• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

foxnwolf

Reaction score
WANT Les Essentiels de la Vie:
Tote $150
Great for summer/little things. I heard Jcrew was going to start carrying this brand..

M0851 (was Rugby North America)
Postman Bag $400+?
Ultra-soft leather. The interior lining is for girls though..

bal-pm-10-11.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Rach- I can't believe I just read through this entire thread. This is really good stuff and I enjoy your comments. Good work.

Thanks; though, I must admit, if you want a really good thread, you should head on over to "Prof. Fab`s Exquisitely **** Summer."
lol8[1].gif
j/k

Thanks for the Brady suggestion; I haven`t had one of their bags or had the chance to handle them in person. They look quite nice, something like the Holland & Holland bags I have had, in that nice, relaxed, yet still very elegant british hunting style.

Anyway, I will be back in the States in a few weeks and will do some updating then. Until then, I`m just checking in from time to time on a borrowed laptop with a whacky keyboard and all the keys in the wrong place.

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foxnwolf
WANT Les Essentiels de la Vie:
Tote $150
Great for summer/little things. I heard Jcrew was going to start carrying this brand..

M0851 (was Rugby North America)
Postman Bag $400+?
Ultra-soft leather. The interior lining is for girls though..

WANT Les Essentiels - they have some nice bags, but very $$$ though.... I had one but decided to sell it because the size wasn't suitable for me. It was hard to let go though because it was so nice (good construction, nice leather). I wish they'd make their shoulder straps out of leather instead of canvas.

M0851 - yes! I was going to write something about them. I have never owned their bags but I have some leather accessories from back when they were called Rugby North America - the leather still look fantastic after almost 10 years! Their bags look good, but I can't seem to find one that's suitable for my needs.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
^I like it a lot. Thing looks plush.

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, advice for vintage BV?

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Picked this up recently at the Sunday market. A vintage (early 80's ? ) Bree, that looks to have been used & abused daily for about 25 years. The natural leather is just starting to take on a nice patina. Other than a couple of water stains, the thing is in great nik. Are the new Bree's made as good as the old ones?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
That's it. You have convinced me. I am officially in love with Glaser Designs.
inlove.gif
What size is it, and what type of leather?

Me too.

Nice photo's, mate.

I think I should save for one of them next year. Just looks fantastic, and the customization options are great.

Good to see the leather quality is rated high.

When my Krane bag arrives, I'll take some photo's and post em up.

I've got the messenger coming soon and should have the duffle later in the month.

I may also get some outerwear as well, an older piece on discount in my size.

Rach, this thread delivers.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed any reviews on these bags, my break at work ended when I got about halfway through haha. So I'm a student (aka have a limited budget) and I'm looking for a messenger bag for the coming year. I love the filson 256 and the Ernest Alexander bags, but can't afford it, especially when I factor in exchange rate and shipping to Canada
frown.gif
one day maybe haha. But for now I'm looking for something affordable and all I've seen is the ones by Fred Perry and ben Sherman. What is the quality like on them? I also like the j. Crew messenger, but at $100 usd plus shipping, it'd have to be a really damn good bag haha. Thanks for your help!

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned
Sorry if I missed any reviews on these bags, my break at work ended when I got about halfway through haha. So I'm a student (aka have a limited budget) and I'm looking for a messenger bag for the coming year. I love the filson 256 and the Ernest Alexander bags, but can't afford it, especially when I factor in exchange rate and shipping to Canada
frown.gif
one day maybe haha. But for now I'm looking for something affordable and all I've seen is the ones by Fred Perry and ben Sherman. What is the quality like on them? I also like the j. Crew messenger, but at $100 usd plus shipping, it'd have to be a really damn good bag haha. Thanks for your help!

If you like the 256 I would save up the extra bucks and get it (eat more ramen). It really isn't much over your budget if you buy from Crane's. I have one on the way.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
If you like the 256 I would save up the extra bucks and get it (eat more ramen). It really isn't much over your budget if you buy from Crane's. I have one on the way.

When I look at the fact that I set out with a $75 CAD Budget and then look that after exchange and SFD the Filson bag is around $165 CAD + I'm assuming another $20 USD for shipping, I'm looking at around $185 CAD. Not saying the bags not worth the extra money, hell, I'd be more than happy to basically double my budget for one, but $185 is a bit more than my broke ass can afford right now, no matter how much ramen I eat.

pdsf

Reaction score
I think it's fantastic that you are being sensible with your money! Don't be like me.... I'd suggest if you can, wait and save a bit more money so you can get a better bag. Filson = good investment + years of good use, so it's worth it in the long run. Crane's is doing free shipping to the US at the moment, maybe they could give you a shipping discount to Canada? That may help a bit? I just sold a Jack Spade bag that's within your budget
frown.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
Picked this up recently at the Sunday market. A vintage (early 80's ? ) Bree, that looks to have been used & abused daily for about 25 years. The natural leather is just starting to take on a nice patina. Other than a couple of water stains, the thing is in great nik. Are the new Bree's made as good as the old ones?

That's a very cool bag. I have a black Bree leather duffel bag. Bought in 2002, still love it. I don't see Bree around much. They have a store where I live, but there's nothing in there that catches my eye, just alot of different bags made from various high-tech synthetic materials.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok we got in some of the new Passage luggage from Filson in. I've seen all the pictures and decided I wanted to see the stuff before I said anything.

Well the line is very nice. It's pushing the envelope for Filson and some diehards might try to bad rap this line but I'm not one of them. These pieces were well thought out for use by today's adventurer. Think technology driven as far as the organization panels are concerned not to mention almost all the business bags have padded laptop compartments. The look of the bags is different. The mix of bridal leather cordura and a traditional design makes them interesting to look at and they just sort of grow on you. It's hard to explain. You'll just have to handle them in person to see what I mean.

Both Dave and I agree that this line was a good move on Filson's part. Dave is taking home a messenger style bag and I'm grabbing a briefcase. In black of course.

I got pics and will probably post them in a new thread in a day or two.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously can someone did a quick review on Visvim and YSL bags. Thanks alot.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
That's a very cool bag. I have a black Bree leather duffel bag. Bought in 2002, still love it. I don't see Bree around much. They have a store where I live, but there's nothing in there that catches my eye, just alot of different bags made from various high-tech synthetic materials.
Yea...there's still a BREE boutique here in Yorkville, but you're right...something about the line just doesn't appeal to me any more. But there was something about the stuff that appealed to me back in the 80's...maybe it was just the times...or maybe it was just better stuff...maybe a bit of both. I also used to think Roots had some nice, rugged quality leather goods back in the 80's too...and it was priced quite reasonably I thought. Some vintage products seem to be better than the new offerings for some brands i guess. Some things also get better with age...I would actually pay more for certain items with aged patina over new.

Anyway, it's always nice to pick up something you really thought was cool a long time ago, but weren't able to have at the time....it adds a certain personal intrinsic value.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?
40 bucks (CDN of course).

For any locals who might not be aware...the Sunday St Lawrence antique market might not specialize in vintage luxury clothing/accessories, but some pretty sweet deals can be had for those who go early and have a sharp eye.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics