• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you do for an internship at Goldman Sachs?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Pretty badddddddddddddddd. I came to the realization when I subscribed to the Wall Street Journal twice, but still managed to not read it. I had to force myself to even read a couple pages.
So quiet life of mediocrity then? Chubby wife, a couple of bratty kids who end up hating you, Toyota Camry, hoping your bonus will help you pay off that garden furniture your stupid wife wanted? Living the American dream, yo... Whats your educational background like? What do you think you're going to end up doing?

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
So quiet life of mediocrity then? Chubby wife, a couple of bratty kids who end up hating you, Toyota Camry, hoping your bonus will help you pay off that garden furniture your stupid wife wanted?

Living the American dream, yo...

Whats your educational background like? What do you think you're going to end up doing?

haha I hope I end up with none of the above...

I went to a state university (maybe top 70?). Overall my college experience was pretty miserable. Everything fell apart when my dad died suddenly. Did pretty horrible for a couple semesters, but was able to pull it together and end up with a decent GPA.

Right now I'm looking into grad degrees in Accounting for people with liberal arts degrees. If I could get into a good program, hopefully I could make some moves from there.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I turned down a GS internship. Not worth my time.

Oligarch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07

I came to the realization when I subscribed to the Wall Street Journal twice, but still managed to not read it. I had to force myself to even read a couple pages.

WSJ is pretty key reading in this world -- even if you're not employed by a bank, you probably have some savings and need to manage those carefully... unless you trust Uncle Sam to do "the right thing"

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
GS does internships. I started one for their DC office but never finished it.

I would go on live TV and beat the **** out of Jim Cramer, I'd be doing some type of service to the community at the same time?
confused.gif

u r hired

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
work at a hedge fund. hours are much much much better. pay is equal or better. potential pay is better. didn't see any of the top brass at goldman pulling in over a billion last year did we?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RetroFlow
You're lying.
Hmm? No. I found the people to be absolute idiots. Ended up going to Lehman instead (this was 2003). A fellow Yale alumnus hired me on the spot!

RetroFlow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Hmm? No. I found the people to be absolute idiots. Ended up going to Lehman instead (this was 2003). A fellow Yale alumnus hired me on the spot!

I was only joking around. But could you comment on the internship application process? You're from Yale? Uh oh...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RetroFlow
I was only joking around. But could you comment on the internship application process? You're from Yale? Uh oh...

WINNAH!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
work at a hedge fund. hours are much much much better. pay is equal or better. potential pay is better. didn't see any of the top brass at goldman pulling in over a billion last year did we?

yes, we all know how hedge funds love fresh out of school undergrads.. totally..

UGH.

HedgeFundHotSHot

Reaction score
yes, we all know how hedge funds love fresh out of school undergrads.. totally..

UGH.

+1

going for HF without at least 2 years IB experience and only an undergrad is harder than selling Macy's goods at a 150% mark-up on styleforum

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UGH.

It is definitely possible and it certainly happens. If he is competitive enough for Goldman IBanking then he can find a hedge fund somewhere that will take him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads