easy in intro classes where the subject matter doesn't change from edition to edition. Photocopy the problems sets, etc. at the end from a classmate if you need them. Not sure how well this works for advanced books or grad school stuff--but I can't imagine it's much different. b
And I do, rd, I do. I have books coming in from six different sources, and will bid on one on eBay tomorrow. I couldn't just swipe Daddy's card in undergrad (well, I could, because he would do anything for me, but it would really have created a problem for him some semesters) so I was really thrifty and used a number of dodges. Got bit a few times for it, too. But is it too much to ask that I don't get shafted by the campus bookstore? Can't I just purchase the books at less than ripoff rates, at their own internal pricing? But of course there are difficulties -- some of the books from B&N online have 1-2wks delay until shipping, and since the book list is released nine days before classes start one is really hard against it. The campus bookstore quotes two prices -- used and new. But they will not tell you if a used book is available until after the order is processed. It really smacks of a racket, as does a number of things about college, and I am becoming quite bitter about that. I used to believe in Higher Education, but less and less so the more I am exposed to it. As for advanced books, at least with my grad engineering stuff you had to assume you would be out of luck -- esoteric fracture mechanics softcover, 250pp, $300 bucks. ~ H

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I've found that a lot of the books I need can be found for a pittance at local bookstores. There are still some that I can get online for like $2, but there are a ton of bookstores in this city and it is pretty easy to find the books you need. Usually costs less to get them there when shipping is factored in.

Hunts brings up a good point about temporal issues. If you need a book right away, you can usually forget about it getting it from Amazon Used/Abebooks/Alibris.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After my first year of undergrad I almost completely stopped buying books. I'd just use my friends' books or go to the library. I hated carrying the ******* things around and realized that even when I did buy them I'd end up doing work with my friends and just all using one book. I'm pretty sure you could do most of undergrad without having to buy books, especially considering that there's so many copies on reserve at libraries and a lot of what you need is online.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
And I do, rd, I do. I have books coming in from six different sources, and will bid on one on eBay tomorrow.

I couldn't just swipe Daddy's card in undergrad (well, I could, because he would do anything for me, but it would really have created a problem for him some semesters) so I was really thrifty and used a number of dodges. Got bit a few times for it, too.

But is it too much to ask that I don't get shafted by the campus bookstore? Can't I just purchase the books at less than ripoff rates, at their own internal pricing? But of course there are difficulties -- some of the books from B&N online have 1-2wks delay until shipping, and since the book list is released nine days before classes start one is really hard against it. The campus bookstore quotes two prices -- used and new. But they will not tell you if a used book is available until after the order is processed. It really smacks of a racket, as does a number of things about college, and I am becoming quite bitter about that. I used to believe in Higher Education, but less and less so the more I am exposed to it.

As for advanced books, at least with my grad engineering stuff you had to assume you would be out of luck -- esoteric fracture mechanics softcover, 250pp, $300 bucks.

~ H

Find an Indian friend and get him/her to buy it there and ship it over.

Had friends back in college that had their semester's worth of textbook sent over for a fraction. Paper quality isn't as good as you would might touch from the textbook you buy at your local/college bookshop.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But is it too much to ask that I don't get shafted by the campus bookstore? Can't I just purchase the books at less than ripoff rates, at their own internal pricing?

I agree with you completely. Add to that the fact that textbook publishing is not the most competitive market in the world and you get a bad combination. This move to franchise takes the hassle and cost out of the college's hands, but absolutely screws students, imo.

I'm just waiting for the day, though, when students ditch the campus store for something else. For instance, the students getting together and running an end-of-semester book swap.

Hell, at my alma mater, the University of Washigton, the bookstore was (still is?) a co-op.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads