• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

cancel.sing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tanxp
They messed with the fit of the selvage authentics. I laid the authentic selvage and straight normal jeans over each other and they have reduced the slight boot cut of the authentics.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, because the Authentic is a brand new fit that never existed before July 27. It has always been a straight leg; the only difference between the Authentic and the Straight is that the Straight has a lower rise.
Originally Posted by nonissue
So, went in again today. An SA told me that he THINKS they won't be doing 34 inseams in canada in a lot of the new denim, can any gap employees confirm this? He did a merch check and nothing came up.
If the denim has a white waistband tag, it comes in full size runs. If it has a black waistband tag, sizing is more limited (there is, as far as I can tell, no 28, 33 or 38 waist sizes) but I think that there are 34 lengths in every style in at least some sizes. I could be wrong though. Which location did you go to?
Originally Posted by raginberriodoom
there's a blue chambray and a gray chambray for those who are confused. the chest pockets are different.
The chest pockets on the chambrays are the same. They're just different colours.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing
I'm not sure what you're talking about, because the Authentic is a brand new fit that never existed before July 27. It has always been a straight leg; the only difference between the Authentic and the Straight is that the Straight has a lower rise.

If the denim has a white waistband tag, it comes in full size runs. If it has a black waistband tag, sizing is more limited (there is, as far as I can tell, no 28, 33 or 38 waist sizes) but I think that there are 34 lengths in every style in at least some sizes. I could be wrong though. Which location did you go to?

The chest pockets on the chambrays are the same. They're just different colours.

I live in calgary, so I've been to a gap in Market Mall, which isn't all that big. We have a flagship though, and I hit that up last weekend and it was the same deal.

I had a similar problem with the authentic japanese selvedge last year. could never find a 34 inseam.

Thrifter

Reaction score
I got a pair of the Authentic fit selvedge raws the other day and 4-5" of stitching on the inseam started ripping out on the first wear. I really like them so I'm going to try to get an exchange.

Price was $110 in Canada.

tanxp

Reaction score
cancel.sing you obviously didnt read my earlier posts where I had noted all the measurements of the jeans from when I went into a store. The authentic prewashed in the store were wider in the opening and in the knee than the straights. On the raw authentics that I just got in the mail, the opening is only 8.5 or perhaps slightly smaller and the knee is also more tapered. The overall fit resembles the straight fit except for the higher rise.
so when i say they messed with it I mean the raw version I received have different measurements than the prewashed authentics I measured in the store.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cancel.sing

the blue chambray has flap pockets, whereas the gray one has no flaps. i own the gray one, and i've tried on the blue.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
the blue chambray has flap pockets, whereas the gray one has no flaps. i own the gray one, and i've tried on the blue.

Can you put up a picture of the gray chambray? I'd like to see what it looks like but no picture on the website.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is the fit any different between the two?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my order today.

I like the jacket. I got it in XS. It's relatively stiff and dark, but the photo online makes it appear a bit more so.

On the back along the bottom are a pair of button cinches that could be used to make it a slimmer fit, but I am not sure they can be effectively used. They 'pinch' fabric to achieve this effect, which alters the entire back of the thing in an unnatural way. They are probably more decoration than function.

The jacket is short. It's probably intentional. The thing seems fine at 40% off.

The rigid gray straights are nice. A dark gray with some vertical falling and gray, lightly contrast stitching. The rise feels low and took a minute to get used to. Similar fit in the top block as last year's rigid selv skinny. Relatively rigid.

Didn't get a chance to try on the cabernet colored skinnies, but the color is a nice, deep, and flat red.

It feels weird to say, but all three of these items seem solid to me. I wouldn't pay Gap $88 for a supposedly raw denim, but I will pay $53 for something unusual that I have no good equivalent of in my wardrobe (ie - a 'raw' denim jacket and grey / cabernet jeans).

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
is the fit any different between the two?

Nah, but they're both pretty bad IMHO. Fabric feels awful as well.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Received my order today.

The rigid gray straights are nice. A dark gray with some vertical falling and gray, lightly contrast stitching. The rise feels low and took a minute to get used to. Similar fit in the top block as last year's rigid selv skinny. Relatively rigid.

are u talkin about these?
gp675335-00p01v01.jpg

could u provide measurements on them? i didnt order them but i was curious to see how they measured

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like them, ya. I can maybe measure Sunday night. Wore them at work 12 hrs yesterday and they held up well. I am really impressed. At $53 w/ a 40% off coupon, I simply cannot imagine a better grey jean, dollar for dollar.

Wearing the caberet skinnies to work tonight. I am also liking them a lot. They have a very trouser feel to them, which is exactly what I'm looking for. They remind me very much of Levi 514 Tex Twills from UO, of which I own both colors and really enjoy wearing. I have no blue, though, seriously thinking about watching Gap.com and buying the blue skinnies when another 40% off comes through.

These Gap skinnies, like the grey straights, feel very low rise to me. I have trouble imagining how the average Gap customer would tolerate wearing this low rise stuff. The waist on the 29's is a damn near perfect fit on me, but I am still cinching a belt tight to hold them exactly on the notch of my hips. If I don't, ass crack flies out when I bend over.

gt33

Reaction score
i have 3 pairs od the old selvege gap denim and that is my only complaint-the incredibly low rise. how does the rise on these new ones compare? is the authentic the only pair with a higher rise?

DuFace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Received my order today.

I like the jacket. I got it in XS. It's relatively stiff and dark, but the photo online makes it appear a bit more so.

On the back along the bottom are a pair of button cinches that could be used to make it a slimmer fit, but I am not sure they can be effectively used. They 'pinch' fabric to achieve this effect, which alters the entire back of the thing in an unnatural way. They are probably more decoration than function.

The jacket is short. It's probably intentional. The thing seems fine at 40% off.

Didn't get a chance to try on the cabernet colored skinnies, but the color is a nice, deep, and flat red.

It feels weird to say, but all three of these items seem solid to me. I wouldn't pay Gap $88 for a supposedly raw denim, but I will pay $53 for something unusual that I have no good equivalent of in my wardrobe (ie - a 'raw' denim jacket and grey / cabernet jeans).

I agree that the jacket was pretty solid, I'm actually regretting returning it a little. the construction seemed pretty spot on, but I ended up deciding that I didn't really need a jean jacket for $60.

PattyC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuFace
I agree that the jacket was pretty solid, I'm actually regretting returning it a little. the construction seemed pretty spot on, but I ended up deciding that I didn't really need a jean jacket for $60.

Does yours fit similar to mine? I posted pics about 2-3 pages back, some people mentioned it was too short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads